House on a Hill Hometheater Build Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ran my up front speaker wires in the stud wall last night. Once the dry wall goes up the speaker wires will be stubbed through the dry wall. I will use green glue caulk/sealant to seal off the hole. The whisper clips started going up as well.

Right wall
4-M.jpg

Rear Wall
5-M.jpg

Left Wall
3-M.jpg

Front Wall
2-M.jpg

The room is starting to feel smaller and smaller. I know it is a decent size room but I think it should have been a little wider and a little longer. To bad I was a bit limited. Oh well I am sure it will still be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

This whisper channels are up! Dry wall should be going up in this room next week. Excited to start building the riser and stage!

6-M.jpg

5-M.jpg

4-M.jpg

3-M.jpg

2-M.jpg

1-M.jpg
post #63 of 78 Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Dry wall is up! They are mudding and prepping the walls for primer. I forgot to take pictures the last time I was out there. I did start cutting wood last night for my stage. I am building it in 4 sections at my brothers barn. I will bring it out there and assemble it in the room. I went with all pressure treated lumber as the builder did not think a vapor barrier alone would be enough with our picky building inspector. I am able to user their account at the local lumber house so that is a perk!

Design thanks to Bacon's sketch on his build thread.
Stage%203D1-M.jpg

Top Down View
Stage%203D2-M.jpg

The wood is cut for part of it.
Photo%20Nov%2018%2C%207%2019%2053%20PM-M.jpg
post #64 of 78 Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Sanding down the drywall today. Primer should be going on next week.

Front Wall
Photo%20Nov%2021%2C%203%2048%2029%20PM-M.jpg

Rear Wall
Photo%20Nov%2021%2C%203%2048%2040%20PM-M.jpg
post #65 of 78 Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Just an FYI. The house is almost finished being built. Once we move in I am going to start on the theater room. With a new born it was hard to break away and build at the new house.
post #66 of 78 Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I did that same stage design and really like it. I get lots of complements on it. Here's a picture before the subs and seats were installed.

pudu8udy.jpg

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
post #67 of 78 Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Looks great! I have been toying around with changing it a bit. Basically lowering it and not building the step. Still having the round area but low enough so a step is not needed. The reason for doing this is the ceiling height by the screen is 8', the rest of the room is 9'. I might want those few extra inches for better vertical screen placement.
post #68 of 78 Old 03-04-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Looks great! I have been toying around with changing it a bit. Basically lowering it and not building the step. Still having the round area but low enough so a step is not needed. The reason for doing this is the ceiling height by the screen is 8', the rest of the room is 9'. I might want those few extra inches for better vertical screen placement.

Yeah, mine is 12" high. My ceilings are 9 feet, but the soffit drops it about 12" (going from memory).

As you can see, after my baseboard is added I've only got about 4-5" clearance of the screen range top and bottom. It's a good looking, but also tight, fit.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
post #69 of 78 Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to keep my stage with 2x10's. And then use two 3/4" plywood on top of that. I think there should be plenty of vertical height yet, especially for a scope screen.
post #70 of 78 Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Getting rid of the curved stage. Will make building a little easier and fits with the rooms shape a bit better.

post #71 of 78 Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

We are moved into the house! Now I need to organize and put things away before getting on with the build! Currently selling off my old equipment from the old house.
post #72 of 78 Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Wow it has been awhile. We are getting settled into the house. I have finished building a few storage areas that have been a bit more important than the theater build. I saw that most build their stage and riser 1/4" away from the wall. Do you fill this gap with insulation or just leave it air. Also do you keep the plywood / OSB platform a 1/4" away from the walls as well? Makes sense if you do.

The plan is two potentially place two extra subwoofers at the rear of the room on top of the riser. The plan was to build 3 separate platforms. 2 with sand for the subs and 1 for the seats. When attaching plywood can the plywood/OSB be screwed to all of the frames as one or do I need to separate that into 3's as well. Does that make sense?
post #73 of 78 Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 279
The Illuminati of this Forum recommend that the platforms remain separate with a minimal gap of 1/4" between each other.
post #74 of 78 Old 06-07-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Construction has begun again! I was able to work on the stage a bit today. I put a layer of 30lb roofing felt on the ground and built on top of that. The stage is being built out of 2x10's. I originally started using pretreated lumber as my intentions were to start before final inspection. The home inspector has been quite the guy. Now that we have finally have official occupancy and he will not be around anymore I will be using standard lumber on roofing felt from now on.

I hate warped lumber, I got the best pieces I could but sure does make things a little bit more difficult. Also good thing I picked up a bunch of shims. Need to use quite a few of them to keep things fairly level.

Roofing Felt

First Section

Second Section

Leveling out and adding the remaining pieces

Adding the stair step. need to run to the store and get a 2x6x14

The plan was to leave a .25" to .5" gap on the sides and back. Taking measurements from the back wall to the font to try and keep the front straight. Everything is not perfect but I should be the only one that knows. First time building something like this and it can be a bit intimidating.
post #75 of 78 Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Was able to put a few more hours in today. My wife and I have been taking turns watching our 11 month old to get things done around the house. I finished up the front step. Getting the angles for a newbie was a bit of trial and error. Should be good enough! It only took about 4 cuts until I got the angle I really wanted.

Front Step on the stage

Front Stage View 1

Front Stage View 2

Ready to get plastic to fill in the areas and start brining sand home each night. I do plan on having the ability to add 2 subwoofers on the seating riser. So the riser will be built in three sections. 2 platforms for each subwoofer and the main platform which may or may not be used as a general base trap. I will build as such and see where the wind takes me.

Rear of theater laying down the 30lb roofing felt. Wires in the back go to the AV room. I have one cable for audyseey calibration, one rca to send test tones, 2 rca's for passive subs and 2 speaker wires for active subs.

Filling the gaps with the same putty I used to cover the electrical boxes.

All wood is cut for the 2 rear sub platforms. I will probably build them tomorrow.
post #76 of 78 Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Trying layouts for the rear riser. As you can see the door is not in the best location. The location of the door cannot change due to a kitchenette on the other side. The wife demanded symmetry in the kitchenette so I gave in. I figured I would make due with the space I was given. As you can see this makes for an awkward riser. Just wondering opinions of other designs I could possibly do. I plan on a 130" scope screen. I would not mind going bigger if a projector can be purchased reasonably ($4,000) to light it. With this design the front edge of the riser would be 11' from the front of the AT screen. Not sure how much spacing would be needed for the next row but I am assuming that row will probably be at 15'-16' from the screen. I was trying to avoid seats at 12'4" as it is the center of the room. If I bring back the riser a 1'6" it would probably open it up just a bit more. The room is 295.25" long. Thoughts?

post #77 of 78 Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Put a mock 130" screen on the wall to determine how far the front row will be from the screen. I think I will plan about 11' or so. It will be pretty immersive at that distance which I think will be nice for some movies. The second row will be around 16' back, so I will be able to have 2 wonderful choices.

Before starting any further on the riser I thought I would join the club and start with bringing sand down to the basement. I have been picking up 12 bags at a time throughout the week at The Home Depot. The basement is a walkout and the theater doors is right across from the slider so that helps things. I can put 5 bags in my wheelbarrow and bring them down the hill.

I still need to put a bag or two to fill the sections completely up.

I am going to have the option of placing two subwoofers in the rear of the room as well. I built two independent platforms that will be filled with sand too.

I jacked up my neck some how so I am taking a break from filling with sand. I do not think it is related but it sure does not feel good to move my head around.
post #78 of 78 Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Put in a bit more sand today. Wow I should have kept track of how many bags I have been using. It has been nice to spread it out over a few weeks though. I have the two larger areas yet to fill and then the small spots on the sides. I will be putting insulation in the step. Then it is on to a few more bones in the back and filling the two subwoofer platforms.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page