House on a Hill Hometheater Build Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Soffit Frame

This how I did mine, which was to follow BIGmouthinDC, measured the distance needed, laid everything out and assembled it on the floor (work bench) and then put it up as one unit. It really is not that heavy, just a little bulky but can be done, easier if you have 2 people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1358.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	384546  

Creekside Stone Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post
I got the metal channel at Menards. It was called a 1-5/8" drywall track. Just following Jeff's light build soffit idea/plan. So far it seems to be working well. I plan on finishing up the furring strips this weekend and then starting on drywall.

Room is looking good. Riser looks like it works great for the door too!

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
April 2015 HToM <> SuperCharged 10 second II
Old 11-26-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I worked on the room a bit more last night. I added some 2x4's to the ceiling near the stage. I plan on ripping down more 2x4"s to the height of the front soffit and attaching them to the ceiling furring strips. I will then be able to extend the drywall down.

I added one piece of drywall as a test. First time I have ever worked with drywall before. I cut the piece a bit to big as there is a small over hang once I made sure the soffit was plumb. I assume I can shave that off with a razor or keyhole saw.

I also laid out were the potential columns are going to go. I had to change slightly from the Erskine plan because of my riser. According to the plan the left column should be about 6" to the right and the left column should be about 6" to the left. Not sure if this matters that much or not, what are your thoughts? If I just hang the speakers on the wall it would not be a problem to hit them right on the nose.

View from the screen wall.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Spend the $7 and get yourself a drywall rasp like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_57622-51834-...ductId=4772251

Regarding the column placement - Dennis and company give you the ideal placements based on your exact speaker's polar response (radiating pattern). Any movement of the speaker placement will throw off the speaker position as referenced from the MLP, but sometimes you knowingly make compromises for certain aesthetics or construction considerations. It happens in every project and you do the best you can. I ended up moving my speakers out of the columns for this very reason.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! What does the rasp do? Does that allow me to shave the extra off?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input! What does the rasp do? Does that allow me to shave the extra off?
Yes, it allows you to smooth out the edges from the 'score and snap' drywall process or shave a little down to get a tight fit, just like using a hand plane on wood. Invaluable when you want a tight fit.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the great pics on the soffit. Love seeing the room come together since our space and plans are very similar (door and all).
a Gen contractor friend of mine recommends putting the soffits in BEFORE drywall- why is it that you and everyone else on the forum are doing it after??
thanks again
Old 11-26-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
a Gen contractor friend of mine recommends putting the soffits in BEFORE drywall- why is it that you and everyone else on the forum are doing it after??
Soundproofing. You build the soundproof shell first so you have 100% seal to the room. The soffit, finish carpentry and everything else goes in afterwards. The goal is to also limit the amount of penetrations through the soundproof shell so that's why you'll see electrical wiring run within the shell as well.
DrBabs and HT Geek like this.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Old 11-27-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Thanksgiving! My 16.5 month old daughter came down with the stomach flu last night. So the wife and I really did not celebrate Thanksgiving with family. My parents did drop of some lunch which was great! While the two of them were napping I was able to sneak down and work on the theater a bit.

I completed the 2x4 ladder so to speak. It was make to extend the screen wall ceiling down to meet the bottom of the soffit. I think it will work out really well.

I also made some return air boots for the two return air lines in the room. I plan on lining them with 2 layers of duct liner and maybe some 3 mil plastic in between. I thought I read this method somewhere that it would help try to contain certain frequencies, regardless it cannot hurt anything. I will add some 2x2's to the back that will allow me to attach them to the wall in the soffit. I will also probably attach them to the front of the faucet. The bottom will be resting on the drywall where the vent will go.

The return HVAC lines in the rear of the room.

That will probably be it until Sunday. Going to see if my brother, and brother in law can help hang the remainder of the bottom drywall panels around the room. At that point I will be running my speaker wires, and romex through the soffit.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving! My 16.5 month old daughter came down with the stomach flu last night. So the wife and I really did not celebrate Thanksgiving with family. My parents did drop of some lunch which was great! While the two of them were napping I was able to sneak down and work on the theater a bit.

I completed the 2x4 ladder so to speak. It was make to extend the screen wall ceiling down to meet the bottom of the soffit. I think it will work out really well.

I also made some return air boots for the two return air lines in the room. I plan on lining them with 2 layers of duct liner and maybe some 3 mil plastic in between. I thought I read this method somewhere that it would help try to contain certain frequencies, regardless it cannot hurt anything. I will add some 2x2's to the back that will allow me to attach them to the wall in the soffit. I will also probably attach them to the front of the faucet. The bottom will be resting on the drywall where the vent will go.

The return HVAC lines in the rear of the room.

That will probably be it until Sunday. Going to see if my brother, and brother in law can help hang the remainder of the bottom drywall panels around the room. At that point I will be running my speaker wires, and romex through the soffit.
Ok, stupid question, what are you screwing all that wood into ?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Subscribed!

Not sure how I missed this build thread before because it's almost spooky how similar our builds are. We're at roughly the same stage (you're maybe a couple weeks ahead of me), have very similar layout, and simultaneously came up with nearly identical stages
Old 11-30-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know what speakers you are going to go with yet?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
Ok, stupid question, what are you screwing all that wood into ?
Glue in screw in the back wall, not sure if there is another metal channel back there or not, but also screw into the wood 2x4's hanging in the soffit. Should be enough support.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you know what speakers you are going to go with yet?
I'm going DIY with the speakers and subs. Front LCR will be Fusion-15 while the surrounds will be Fusion-8. I haven't decided on the subs yet.

Those recommendations came from this thread: Recommendations for speakers and subs
Old 12-01-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

I did not accomplish a whole lot the rest of the weekend. I put two more pieces of dry wall up. Waiting on some more speaker cable and linacoustic. Once that comes in I can start up again. Continue to debate with myself on which speakers to get. I think I am going to go with JTR 212HT and s8's. Erskine is really pushing Procella's and triads why do decisions need to be so difficult? All I want is for it to sound great and not have upgradeitis
Old 12-02-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I connected the flex ducts to the HVAC returns coming out of the ceiling. I ordered 2 - 6x12 slimline grates from. It will be a bit before they are hear but that is fine, I can cut the holes. I did cut down my custom made register boxes, they are now 8.5"Tx15.25"Wx11.25"D.
I need to cut them down in order to place the one on the east wall. I still plan on lining them with one layer of duct liner. I will then mount them in the soffit and connect the lines.

http://www.hvacquick.com/products.ph...-Grilles#price

Does anyone have suggestions for filling in the area were the HVAC guy cut the holes for the HVAC returns? As you can see there are a few gaps. I know nothing will be as good as 2 layers of drywall again but I was thinking of spraying some expanding foam up there to at least seal it up. Thoughts?

I ordered some more speaker wire. I will be running 8 - 14/2 lines through the conduit I put it. It will be a bit tight but shouldn't be a problem. I plan on running 1 wire to each column and then putting a speaker connector in the light tray right above the rear columns. That way if ever needed I can add some on ceiling atmos speakers. Sure the speaker wire maybe run across the ceilings in some sort of black channel but the room will be dark while watching a movie anyways. Better to at least have the option than not at all.

Last edited by Diesel 48; 12-02-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
I'm going DIY with the speakers and subs. Front LCR will be Fusion-15 while the surrounds will be Fusion-8. I haven't decided on the subs yet.

Those recommendations came from this thread: Recommendations for speakers and subs

the room is looking great!!!

re the speakers..... so you are buying the drivers/ speakers and building enclosures - or building them into the columns and soffits?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
the room is looking great!!!

re the speakers..... so you are buying the drivers/ speakers and building enclosures - or building them into the columns and soffits?
Buying the drivers (and maybe crossovers -- not sure) and building the enclosures. I thought about putting the subs in the columns, but that proved to be infeasible when more of the variables became known.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Buying the drivers (and maybe crossovers -- not sure) and building the enclosures. I thought about putting the subs in the columns, but that proved to be infeasible when more of the variables became known.
I see. and may I ask, what is the metal channel for the soffits?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oops.. this isn't my build thread. That question is for Diesel 48. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got the metal channel from Menards. It was 1"5/8 drywall channel. It was in the lumber area. It definitely helped to pre-drill into the metal channel before screwing in to the 2x4's.

I made the HVAC return boots last night. I hope to run speaker wire through my conduit and install the boots tonight. I plan on calling a drywaller to schedule taping / mudding.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

I have been working a little bit every night on the theater this week. The big thing that I have been working on are created the HVAC return boxes and installing them. Using a few clamps and scrape wood I was able to install them in the soffit.

After they were installed I ran speaker wire through soffit to the correct locations. My wife can I ran 8 speaker wires through the piece of flexible conduit we ran when building the house. Each wire is 14/4 which will give us more options down the road. I am putting 4 extra connections at the back of the room in the light try for potential future atmos on ceiling speakers. Not sure if it will ever happen, but better to do it now! It took us 4 trys to get the wire ran. We snapped our pulling rope a few times, once I staggered the 8 wires a bit more we were able to finally get it.

I then put up the bottom piece of drywall and cut the vent holes. I have a dry wall finisher coming tomorrow to take a peak at everything to prep for next week.

View from the back of the room.

After the dry wall is finished I will start on the light tray. What substrate are people using for this? MDF or solid wood? I plan on painting it so it will need to take paint well. The only reason I am hesitant with MDF I have been hearing people having problems with joints cracking. I will have a few butt joints going around the room. Most of my house was finished with popular and then painted.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
After the dry wall is finished I will start on the light tray. What substrate are people using for this? MDF or solid wood? I plan on painting it so it will need to take paint well. The only reason I am hesitant with MDF I have been hearing people having problems with joints cracking. I will have a few butt joints going around the room. Most of my house was finished with popular and then painted.
I used crown molding for my light tray. I made sure that I nailed into a 2x4 on my soffit construction and laid the rope light into the V of the molding and soffit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1535.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	404098  

Creekside Stone Cinema
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I hung some dry wall this weekend. I also met with a dry wall finisher that will be doing the mudding for me. He will be starting next week. Should take him 3-4 days. Still debating on what to make my light tray that will be hung off the soffit to house my rope light and small can lights. I am thinking either MDF or Popular. Does anyone have suggestions? I hope to finish dry wall tonight so I can start building the columns and prepping for light trays. I will more than likely paint the ceiling and soffits before hanging the light tray as the tray will make it more difficult to get to. I feel like the room is starting to take shape and look like a home theater.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

With the help of my Dad I was able to finish the dry wall tonight. Feels good to get that done with. Time to clean up the room and get it ready for the dry wall finisher. He said he can start next week Monday. Going to call to see if he can squeeze some of it in this week. I will probably start the columns this week. Assemble, let the glue dry and maybe start priming.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
With the help of my Dad I was able to finish the dry wall tonight. Feels good to get that done with.
I know how that feels, congratulations!! On to the next big project on the list. I found that each task comes with its own "I can't wait till this done" moment. But it never really seems to end

Creekside Stone Cinema
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

It sure does feel like that, dry wall was fun for a bit but got old really fast. It is amazing how much better you get after a few pieces to. The finisher is going to have to use a bit of mud to fill my gaps .
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just showing some of our color / carpet decisions.

#1 This is is our number one pick.
Trim would be black, grey acoustic panels, wall color in between the grey panel color and black.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 64
here's my thought / question on some of those dark patterns - 90% of the time when you're in your theater isn't going to be very, very dark? So are you going to be able to tell the difference on color at all?