Do you guy's still go to the "movies"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried to do a search but since most of you have amazing home theaters, do you ever go to the movie theaters since you've built your "home" movie theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Rarely do we go out to the movies....just busy with life etc, having Netflix bluray come weekly is one of our Friday night things to look fwd too with the 4 kids.

Since we don't have 3D yet, we've seen a few of those at theaters.
Don't seem to miss 3D at the home theatre.

For the record, I'd classify my HT as visually humble, acoustically and visual watching pretty decent.

I've seen truly "amazing" HT's visually, kudos to those.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Once in the 4 years since I've had mine. I just like the convenience of being at home, using the pause button, and no travel. Since I don't have to see a movie right away and the turnaround time to DVD is relatively short, its great.
post #4 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
No.

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I'd say no. The last time I went to a theater was to see Avatar in 3D.

I love being able to start the movie on MY schedule. Now, if you could just skip though all the crap they put on BluRays, I'd be a REALLY happy camper. Be nice to at least be able to REALLY fast forward, not the slow FF they allow. It's jsut like going to the theter, I go down 10 minutes early and start the player. By the time everyone else gets settled the previews are almost over.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #6 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sometimes but it's more of a date thing. Go to dinner and a movie, of course my theater is out of commision so that is part of it. Personally I'd prefer to just stay home and watch movies. The picture and sound from my latest visits to the theater haven't really impressed me and the seats arn't all that comfortable.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #7 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Before our theater we went monthly to the local theater. Now once or twice a year for movies like the hobbit.

post #8 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

Before our theater we went monthly to the local theater. Now once or twice a year for movies like the hobbit.

+1

Builds: 
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
 x 5. 
post #9 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I only go if I am out of town on vacation and every time I go it make me appreciate my theater. The picture and sound is not as good as what i have. Now my kids go to the movies every now and then.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

...every time I go it make me appreciate my theater. The picture and sound is not as good as what i have.

So true. I have black listed the Alamo Draft house after seeing Sherlock Holms 2 because the dialog was weak and muddy. My Sub (DIY Lil Mikes F-20) makes our theater more of a tactile experience so I tend to be disappointed with Commercial theaters low end.

My wife said after seeing the Hobbit "I can’t wait to see this in our theater" That comment made me so proud. haha
carboranadum likes this.

post #11 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Man, it is my dream to have a setup as good as some of you guy's have it!
post #12 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You don't have to spend a lot to get a 'theater like' experience. For the same price as a 70" television you can be rock'n a decent 120" or bigger setup. yea I drool as well at some of these guys setups!
post #13 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

You don't have to spend a lot to get a 'theater like' experience. For the same price as a 70" television you can be rock'n a decent 120" or bigger setup. yea I drool as well at some of these guys setups!

While you can have a decent or at least functional space on a small budget things tend to add up quickly. The main benefit I see of a decent sized TV is that all you need is your cable or SAT box and a blu-ray and you can enjoy it.

Once you buy the PJ, AVR, surround sound, then you notice you have to paint your room dark, oh and it would be nice to have some acoustic panels, let me add those, then its man I really need a good sub so I can feel the LFE. As soon as you hang a PJ and shine it on the wall the addiction starts and your wallet begins to cry, but you don't care smile.gif

I had a really budget space and when I finally projected a movie on my DIY drywall screen i started to giggle, as in little girl giggle, there is nothing quite like it. Watching my TV now is like watching a postage stamp, I've watched two movies on my TV since my theater was torn apart in late October, I don't really intend to watch another until my space is done. It's like having a model for a wife but having to touch her with oven mitts...what's the point.

Sorry for the tangent there...

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #14 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I hear yea on the endless journey of home theater!

My initial setup was like this:

Epson 8500UB- $2800, PS3- $250, Polk RMK setup including sub and Yamaha 5.1- $1300, Cream & Sugar painted wall 133" diagonal-$50. Sitting in my room watching LOTR on a huge screen-Priceless!

So for $4400 I had a pretty awesome setup. My buddy just bought an 80" for the same price. (a projector setup would not work in his room)

Now my set up costs well over $15 000 and I'm no where near happy yet! I've got around another $10 grand plus to go. And to think I was soooo happy with my $4400 setup....D'OH! but I'll never go back to a regular TV for my main television ever again.
post #15 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The short answer is "no". My wife goes with her friends, my boys go with their buddies, but is is more of a social thing vs going to the movies. I can't remember the last time I was at the theater, it was last summer for something. Compared to my little humble setup I have a better picture and sound no contest. While that is discouraging enough it is truly the people who make the commercial theater a true "no go" for me. Talking, cell phones, and just a general lack of courtesy and respect. That is what actually makes the theater almost a painful experience.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #16 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Like others have posted, if I'm traveling on business and there is not a group gathering I sneak out to see the latest movie.
(Unless overseas travel, when I see 4-5 movies in the plane)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I'd say no. The last time I went to a theater was to see Avatar in 3D.

I love being able to start the movie on MY schedule. Now, if you could just skip though all the crap they put on BluRays, I'd be a REALLY happy camper. Be nice to at least be able to REALLY fast forward, not the slow FF they allow. It's jsut like going to the theter, I go down 10 minutes early and start the player. By the time everyone else gets settled the previews are almost over.

Hey Tom, for recent movies we do watch the previews, gets everyone settled into their seat and the talking done.
I get the popcorn going, then just when the movie starts the popcorn is done.

If an older movie, then we skip the previews as they are too dated.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #17 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
last movie I saw in a movie theater was 2005, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge Of The Sith eek.gif
post #18 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

No wonder you've never gone back! wink.gif
post #19 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
I wait for movies to come out on bluray. Last movie I went to see was LOTR Return of the king.
post #20 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 148
I only go for major movies like The Hobbit and such - and even then my wife and I find we prefer to watch the BluRay at home.
post #21 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guy's do for a living? you guy's are spending a **** ton of money on these setups!
post #22 of 44 Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A lot of guys like me don't spend much money. My projector, DIY screen and ceiling mount, receiver, speakers and sub cost me about $1,700.
post #23 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdavidx View Post

What do you guy's do for a living? you guy's are spending a **** ton of money on these setups!

You can aquire things over time to help spread out the costs. If you take an existing room, paint it a dark color and then you can just put all of your expenses into the components. You may be able to find a number of things used or via craigslist. I was originally going to go with a cheap $800 DLP projector but the lack of placement flexibility pushed me into getting a better LCD model and I'm very happy I did.

Almost everytime I have skimped on something in my life I've regretted it. I love a good deal as much as the next guy but I want the good deal on something quality or I have to know it's a stop gap until I can afford what I want.

There are trade-offs with everything. I have a giant soffit on the left of my theater that I hate but I wasn't going to spend the $2k-$3k needed to move all the duct work and rebuild it so I have to live with it.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #24 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

No wonder you've never gone back! wink.gif

LMAO, I was gonna say the same thing in my post but, I knew someone would say it for me. biggrin.gif
post #25 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

While that is discouraging enough it is truly the people who make the commercial theater a true "no go" for me. Talking, cell phones, and just a general lack of courtesy and respect. That is what actually makes the theater almost a painful experience.

Last time I was at the theater I had a lady sitting right next to me (full theater) texting through half of the movie. Cell phone screens create quite a distraction in a mostly dark room. Has to be IMAX or big budget movie for me to think about going. And as the prices continue to go up and up it makes it easier for us to say no thanks, I'll watch it at home.

post #26 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Last time I was at the theater I had a lady sitting right next to me (full theater) texting through half of the movie. Cell phone screens create quite a distraction in a mostly dark room. Has to be IMAX or big budget movie for me to think about going. And as the prices continue to go up and up it makes it easier for us to say no thanks, I'll watch it at home.

The theater texting has become so obnoxious I have to actively quell my desire to scream while at the movies. I go rarely. Maybe once or twice a year. But like most people here, the reason we create these amazing theater spaces in our homes is because we want to watch movies our way, by our rules.

post #27 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
The only time I go to the theater is for something really cool like "The Hobbit" in IMAX 3D.

Other than events like that, I'll only go if the power is out and I'm bored.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #28 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
We have had a home theater of sorts since 2001. Started with a Panasonic 8500 CRT projector and a modest Pioneer/JBL 5.1 system. My kids would joke as I upgraded projectors and would tell my wife "this is the last one". That was a standing joke for years. Even with that we always took the kids to new releases.

A dozen or so projectors later I have a JVC RS4810, Seymour Centerstage XD AT screen, Denon 4311ci 7.1 system with great speakers, nice subs etc. (no buttkickers yet though, that is next). My kids (now adult children) still want to go to new releases as an outing. For them it is about spending my money on ridiculously expensive buttered popcorn and other junk food; and, I think, the overall vibe of the movie going experience. They like it. Our local chain has new DLP gear and good audio so it is not a horrible experience, butthead people who text and don't have any concept of theater etiquette notwithstanding. Since I enjoy going with my family I tolerate the experience and ignore it shortcomings.

Willie
post #29 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Like many others here, I only go to IMAX now.

IMAX-sized screen is the only thing I can't compete with at home... (yet)

My last movies were TDKR IMAX and Skyfall IMAX. Before that, it had been years since I had been to the movies.

BTW, I can't friggin' wait for 2/12 for Skyfall BR release.

post #30 of 44 Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

The theater texting has become so obnoxious I have to actively quell my desire to scream while at the movies. I go rarely. Maybe once or twice a year. But like most people here, the reason we create these amazing theater spaces in our homes is because we want to watch movies our way, by our rules.
I do hate the texting in the theatre while the movie is playing.

The #1 thing that has kept me away from the movies is the price. To me it is literally not worth the expense any more. #2 is that there have been a lot of crappy movies in the past couple years.

I do enjoy HD television programming.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page