Options for covering the face of my riser??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just recently finished up my riser build for my theater renovation and have been contemplating options to cover the front face (in which I have drilled several holes).

The obvious choice would be speaker cabinet carpet but after doing some quick research, color options seem to be limited. I am under the impression that I need to consider a somewhat porous fabric. Does anyone have any good fabric ideas for this?
Oh, and the fabric or carpet material does not have to match the existing carpet as it will most likely be going bye bye!!!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
How about some speaker grill cloth? I believe Amazon sells different color options.

post #3 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I have thought about that but I have a few concerns.

1. Will the holes I drilled show through the fabric because of how thin the speaker cloth would be.
2. How will the adhesive hold up to long term use and possible foot traffic.

Maybe a thicker fabric (other then FR701) would work well for the job!!!

I have some samples at home from GOM I will give a try when I get home.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Maybe wrap the front with a metal screen material to support the fabric.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 574
The holes will show because of the geometry unless you do a really artful job of stapling the fabric. Tight vertically, loose horizontally. Screen is a good idea. Not sure how well the front of the stage which is not at the boundaries of the room will work as a bass trap and whether it is worth the effort.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If the holes are so your riser can act as a bass trap then you should be able to just carpet (no pad) the front of the riser. I have holes in the front of my riser for that very thing and I was told I could just carpet over them as the bass will pass right through.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Steel mesh is a great idea but I still cant help but think speaker fabric would be a PITA to work with and make look good.

Big,
I did all sorts of research on drilling these holes and was referenced to do this by several people. I think the main purpose of the holes is to deaden the riser and limit resonance within the chambers of the riser. I understand your reference though. I apologize if I used the wrong terminology in my earlier post. smile.gif

Carpet would be optimum if that works. Vanice, your build is sick biggrin.gif. I think I will go the carpet route. Sifting through your thread, did you create those cutouts (slits) on the top of your riser for bass trapping as well. I have heard of doing that as well but wasn't sure if it was worth it. What are you going to use to cover the slits?

Thanks guys
post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks orcarola. My riser is supposed to act as a bass trap. That is why I cut the various size holes in the front and the slits in the top near the back wall. I had an acoustical design done by BPape and the modifications to the riser were done per his instruction. The slits in the top will be covered with a typical floor register cover painted black.

One item to note, with holes that large, using carpet it may sink a little at each hole location. Mine does a little but I am not too concerned because the future furniture will cover it. I'm not sure how well a carpet guy can stretch the carpet on a vertical surface like that. If he can get it nice and tight then it will probably float over the holes better and not be as noticeable.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks orcarola. My riser is supposed to act as a bass trap. That is why I cut the various size holes in the front and the slits in the top near the back wall. I had an acoustical design done by BPape and the modifications to the riser were done per his instruction. The slits in the top will be covered with a typical floor register cover painted black.

One item to note, with holes that large, using carpet it may sink a little at each hole location. Mine does a little but I am not too concerned because the future furniture will cover it. I'm not sure how well a carpet guy can stretch the carpet on a vertical surface like that. If he can get it nice and tight then it will probably float over the holes better and not be as noticeable.

That's funny,
I attended an audio fest in Colorado last year and took some notes regarding some treatment information I was given. I actually sat down and chatted for a while with BPape. Really cool guy!!! He mentioned for me to do the same thing with my riser. I think you just motivated me to put slits in the top of my riser as well. It seams easy enough and in theory it makes sense to open up the riser closest to the wall boundaries.

Do you by any chance remember where you got the floor register covers?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up some basic white ones at my local home improvement store. They were really cheap, maybe $4 a piece. A couple quick coats of spray paint and they should be good to go.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Great!!! Thanks biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page