Powering two recessed lighting circuits - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm installing recessed lighting and want to have two circuits. One for general lighting of the theater with nine lights. The other is for two over the seating lights. I will have both dimmer switches in the same box, but it has a divider. How should I split the hot wire between the two dimmers? I can cut a short length to go out the backs of each side of the box, or would it be better to install a junction box above the dimmers, and spice it into two hots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'll start off with a disclaimer... I assume you have checked your dimmers to make sure that you are not putting too much load on them and that the 11 total lights is under about 80% capacity on the 14GA or 12GA circuit that you are using?

I had a similar situation in my theater where I wired a dimmer and a switch in a two gang box, although mine did not have a divider. I was using 12GA wire in this situation. I just used a jumper wire in the same box to jump between the dimmer and the switch. Had I planned things out a little better I probably would have run everything to a junction box (not hidden behind drywall of course) since I had four total switches on one circuit. In your case I guess it depends on where you could locate the junction box. If you have an equipment room or closet that you can put the junction then I would do that. It will make life easier when you go to wire the dimmers. If you don't have a good place for a junction box then just run a 12"-18" piece of wire out the back of one side of the gang box, staple it to the studs, and then bring it back in the other side. This creates a little more congestion in the box but you should be able to get it all stuffed in there.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by xm41907 View Post

I'm installing recessed lighting and want to have two circuits. One for general lighting of the theater with nine lights. The other is for two over the seating lights. I will have both dimmer switches in the same box, but it has a divider. How should I split the hot wire between the two dimmers? I can cut a short length to go out the backs of each side of the box, or would it be better to install a junction box above the dimmers, and spice it into two hots?

+1 on Vance's comments about load on the dimmers.

You should run a short piece of romex from one box to the other. You cannot bury a junction box in the wall by code (if that's what you were thinking). If it's accessible from behind in an attic space, though, that would be ok - but it's unnecessary.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 66
+1 on jauter's comment.

You say "both dimmer switches in the same box"--if it's actually a 2-gang box with a divider, the divider usually pulls out (it's not molded into the box).

If you have two single-gang boxes side-by-side you will not be able to use a 2-gang cover plate (or 2 single-gang cover plates.. without modification), so if you have single gang boxes you may want to make sure there is sufficient space between them.

No need for a j-box, unless there are other wires we don't know about.

Tim
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I have checked the total load and it's a little over 50% of the circuit, so I'm good to go there. I'll have to double check the box and see if the divider is removable. It's a 2-gang box. I was considering putting the junction box attached to the stud, but I wasn't aware that was against code. I'm hoping the divider is removable and I can just run a jumper. Otherwise, I'll do the out and back in route.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by xm41907 View Post

I'll have to double check the box and see if the divider is removable. It's a 2-gang box.

I'm not an electrician, but I've never seen a 2-gang divider box that wasn't removable.
Quote:
I was considering putting the junction box attached to the stud, but I wasn't aware that was against code.

The issue is the splice / connection. All splices have to be in a box, and all boxes have to be accessible. (the point being that if the box is hidden, whatever COULD be happening in there can't be inspected, so could present a hazard for future workers. Hence, not allowed.) As I learn more about the code / practices, I see that a lot of it is about preventing stupid behavior that can kill someone later. smile.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

After thinking about it, I realized it would be stupid to cover it up. That's why it's always a good idea to get something reviewed by others before diving headlong into it.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Did your load calculations include derating the dimmers for a multi-gang installation?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I derated them according to the guidelines, and they're within the limits. The full circuit had a very little load to begin with, so I'm safe.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page