FR701 Black - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, I have columns on my front wall which will contain my towers. So I'm paneling those columns with FR701 black as well as the rest of the front wall. Problem is when I hold up my sample I can see straight through the column to the OC703 on the wall pretty easily. Doesn't seem to be an issue when the fabric is directly on the 703 but when it's set back like in the columns, I'm a little worried. Should I order enough to put fabric directly on the 703 or just get some speaker cloth from joannes or something to lay over the insulation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Whenever I am working with fabric you need to test for the see through factor. What you don't want is to be able to make out particular structural elements behind the fabric like frames or a particular color insulation. Contrast is your greatest enemy, something black next to something light colored for example will really show up . The tools you have to deal with these situations are paint and fabric. Behind the 703 you can use any loose weave black fabric and paint the wood of the column black. Of course if you are covering a speaker it needs to be suitable for that purpose and it is best to try to avoid double layers over speakers if possible. I've found often the most revealing test is a flash photo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #3 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big! I'll shop some loose weave fabric to toss on top of the 703 that's behind it. I painted the wood black so good there. I put the anchorage onyx sample I have on top of to OC703 and noticed i can't see the yellow through the fr701 + anchorage. Actually, I couldn't see through the anchorage alone if I put it on the panel but think FR701 is a better choice in front of the speakers.

Thanks again,

Darren

post #4 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Big, have you ever mixed and matched the fabrics? If so, how did it look? Meaning I'm thinking of anchorage everywhere but front wall, doesn't look to bad with the samples. Actually, I'm even considering anchroage onyx everywhere on the front wall except the two panels in front of the speakers which could go 701. Overthinking the bajesus out of this thing, feel like I need my wife to come down here and make a decision on fabrics smile.gif

post #5 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Yes I've done side walls diff than front. But I haven't mixed on the front wall. I would think it would be distracting to have two different blacks on the front wall unless there were distinct architectural elements you were trying to distinguish.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, might have saved me from a mistake. Just ordered my 701 for the front and the Anchorage for the rest and feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. smile.gif

Now I can move on, now where did I put those 100+ strips of 1.5 inch ripped ply and mdf? Let them fester down there long enough, apparently they're not going to position themselves into panels on their own for me.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If the interior of your column is sealed up so that no light enters, I'd bet you won't be able to see through the fabric to the insulation. At least that was my experience, I used speaker cloth for my column faces, and was concerned that because the material was quite sheer, you'd be able to see inside - but it wasn't an issue at all, since there's little if any light inside once they're closed up.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #8 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

If the interior of your column is sealed up so that no light enters, I'd bet you won't be able to see through the fabric to the insulation. At least that was my experience, I used speaker cloth for my column faces, and was concerned that because the material was quite sheer, you'd be able to see inside - but it wasn't an issue at all, since there's little if any light inside once they're closed up.

I used the same fabric (I think rose-something speaker cloth), and no see through.  AND, before I put it up, it seemed very translucent and I was worried.  Brad's right about the light thing.

My home theater build thread

post #9 of 15 Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurVandelay View Post

Thanks again, might have saved me from a mistake. Just ordered my 701 for the front and the Anchorage for the rest and feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. smile.gif

Now I can move on, now where did I put those 100+ strips of 1.5 inch ripped ply and mdf? Let them fester down there long enough, apparently they're not going to position themselves into panels on their own for me.

out of curiousity, did you notice anything sounding different with the anchorage?

I prefer the look of anchorage imensely, but was told by Bryan at GIK that it will reduce the higher frequencies by ~3 decibels. I wanted to know if thats something people notice or not. Ive gone through a lot of trouble with makgin sure ill have good sound in my room but at the same time, I find the 701 looks like a combination of a burlap sack, and a cubical wall from the 80s...

post #10 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

out of curiousity, did you notice anything sounding different with the anchorage?

I prefer the look of anchorage imensely, but was told by Bryan at GIK that it will reduce the higher frequencies by ~3 decibels. I wanted to know if thats something people notice or not. Ive gone through a lot of trouble with makgin sure ill have good sound in my room but at the same time, I find the 701 looks like a combination of a burlap sack, and a cubical wall from the 80s...

I had a bunch of samples so I just kind of laid them over the center channel and could tell. Not sure if it makes a big diff in the grand scheme of things but since I noticed a difference I talked myself out of anchorage on the front. Very happy with how the fr701 turned out, not 80s looking at all. Although I have some kiss posters that can change that!

I also liked the look of anchorage better though which is why I went with that over the rest of the walls.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
So what about putting the anchorage in front of the surround speakers? Would this be audibly noticeable?

If one observed the 3 dB difference like Bryan stated then would it be correctable through EQ?

Most surrounds are not nearly as powerful as mains and I would be worried about blowing the tweeter if I had to correct too much. I am planning on Triad in wall Bronze.

post #12 of 15 Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My new favorite material for screen walls and black stretch fabric walls: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-332

Thick, very black, very good acoustical performance, looks nicer than FR701, blacker than Anchorage Onyx which I've never really thought was properly black anyway...

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The mellotone looks very black and much thicker than traditional speaker grill fabric. I will have to get a sample and compare it with the GOM anchorage, sensa, and fr701 I have in the mail.

It is not cheap but it might be worth it.

Any thoughts on the ability to correct the upper frequency loss that could result in using anchorage or another fabric with AT properties that are less than speaker grill fabric? I am trying to not have columns in my room but would still like to hide the surrounds and I don't want to have to use different fabric over the surrounds.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 12

This is exactly my predicament as well.  A primary design goal was to have a room where you couldn't see any of the speakers.  And another design ethos is no columns.  So I'm left with some in-wall surround speakers that will be playing through a fabric covered wall.  

I, too, have been a little concerned about that "burlap" texture of the FR701.  I'm gratified to hear that once applied it doesn't have the burlap look, but I'd like to be able to see an installation of FR701 before I commit.

- Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #15 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone used or tested the Metallation Fabric in front of speakers? It seems to have the holes like FR701 but looks really nice, and not as cheap as the FR701 looks.

Thoughts?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page