Texas DIY Theater Room HELP!!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Forum Members.

I must first start off by saying that I am new to the world of forums and theater rooms. With that said any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

So I have recently built a new home that has a dedicated theater room (12'X17') which is upstairs and above the master bathroom.Nothing special was done to the room for sound proofing but insulation is in the walls. I've painting the walls a dark burgundy, built a riser (6'x9x6") for the second row seating, added a door and purchased seating. Now as far as a projector I am thinking about going with the Epson 3020 due to my budget and I am not sure on a decent Surround System (Speakers, AV Receiver).

I have been looking at floor standing/in-wall systems and I need some type of help on what would be best for the room. Ive heard that in-wall speakers causes sound to travel throughout the walls into other rooms and that is not cool.

Also I am thinking about building my own screen 120" with blackout fabric instead of buying the elite screen. Would the DIY Screen be a good choice and would it provide me with the same quality movies as the Elite Screen. Someone suggested buying a Jamestown screen and im curious if anyone else have experience with this screen.

My remaining budget
Projector & Screen $1500
Audio and Wires $1000

Once again this is all new to me and the researching is getting overwhelming.

Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Without taking any soundproofing precautions you're going to end up with sound traveling through the house regardless of whether you choose in-walls of floorstanding/bookshelves. I would also go look at the DIY screen section on this forum as you'll see plenty of options there.

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #3 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
(Reposting this from your other thread)

The insulation will help a little, but expect to be able to hear the audio in adjoining rooms (side, above, below) at moderate levels.

I might suggest a HTIB solution to keep you in your budget for speakers & AVR. There are some decent options from Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon that fall in your price range, and would leave you a bit extra that you might put toward your projector and screen. Amazon is a good place for those.

Looks to me like the Epson 3020 would bump you right up against your screen and pj budget (unless you are getting used or B-stock). That's why I suggest a HTIB that could allow you to move some $ to the pj/screen budget.

The good news is you can always upgrade equipment down the road as budget allows.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply guys.

Ive seen a lot of people talking about Jamo HCS426/506 and how they put out impressive sound for the value.

Also are the Klipsch HDT systems pretty good.?

As far as my screen goes, with the Epson 3020 projector should get a white or grey screen? The room is completely dark with no light entering at all.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 576
post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 73
DIY speakers are great. You can save hundreds of dollars on speakers by spending thousands of dollars on tools. tongue.gif Seriously though, listen to anything this guy says.

A DIY screen would go a long way. You can even paint a screen on your finished drywall so long as your not going with inwalls.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Those kits require you to basically build a square MDF box and attach the front baffle which already has the cutouts. Soon you will be able to buy flat packs for the entire project, just add glue and some solder.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Those kits require you to basically build a square MDF box and attach the front baffle which already has the cutouts. Soon you will be able to buy flat packs for the entire project, just add glue and some solder.

Not to get to far off topic here, but Big how good are these DIY Speakers?

post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

A DIY screen would go a long way. You can even paint a screen on your finished drywall so long as your not going with inwalls.[/quote]

Only problem i have is that my walls are textured and I read that at times you can see it in the image.

DIY Speakers.
What about it i purchase the rectangular in-wall speakers and put them in a MDF box. (just trying to come up with some ideas)

Can someone tell me about the Jamo Speakers or the Klipsch HDT System
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Not to get to far off topic here, but Big how good are these DIY Speakers?

I haven't bought a commercial speaker since 1969 (Warfdale's with sand-filled cabinet walls) , I've been rolling my own since then. If you read some of the threads up in the DIY section pay attention to the development and deployment of the SEOS waveguide. Generally there is a lot of attention on building two way systems with a waveguide driven by a compression driver coupled with a woofer. A lot of this work started back with Econowave speakers (audiokarma.com) and it's derivatives. The SEOS initiative was to build the perfect wave guide.

Compression drivers coupled with waveguides are what you hear when you are at a commercial theater not little silk/titanium dome tweeters common in a lot of home speaker systems. They are able to handle higher volume without distortion

My current front set up involves three 4Pi speakers (google it) . a 15 inch JBL woofer and a waveguide with a compression driver. All dressed in basic black for behind screen duty.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page