Room Lighting...Spacer System? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of installing the Lutron Spacer System lighting system in my basement theater. It is all new construction so wiring wont be a problem. I was thinking of installing LED can lighting until my electrician told me it would be $80 a light. Now I am thinking of installing a regular incandescent can light box with the option of using a LED trim insert in the future. Do I need a special switch to run the LED trim inserts? Here is a list of the Lutron Spacer switches . I dont really understand what I need for LED compatibility. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Here is another link of the SPACER SYSTEM SWITCHES. It gives a little more detail. Also I want to set this system up so there are 4 dimmers in one box, 3 IR dimmers and 1 Master Control. I want to run an Accessory Dimmer off of 2 of the switches in the 4 group to other locations for more access to lights. From what I am reading this is possible. Im hoping somebody can confirm this though. Thank you for your help and time.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefrude1 View Post

I am thinking of installing the Lutron Spacer System lighting system in my basement theater. It is all new construction so wiring wont be a problem. I was thinking of installing LED can lighting until my electrician told me it would be $80 a light. Now I am thinking of installing a regular incandescent can light box with the option of using a LED trim insert in the future. Do I need a special switch to run the LED trim inserts?

The issue with switching to LEDs (doesn't matter if it's an LED can light or a replacement insert - same thing) is that the basic Spacer dimmers have a minimum 60W load. Which will be a lot of LED fixtures per circuit - I doubt you'd have that many...

I don't know if one of the other Space dimmers would work (they seem to all be for fluorescent dimming).

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Liked: 16
That I have found, Lutron doesn't have much in the way of LED dimmers with available control. They just released the Maestro CL Dimmers a few months back, so I imagine soon they will be expanding upon that. I put the Maestro CLs and LEFs in my theater down lights and will do without remote control of lighting until a time when more options are available. Given there is an established cutoff date for incandescents and halogens (some of them), I can only imagine we'll see greater compatibility for LED and CFL products.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. My electrician said to think about LED's or CFL for that reason (elimination of incandescent & halogen). I dont know what to do now. I need to figure out something quick though as framing starts Tuesday. I have been reading posts on the grafik eye 3000 and am thinking that may be better for me considering I am looking around $600 in switches already. The wiring is confusing me though. Are there any Grafik Eye pros out there that could help explain the wiring to me? Thanks for your help and time.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefrude1 View Post

Thanks for the replies. My electrician said to think about LED's or CFL for that reason (elimination of incandescent & halogen). I dont know what to do now. I need to figure out something quick though as framing starts Tuesday. I have been reading posts on the grafik eye 3000 and am thinking that may be better for me considering I am looking around $600 in switches already. The wiring is confusing me though. Are there any Grafik Eye pros out there that could help explain the wiring to me? Thanks for your help and time.

There's an enormous Grafik Eye master thread in this forum. The GE's wiring isn't too confusing - just think of it as 4-8 dimmers in one box. One power input, 4-8 dimmer outputs (depending on the model). The complexity comes in as you add different load types.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/557480/the-definitive-grafik-eye-master-thread#post_5858991

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page