Question over 2nd story media room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are moving into our first house in about 3 weeks and somehow I was able to find a house with a 'spare' room. I was basically given complete control of this room. The only problem is it's on the 2nd story of the house!

I have been reading this site for almost 2 years and have plenty of basement build threads bookmarked/saved for doing things the right way. However, I don't recall (drinking to many beers I guess) ever seeing a thread where a room on the 2nd story was converted into a media room, so do you guys know of any?

Is it generally a bad idea to do this? Or what is everyone's thoughts on 2nd story media rooms?

Once I get into the house I plan on starting a thread with my plans and getting you guys to review them before starting, but I wanted to ask first so I could do more research about 2nd story media room's.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Lots of us in the South have no basements, so the media room is quite often on the 2nd floor.

What's your concern? Soundproofing?

If you want a great example of a media room converted into an awesome dedicated theater, check out Spaceman's thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1202525/spaceman-theater-build

That will give you an idea of what CAN be done. Now, how much you want to do, that's another question...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 3 Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine is on our first floor, adjacent to our living room. The only limitation is i could think of was using sand in the stage. I used minimal sound proofing, just double drywall with green glue only becuase i found this site too late.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page