Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

Longtime Lurker and first time poster-

I have been on and off this site for many years. Love to surf through the different HT builds on this forum.
I am in the planning stage of my house and future Dedicated HT layout. The house plans are done and I am currently interviewing builders.

We are looking to start building in about 6-8 months. Meeting with one of the builders, he suggested to have a room under the 3 car garage.
I figured that this would make one heck of a room for a HT. the room would not have any windows and almost completely encased in concrete.

the room would measure roughly 35' 8" length by 24' width

I have 3 girls under the age of 5 so I envision a HT with a stage for them to act out their favorite princess.

As for seating, I love the look of multiple rows with risers (not sure how many seats) we have 5 in our family with
lots of friends smile.gif

Leaning towards scope screen

My question is this if this was your HT.....

Would you use the 24" length wall for screen or use the 35' wall for screen wall
how many seat would you have and rows......
I would be able to enter from the back of the theater and have poured risers

Here is the Layout -

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've seen this done several times here in the mid-west. A few notes...

It look's like the layout picture posted is for the garage above and it is currently spec'ed for "slab on grade".

So this will be an alteration of the existing plan???

Usually there will be several post's supporting metal ibeams throughout the space. When this is submitted to the architect/engineer for alteration make sure they understands what you are trying to accomplish and they can work with you to at least keep a central area clear of support beams OR You could go with an option like spancrete that requires fewer structural supports. It'll cost you though.

As an FYI the acoustic gurus on the boards like Dennis will recommend against poured risers.

I was considering this same option in a home we are designing but we ended up having the space I needed in the basement.

I think it will be a great space for a home theater if you can pull it off... but then again if you can handle 3 girls under 5 this should be cake... I can barely keep up with 2 @ 8 & 4.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 365
As jroyv said, make sure the architect knows what you're trying to accomplish, otherwise you'll end up with poles right where you don't want them. And yes, will cost you, but it looks like an excellent space. The 24' width would be a very large theater - you might think about using the 35' wall for the screen, make the theater ~18' x 24', and using the other half for a gameroom / bar area. 24' depth would give you enough for 2 rows easily with 4 or 5 across, or 2 rows with a bar behind.

And +1 on not pouring risers. Lots of advantages to making the risers out of wood later - including the ability to easily change your mind as to the size! Also, running power to the seats and so forth is much easier. Really no advantage to making the risers part of the pour. If you're going to lower the area for additional ceiling height, lower the entire theater space.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page