Mini Cine HT Design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I bought some land in the Philippines and want to build a mini cine HT to charge local patrons for watching HT movies. First off the room dimensions are: 10'H x 20'W x 40'L.

I intend to make a control room in the back for all electronics including items such as amps, Digital Surround Processor Preamplifier, equalization, projector, etc. Thus my dimensions will now be 10'H x 20' x 35'L. Is this a good room layout that will have few modal issues?

Of course a foot will be taken up along the sides and front for speaker placement. I plan on using a heavy curtain material from ceiling to a foot above the speakers and then have a lighter weight of the same color down to the ground. Then you have the walkways to deal with say each side is 2'. So that actually leaves a seating area of about 14'W. I will be using stepped seating probably using bench seats with back and padding on them for sitting. I figure that will be the cheapest way to go for seating and damping.

My dilemma is whether to go 5.1 or 7.1 If I go 7.1 that means speaker's in the rear that will be blasting the people sitting in the back rows and lower volumes near the front. I'm thinking of just going 5.1 and just have multiple surrounds as one pair will not be enough for an area this long.

I'm not sure what the codes are over there. How many exits, do they have to be labeled, LED floor lighting to exits, etc. So I still have a lot of homework to do. So, what do you pros think about the room setup, drapes, and seating (kind of like church bench seating with padding put in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you want people to actually pay, you're going to want commercial grade components that work in a room of that size. Further, you may want something nicer than church benches. You will want at least traditional fold down theater seating. Remember, you want them to come back! Lastly, you will want 7.1 AND you will need multiple side surround for multiple rows and a room of this size. Think of it as a luxury commercial theater shrunk down. You may also want someone to design it for you.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Shawn, I imagine the target market for this theater is the segment that doesn't even own a TV. Padded benches will be fine. For that matter they may actually be more comfortable on the floor. At 40 ft in length you are going to want multiple side speakers and you could probably skip the rears and target a quality 5.1.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

If you want people to actually pay, you're going to want commercial grade components that work in a room of that size. Further, you may want something nicer than church benches. You will want at least traditional fold down theater seating. Remember, you want them to come back! Lastly, you will want 7.1 AND you will need multiple side surround for multiple rows and a room of this size. Think of it as a luxury commercial theater shrunk down. You may also want someone to design it for you.

Actually it depends on what part of the Philippines he is putting this theater into. Most rural areas would happy with padded benches where as in Manila there are plenty of commercial theaters to complete with.

post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

Actually it depends on what part of the Philippines he is putting this theater into. Most rural areas would happy with padded benches where as in Manila there are plenty of commercial theaters to complete with.

Ture indeed. I was at first going to build these in a town that had no Theaters. But then we decided to try and buy this foreclosure in Butuan, the capitol of Agusan del Norte. I'm sure they have plenty of Theaters. Hadn't thought about that. It may still be Ok though as the neighborhood would surely come by every once in awhile. Once the quality of the HT experience got out more would come. Yes the philippine people are used to sitting on wooden benches so a soft one would be an upgrade to them. They are family oriented so sitting close to one another should pose no problem.

Then again, it may just end up being a very large and expensive HT for the family. Well, anyways, I'll have fun building it! Thanks for all the responses guys/gals.

Paul
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page