Projector Booth - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone built a projector booth inside their theater? Not just using an additional adjacent room but built a "box" for projector & equipment. I'm looking at this - adding maybe a 4x8' "box" inside the room (inside soundproofed shell) to house projector, equipment rack, and some storage. Anyone has experience with or thoughts about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 531
there is one in the Ohio Build project in my signature. In this case it was a bump out and it was included in the soundproofed shell. Also the Bacon Race project had an adjacent equipment room that was included in the soundproofed shell. If you search this forum for "hush box" you will get other ideas. A critical element is pulling out the hot air.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks BIG! I tried searching the forums but couldn't find much. I will check it out. (After I get back from doing dump runs to get rid of drywall and carpeting - and this was just the small part of the room!)

post #4 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
As the projectionist yourself, you may want a better seat. I think that's the main reason for a dedicated projector booth. Can you house the rack and projector in the same equipment room? Sure, but a giant 'hush box' for the projector, to include the rack, seems like overkill.

Adding a 4 x 8 room into the HT design would be challenging. Moving the back wall 5 feet to accommodate a closet might look nicer.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I should mention in the picture I posted the lower portion of the "booth" had a sand filled riser and a rear sub. The lower part of the door was a fabric frame. The projector was attached with a ceiling mount in the closet but depending on the projector, a shelf mount would have worked.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Just went thru the Ohio build - very nice! But, where is the equipment? To the side of the projector booth, outside the room?

Do you think building a 4x8' room is silly/too much wasted space?

Sure wish I could hire you BIG but don't think a 3,000 mile drive would be great for you!
post #7 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Not exactly a booth but I did build a dedicated equipment room. The nice thing is fan noise. I simply don't worry about it at all.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that's a freaking equipment room alright! I would think the neighbors think you work for NASA not the CIA! smile.gif
post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr View Post

Just went thru the Ohio build - very nice! But, where is the equipment? To the side of the projector booth, outside the room?

Do you think building a 4x8' room is silly/too much wasted space?

Sure wish I could hire you BIG but don't think a 3,000 mile drive would be great for you!

The equipment is parked in a rack in the utility room which runs parallel to the theater on the right side,
Yes, unless you have space to burn
post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr View Post

Has anyone built a projector booth inside their theater? Not just using an additional adjacent room but built a "box" for projector & equipment. I'm looking at this - adding maybe a 4x8' "box" inside the room (inside soundproofed shell) to house projector, equipment rack, and some storage. Anyone has experience with or thoughts about this?

I think most people build the box / booth in the adjacent room. The theater is basically as big as practically possible, and then the adjacent room is used to "tack on" a booth. What would the reason be for putting it inside the shell? It would cut into your space and part of the purpose is to keep the equipment noise out of the theater. I don't think there is too much concern for fan noise leaking out of the booth and into the rest of the house. Not saying it's wrong, just wondering why you feel putting a booth in the room would be better than building one behind the room?

post #11 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Not exactly a booth but I did build a dedicated equipment room. The nice thing is fan noise. I simply don't worry about it at all.

You have the gold standard of AVS equipment rooms. I wanted something like Art's theater with your equipment room in back, but I didn't have the space.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

You have the gold standard of AVS equipment rooms. I wanted something like Art's theater with your equipment room in back, but I didn't have the space.

Thanks. BTW, those are old pictures from 2003. I need to post some updates. The DVHS is gone and now all movies are on a server.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #13 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I think most people build the box / booth in the adjacent room. The theater is basically as big as practically possible, and then the adjacent room is used to "tack on" a booth. What would the reason be for putting it inside the shell? It would cut into your space and part of the purpose is to keep the equipment noise out of the theater. I don't think there is too much concern for fan noise leaking out of the booth and into the rest of the house. Not saying it's wrong, just wondering why you feel putting a booth in the room would be better than building one behind the room?

Behind the back wall is my office/library and the other sides are either outer walls or rooms already in use - I basically have no where to put the equipment without building a "booth" or similar structure
post #14 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I would hang the projector from the ceiling, and build a closet for the rack, in the back or along a sidewall near the back.

Access to the rear of fixed rack is ideal, side access is a 2nd choice. Slide-out racks look nice but add to cost and can be challenging. Racks on casters behind a closet door are cheapest and fairly functional, but lack glamour.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #15 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Neurorad, that's what I was thinking but I guess it doesn't really need to be 4x8' - just a size I was messing around with. If I just add a little cabinet/closet for just the rack what do people think for size? (2x3'?)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page