/** * vBulletin 3.8.7 CSS * Style: 'AVSForum-new'; Style ID: 113 */ @import url("http://www.avsforum.com/forum/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-0f45e37a-00113.css"); Carpet costing more than hardwood? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is everyone paying thousands for one room of carpet? I got a number of quotes on a carpet I wanted, Its Hickory made by Stanton and they are quoting $1,600-$2,500 for under 200 sq feet of carpet. I could have exotic hardwood installed for less!

I really don’t want to settle for plain carpet but that just seems like a lot to me; a 13’x15’ section of carpet and pad just doesn't seem like it should cost so much (that is the full size that would need to be bout to cover my 12x15 space).

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I looked at that one from Stanton too and from what I remember, it's a wool carpet. They will be much more expensive than what you see wandering around HD or Lowes. I quickly ruled out wool, but seem to remember seeing it in the carpet stores starting around $10/sf, which puts it in the neighborhood of your quotes. Also remember you are going to get hit with extra labor charges for dealing with the riser and stage.

Your $1600 quote seems like a pretty good deal if you are able to get the whole room done in a nice wool carpet. For comparison, my main floor and riser cost $5.15/sf plus $150 in extra labor for the riser/steps and the stage cost $5.75/sf with $95 in extra labor for the steps and curve. This was for Masland carpet (not wool). My whole room (12.5'x18') came to $2,400.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's 100% polypropylene and for my space it's just two sections of rectangular carpet with a cut around 1step and the rack area. No stair or riser edge. I could understand, if like you said it was wool or an involved install but mine is pretty simple.

I have labor on one of the quotes as only $200. I'm sure some of it is the pad as its a synthetic hair and jute pad which will be more expensive than foam. I'll just have to keep shopping. I'm not paying more that $50/sq. yd.

Play like a Raven

post #4 of 19 Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

It's 100% polypropylene and for my space it's just two sections of rectangular carpet with a cut around 1step and the rack area. No stair or riser edge. I could understand, if like you said it was wool or an involved install but mine is pretty simple.

I have labor on one of the quotes as only $200. I'm sure some of it is the pad as its a synthetic hair and jute pad which will be more expensive than foam. I'll just have to keep shopping. I'm not paying more that $50/sq. yd.

you live in Maryland? if so i can i give you number of place in springfield VA that can save you tons ..... the catch is you have to pic the carpet bring it home and hire someone to install.... which i am sure you can on graigslist.... anyway if you want his number just pm me.... i can you more details in a pm.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a great carpet guy in Baltimore and his installers are really top notch. Let me know if you want his info for a quote. Also, most carpets are 12' wide so that extra foot in width is adding a lot of cost.

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #6 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
most carpets are 12' wide so that extra foot in width is adding a lot of cost.

I've mentioned that before in a few other threads. IF you can find a carpet/pattern you like in what is known as "4 meter" carpet, it's just over 13' wide and can end up saving you a LOT of money. I used a patterned carpet from Ken at Stargate and it came out great. It may appear to cost more if you are only comparing the sf price against standard 12' carpet, but you end up needing a lot less.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #7 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Have you tried going to HD or Lowes?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #8 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN View Post

I have a great carpet guy in Baltimore and his installers are really top notch. Let me know if you want his info for a quote. Also, most carpets are 12' wide so that extra foot in width is adding a lot of cost.
I'll take any help I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I've mentioned that before in a few other threads. IF you can find a carpet/pattern you like in what is known as "4 meter" carpet, it's just over 13' wide and can end up saving you a LOT of money. I used a patterned carpet from Ken at Stargate and it came out great. It may appear to cost more if you are only comparing the sf price against standard 12' carpet, but you end up needing a lot less.
This carpet is 13' 2" so plenty wide enough, little waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Yes and they have no patterned carpet that I saw. Textured but not patterns.

Play like a Raven

post #9 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
So it sounds like it IS 4 meter. Also sounds like it's just plain expensive carpet, then. Guess there's not much you can do about that excpet to change your taste in carpet!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #10 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

So it sounds like it IS 4 meter. Also sounds like it's just plain expensive carpet, then. Guess there's not much you can do about that excpet to change your taste in carpet!

Probably so, my brother is asking a guy he knows that owns a carpet store. He's a contractor and has a few connections; I'll see what they come back with. I'm open to different carpets but I want a pattern and I want it to be a dark red so that cuts down on the options. Hopefully I'll have this resolved in the next week or two.

Play like a Raven

post #11 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If you're considering Stanton carpet, it is very important to shop around a bit. I found that Stanton prices varied wildly at several different local stores. I had quotes that ranged from $5.60/sq ft to $14.00/sq ft! eek.gif (These numbers are including pad and installed.)

The carpet was of course a significant expense, but I think it is one of the very best points about my theater and I would absolutely do it the same way again. Guests invariably comment on the softness/plushness of the carpet when they enter the theater. (Sorry, you're not wearing your shoes in my HT. smile.gif)

You can check out this post in my thread if you're interested in more Stanton info/pricing:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1289590/the-esquire-theater-construction-begins/1410#post_21897679

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #12 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've contacted 4 places and I'm getting $8-$12/ft. I need to be under $6/ft and really wanted under $5/ft. Going to try a few other stores and try some other brands with hopefully similar styles to see if I can get the price down.

Play like a Raven

post #13 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM

I searched for carpet for over a year. Particulatly a Stanton one- lake boden.

I called even out of state to get pricing. I ended up at 5.93q/ft installed. I found a place in GA for $3.30 sq/ft for brokering only the carpet+ then you have to add padd and labor.I'm in FL

These carpets are not cheap, and I would avise not to cheap out on the pad either. I had similar thoughts as you - wanted to mix some hardwood in towards the back, but I bit the bullet and spent the $.
Time will tell - but right now it was worth every penny and I had to do 550 sq ft....
wraunch likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

I searched for carpet for over a year. Particulatly a Stanton one- lake boden.

I called even out of state to get pricing. I ended up at 5.93q/ft installed. I found a place in GA for $3.30 sq/ft for brokering only the carpet+ then you have to add padd and labor.I'm in FL

These carpets are not cheap, and I would avise not to cheap out on the pad either. I had similar thoughts as you - wanted to mix some hardwood in towards the back, but I bit the bullet and spent the $.
Time will tell - but right now it was worth every penny and I had to do 550 sq ft....

Interesting: Lake Boden is the same carpet I purchased. And almost the same amount (600 sq ft if I remember correctly).

And I absolutely agree to upgrade to an Ozite Pad. It only cost me about $0.60/sq ft extra and the installer said it is worth much more than what it costs.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #15 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Interesting: Lake Boden is the same carpet I purchased. And almost the same amount (600 sq ft if I remember correctly).

And I absolutely agree to upgrade to an Ozite Pad. It only cost me about $0.60/sq ft extra and the installer said it is worth much more than what it costs.

It is and eye catcher for sure! All of the lake series are eye catchers. The offered me a 10lb Shaw pad at .90c extra. Down here 6lb (normal cheapo), 8( has some stain gaurd) and 10lbs( staingaurd and plastic like top) are the usual offerings, outside of the fel

For stage area, I used berber, and plain pad.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Monday will probably be my big carpet day. Going to try a few places. These are the ones I'm looking at, all from Stanton

GILMORE
COLLECTION: EDINBURGH
COLOR: 61801 STEEPLECHASE RED
FIBER: 100% ROYALTRON TM
POLYPROPYLENE
WIDTH: 13 FT 2 IN
PATTERN REPEAT: 9 3/4"WX 9 3/4"L ST
BRAND: STANTON CARPET

ROYAL CROWNE
COLLECTION: EARNEST
COLOR: 981 CRIMSON
FIBER: 100% ROYALTRON
POLYPROPYLENE
PATTERN REPEAT: 2.3" X 1.7"
BRAND: ROYAL DUTCH CARPETS

LAKE POINT
COLLECTION:  LAKE
COLOR: CHERRY
POLYPROPYLENE
PATTERN REPEAT: 4" X 4"

HICKORY
COLLECTION: KINGSTON
COLOR: 1851 BERRY WINE
POLYPROPYLENE
PATTERN REPEAT: 4"W X 3 3/4"L SET

Play like a Raven

post #17 of 19 Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are the patterns so if anyone knows of similar patterns and colors from cheaper carpet companies please chime in.

c296b2170a90137510facacd12990b9d_zps45198298.jpg
cf31da65f6d8ad12ec49d9718e28f503_zps987caf8c.jpg
8560bd28a4485ab2e54db3d6ef60dd8e_zps0707a77a.jpg
35062a3411ae2dcec606cca2ba01be85_zpsd2f183df.jpg

Play like a Raven

post #18 of 19 Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

Yes and they have no patterned carpet that I saw. Textured but not patterns.

Alright, I just dug deep through my files to find this, so I hope it's of some help.

When I was looking for red patterned carpet in 2009, I went to some specialty carpet stores and they had a couple of options that were red with fancy gold squares and such, costing $44 and $48 per yard. I think that worked out to about $5 per square foot, not sure if that included installation. I'm guessing not.

Then I went to Lowe's and they had 1 red patterned choice. The price was waaay better than the specialty stores and this is what I ended up using. Looks similar to the first 3 pictures in your post above. The pattern shapes are fleur-de-lis. I just pulled out the invoice and I can't find a picture online anywhere, but it's made by Milliken, called SOS Payton 8091-10800, cranberry color. Total installed price was $1,800 for a 14x21 ft room, including the extra work of going up a seating riser and screen stage, both curved and bullnosed. They did a great job. The price worked out to about $3 per sq ft with the nice thick underlayment, plus installation. Maybe check another Lowe's location or ask if they could order it? Worth a shot.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That is much more reasonable I'll check with Lowes, thanks.

Play like a Raven

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page