Requesting hints for a 11.2 Dedicated Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are on the final stage in our new house and I'd ask for some advise from the pros here. Very quick, it will be initially a weekly rental property in the Outer Banks/NC. I intend to move there in a few years. As everybody else, I'm on a budget. Here's a layout of the ground level.

Room dimensions: 12 x 21'.
Room layout: 2 rows with 5 commercial theater seats each and a bar on the back with 3 stools (not 5 like on the drawing).
Rack location: it's that square on the drawing, right beside the Mech room, on the left.

Projector: Mitsubishi HC4000.

Speakers: Episode In-walls/in-ceiling. Episode subs.

Requirement: Pre-wire the room for a 11.3 system. Front Wides, Highs, Surrounds, Surround Backs. 2 subs in the front, 1 in the back. Earthquake system on the two rows of seats.

Now the questions

1) I have two screens available. A Black Diamond Zero Edge 115" and a Dragonfly Acoustically Transparent 120". I believe the BD will give a better picture, but how to have Fronts AND Front Wides with it?

2) I have two receivers available. An Onkyo TX-NR1009 and a Yamaha RX-A3020. One thing I don't like on the Yamaha is that they came with a crazy 6-surround speaker layout that no other manufacturer uses. So, which one would you recommend? I'd also have access to one or two amplifiers to power the extra speakers.

3) Sound proofing. House has just finished framing and plumbing. Electrician comes this week, house should be finished in 4-6 weeks. I have probably 8 "Episode® PRO Series Sound Dampening Barrier 4 ft. x 8 ft. Sheet". I was considering using it on the front wall behind the screen and on the back wall. What else can I do to minimize the sound getting out of the room? Not looking for a completely sound proof house. Complex or expensive solutions are not possible.

Link for the Barrier: http://snapav.com/p-504-es-dm-48x96.aspx

4) Surround/Surround Back Speakers location. What would sound best, In-ceiling or in-wall? Where would be the best location?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all the help I can get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Skip the snap add an additional layer of drywall with Green Glue. You should also be using two layers of 5/8 firecode drywall. Not any of the new lightweight drywall. I suspect you have little control over the drywall aspect. You may be stuck with builder standard.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Skip the snap add an additional layer of drywall with Green Glue. You should also be using two layers of 5/8 firecode drywall. Not any of the new lightweight drywall. I suspect you have little control over the drywall aspect. You may be stuck with builder standard.

Thanks for your response.

I have a good relationship with the builder. One of the framers/carpenters is my neighbor and does stuff for me on the side. The painter is a personal friend and I helped him with his AV needs at his house. Just trying to keep the costs low but I understand I have to spend some extra for these upgrades. Due to the fact it will be a rental property and it will be on the market as soon it's finished, I cannot take my time to save more money and hold the house for more weeks or months.

I'll forward these suggestions to the builder now and check costs.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Does anybody else want to chime in?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I favor acoustically transparent screens in just about every application. Get the center channel up high get the sides in from the walls.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
crazy 6-surround speaker layout
That's not so crazy. All of our THX Screening rooms and IMAX theaters are six or more surrounds.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #7 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I think you need a secured hush-box for the projector to keep your renters from fiddling with it. Expect shorter than average life as they will probably forget to turn it off. Make sure it exhausts hot air. Have a spare bulb handy otherwise you may encounter some angry tenants if you advertise the unit for rent with a theater and it is not functioning. Who is going to change the bulb?

A theater that seats 13 at the beach better have a super-sized AC. Not your typical builders one or two supply vents and no dedicated returns.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

That's not so crazy. All of our THX Screening rooms and IMAX theaters are six or more surrounds.

Hi Dennis. Just thought it was crazy for never seen a setup like this. I go to Cedia and CES every year and on the demo rooms "only" have 4 surrounds. DTS, Audyssey, Onkyo/Integra, Denon... Would Yamaha be the only manufacturer using it?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I favor acoustically transparent screens in just about every application. Get the center channel up high get the sides in from the walls.
Also, I don't see the benefit of the BD in this case. no ambient light.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Are you sure you want 13 seats in there? Can the house actually accommodate that many residents? If it can't, what sort of residents are you anticipating? What I'm getting it is that if you advertise the house as having an amenity for 13 guests, you're inviting parties - is that what you want?
post #11 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

From my experince with the outer banks and beach rentals it you have 4 bedrooms that means it sleeps 10. Two in each bedroom and two on a sofa bed. What happens is that two or three families will rent the house and may even plan to bring air mattresses for kids to sleep on the floor.

That is the reason I can't see a theater surviving unless it is bullet/idiot proof.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Are you sure you want 13 seats in there? Can the house actually accommodate that many residents? If it can't, what sort of residents are you anticipating? What I'm getting it is that if you advertise the house as having an amenity for 13 guests, you're inviting parties - is that what you want?

I'll have 2 rows of 5 seats each and 3 bar stools on the back. If somebody wants to watch a game, they could be more comfortable sitting on the back, with a counter to put food, drinks, etc.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Also, I don't see the benefit of the BD in this case. no ambient light.

Good point, was just thinking the PQ would be better on the BD.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #15 of 15 Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosimann View Post

Hi Dennis. Just thought it was crazy for never seen a setup like this. I go to Cedia and CES every year and on the demo rooms "only" have 4 surrounds. DTS, Audyssey, Onkyo/Integra, Denon... Would Yamaha be the only manufacturer using it?

I think the extra two surround speakers you are referring to are Yamaha's proprietary Virtual Presence Speaker. These are effectively an alternative to the Audessey Wide system. Yamaha has always had "interesting" DSP sound modes and these extra speakers are part of what makes that happen. You don't have to wire them up. The multiple surround speakers that Dennis is referring to I suspect are rows of side surround speakers often used in multi row setups.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page