Keeping Existing Rigid Ductwork Instead of Insulated Flex Duct - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the alternatives to installing insulated flex duct to minimize sound transfer if the basement already has rigid duct work to main floor above and to basement already?

Reasons for potentially keeping the existing rigid include cost of replacing existing ductwork, the decreased airflow/furnace efficiency and mainly health concerns (with a family already prone to severe allergies with dust being a major cause, I am concerned about the amount of dust that would collect in the dips and valleys of flex duct and their more fragile nature not being condusive to cleaning).

Are there insulated wraps that can be placed around rigid ductwork? Would they help some? Would something *like* a mass loaded vinyl be effective? (Although I anticipate much more costly than insulated flex duct, if it would help to alleviate the health issues than the cost would be worth it)

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Best person to talk to would be Ted White at The Soundproofing Company. He should be able to give you the advice and materials you need.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 569
the concern of metal duct is that it becomes a sound pipe for furnace motor noise into the theater and leaking theater sound out to the rest of the house. They make duct mufflers that fit on round metal duct work to mitigate the problem but again there are nooks and crannies for the dust to collect and I don't think they could be cleaned. I think the secret is to have a really good central air filter on the furnace and there will be minimal dust in the ducts. Not just a thick folded pleat filter but also an electrostatic cleaner. Flex duct is about $1 a foot so I don't buy the cost objection.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12

I've had a parade of contractors come through my home in the last couple of days as I start ramping up to finish the basement.  When I told them of my plans to take out all my hard metal ducts supply the theater room and replace with flexiduct and a separate air exchange/ventilation setup, they all think I'm crazy.  They all say that they have done multiple theater rooms and just put duct liner in there and their clients were happy.  But I think that this has to be done before the ducts are put in.  Retrofitting the ducts seems to be as much work as just replacing them.  And one, I found out, was on a separate HVAC unit so sound transmission through the theater ducts to other areas of the house wouldn't have been a concern.  

One person did mention something that sounded interested.  Basically it is a collar that fits at the outlet of the supply before the main trunk duct that is flexible that absorbs any vibration or mechanical noise from the unit before it gets to the ducts.  A similar collar is put in the return just before it gets back to the unit for the same purpose.  He said that existing systems could be retrofit.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #5 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Doubtful that your existing metal ducts were sized appropriately to install duct liner after the fact. Let alone sized to handle the heat load of an airtight (Soundproofed) theater room with a space heater (Projector)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 AM

hi silly willy,

have you made progress with this? i'm in the exact same situation; i will sound proof my first floor ceiling entirely with hat channel, clips gg, dd and don't want that to all go to waste by the metal ducts transmitting sound between rooms and fomo upstairs to downstairs. so im looking at replacing all my metal duct with flex duct but would rather keep the metal duct due to air flow, cleaning etc. anyway im curious as to what you have come up with in your set up  and what the  sound proofing results of it??

Cheers!

post #7 of 7 Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozibitjuice View Post

hi silly willy,

have you made progress with this? i'm in the exact same situation; i will sound proof my first floor ceiling entirely with hat channel, clips gg, dd and don't want that to all go to waste by the metal ducts transmitting sound between rooms and fomo upstairs to downstairs. so im looking at replacing all my metal duct with flex duct but would rather keep the metal duct due to air flow, cleaning etc. anyway im curious as to what you have come up with in your set up  and what the  sound proofing results of it??

Cheers!

I'm keeping the existing metal ductwork in mine and will do The SoundProofing Company's Solution #5 Method (DD + GG on the underside of the subfloor, insulation and then clips, channel and DD + GG again). I have only done the DD to the subfloor in the basement bedrooms so far but am still planning on doing the same in my theater room and TV/Game rooms. I can tell the DD+GG will help dampen things but I am worried the ducts will resonate quite a bit regardless (even if it were flexduct in mine)

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page