Does anyones build go perfectly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TK Doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Started order parts in November, wiring didn't start till January...

Now my wall guy is on vacation and can't repair the walls so i can't install the screen...so i have this beautiful Stewart Cinecurve 181 waiting for delivery...a DC1 just lying there in its box...and eventually i'll order my JVC X95...

But its just sooooo painful!!!!

So was it painful for anyone else?

I haven't watched a big screen home movie in months...and now the fiance is pregnant...and maybe, i won't get to use this thing really good for only a few months before baby arrives! (due in Sept)...

Do babies like loud noises?

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!
 

TK Doom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Most guys to keep moving would DIY when a particular resource was not available. There is a YouTube video on just about every aspect of wall repair/construction. Get off your ass and stop crying.
jdanforth likes this.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #3 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tlogan6797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
HA HA HA HAHA HAAAA HAA...stop it you're killing me.....does any build go perfectly?...HA HAAAA HAAA HHAAA, OMG, I can't stop laughing.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
tlogan6797 is offline  
post #4 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does anything, anything at all go perfectly? Not in my experience. And Big is right it's amazing what you can find online, I wouldn't have been able to build my room if not for resources here and other places.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

....................Get off your ass and stop crying.

I say let's start BIG's campaign for presidency, today!

You and I, sir, we're on the same page biggrin.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32


I'd vote for him. biggrin.gif

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

aaustin is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'll put a HT in every home. 7.1 surround for everyone! Big for Pres......Big for Pres.....Big for Pres......

As for the thread topic here is what I first thought about. I actually chucked to myself when I read the thread title.


Enjoy!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
alittletank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

Does anyones build go perfectly?


No

alittletank is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Chas821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyones build go perfectly?


ABSOLUTELY!!!!!











Just not yours tongue.gif

Perfection is highly overrated!!!
XBL GamerTag: Chas617
Chas821 is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Bay - Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Most guys to keep moving would DIY when a particular resource was not available. There is a YouTube video on just about every aspect of wall repair/construction. Get off your ass and stop crying.

Sweet.

Best 'quit your whining' post I have seen in years.

Willie
Willie is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
dvmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

HA HA HA HAHA HAAAA HAA...stop it you're killing me.....does any build go perfectly?...HA HAAAA HAAA HHAAA, OMG, I can't stop laughing.

+1

TK's been on AVS awhile....but maybe not on this part of the site. smile.gif
dvmiller is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jdanforth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Well...
My carpet demo guy almost died from an allergic reaction to the dust in the carpet

My drywall mud guy too FOREVER and I'm still not happy.

My painter slopped paint all over the carpet.

My Crestron programmer still hasn't installed an IR emitter on the Apple TV.

My carpenter used the wrong kind of screws and didn't own ANY of the required tools to do the job properly.

My installer did a sh%##y job wiring the rack so it's all ugly back there.

My fabric panel guy stretched the fabric wrong in a few places.

My screen manufacturer didn't cut the bevel properly and had to build a completely new replacement screen frame (the material was OK though!)

My lighting guy ran 12ga when 14ga would have been fine.

My lighting guy installed non-IC cans when he should have used IC...

Oh, and all of those people are me.
jdanforth is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 250
LOL!

Don't forget about the guy that installed the water feature in your theater. You can't blame Mr. jdanforth for that one smile.gif
Quote:
We had a BBQ on Saturday with a bunch of friends and their kids. Someone's kid tried to flush just a little bit too much toilet paper and overflowed the toilet above the theatre.

The toilet patiently and dutifully filled the entire bathroom an inch deep in water which then filtered through the hardwoods, through the subfloor and HVAC duct, and onto the ceiling of the theatre below. It pooled there for a while and then poured out of the light fixture directly onto our brand new ottoman.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Member
 
pdxfj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
No.. it does not..

But.. you will reach a point when it's no longer one step forward and two (or three) steps back. I've passed that point and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Although knowing my luck the light won't be the end of the tunnel but a freight train about to run me over. smile.gif

If all you need is some drywall patching, do it yourself. It's a lot easier than you would think. Youtube is your friend.
pdxfj is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TK Doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow! Tough crowd!

yeah, I'm not a do it yourself guy, i work too much during the day...

Ah well, i made some headway today with wall repair and paint...so thats something...

Yes, i'm going to go cry now. =(

Meanies!

And when i first started doing this, i really hadn't done anything HT related for YEARS, so i didn't think to look in this sub-forum.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!
 

TK Doom is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 230

This may give you some inspiration, and comfort:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1351987/theater-build-mikes-money-pit


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

Wow! Tough crowd!
Yes, i'm going to go cry now. =( Meanies!

We're really a bunch of Teddy Bears......Full of &^$% and Vinegar today I guess. Just some good natured ribbing. All in good fun. Why don't you provide some specs and pics of your space then we can really shred er a sheppard you through the process.

Welcome to the madness and the lunacy.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TK Doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Its too late now for that...i already bought a gigantic Stewart screen, so i'm stuck with what i thought was good! =)

I'm sure it'll be fine though!

There is so much invested and it isn't done yet, i don't need any ice water right now!

=)

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!
 

TK Doom is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR
 
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 20,672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 576
TK, did you get the 167 inch wide cinecurve 2.4 screen you were thinking about back in December? That is gigantic.
BIGmouthinDC is online now  
post #20 of 35 Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
TK Doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

TK, did you get the 167 inch wide cinecurve 2.4 screen you were thinking about back in December? That is gigantic.

I did.

yes, its gigantic, but before i took the plunge i was ASSURED that the X75 will drive it...i'm actually going to get an X95, but yes i did.

I think i got something a little tooooo big by 1" or 2 on the sides, as my speakers MIGHT look a little weird to the left/right...but we'll see...i have to make it work..its made and paid for!

i'm sure it will be fine..../prays

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!
 

TK Doom is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 230

Nothing can go wrong.

go wrong.

go wrong.

go wrong.


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jdanforth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

I did.

yes, its gigantic, but before i took the plunge i was ASSURED that the X75 will drive it...i'm actually going to get an X95, but yes i did.

I think i got something a little tooooo big by 1" or 2 on the sides, as my speakers MIGHT look a little weird to the left/right...but we'll see...i have to make it work..its made and paid for!

i'm sure it will be fine..../prays

Don't sweat it, man. We're just giving you a hard time. My build went "OK". My room was not built to the standards of Mr. Big or Mr. Erskine (in fact they very well might snicker...) but I'm DAMN happy with it and I'm DAMN proud that I built it myself.

It's impossible to get it perfect, sure. It's also pretty hard to screw it up so royally that you want to blow it to smithereens and start over.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

Wow! Tough crowd!

yeah, I'm not a do it yourself guy, i work too much during the day...

I work all day too but I can still sling drywall mud when I get home! Meanie! biggrin.gif
jdanforth is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
ScAndal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Well...
My carpet demo guy almost died from an allergic reaction to the dust in the carpet

My drywall mud guy too FOREVER and I'm still not happy.

My painter slopped paint all over the carpet.

My Crestron programmer still hasn't installed an IR emitter on the Apple TV.

My carpenter used the wrong kind of screws and didn't own ANY of the required tools to do the job properly.

My installer did a sh%##y job wiring the rack so it's all ugly back there.

My fabric panel guy stretched the fabric wrong in a few places.

My screen manufacturer didn't cut the bevel properly and had to build a completely new replacement screen frame (the material was OK though!)

My lighting guy ran 12ga when 14ga would have been fine.

My lighting guy installed non-IC cans when he should have used IC...

Oh, and all of those people are me.

crying...post of the year
ScAndal is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Skip-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will say for most of us, if things went as planned, well we wouldn't have all of these great stories to tell, and not as many opportunities for the beer breaks that often result after an 'awe $%*, F%^& it' moment.
Skip-B is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-B View Post

I will say for most of us, if things went as planned, well we wouldn't have all of these great stories to tell, and not as many opportunities for the beer breaks that often result after an 'awe $%*, F%^& it' moment.

And the "What I would do different next time" thread would be really, really boring... biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 230

There was this, too:

http://www.avsforum.com/a/the-best-of-the-worst-install-mistake-contest


Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

There was this, too:
http://www.avsforum.com/a/the-best-of-the-worst-install-mistake-contest

I've got one; I'm in the process of nailing my rear corner columns to the blocking I've attached to the wall. I step back to bask in the glory of what I have created only to realize there is something wrong. I drilled a hole for the speaker wire but forgot to thread the speaker wire through. Crap! So I get out my 1" bit and make a bigger hole and put my fish stick in with the hook attachment trying to grab the speaker cable. After about 10 minutes of trying I resort to a pry bar and yank out the left side of the column with minimal damage, fish the wire through, pull out the 2" nails and reattach it to the blocking.

From that point on until now I have knots tied in each of my column speaker wires.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
My theater room was several thousand dollars over budget and a few weeks behind schedule, but it was about 90% complete. Construction was done. I'd painted, put up the screen and mounted the projector. The speakers were all wired up. All I needed to do was install some acoustic treatments, order new furniture, and decorate a little.

Then I felt a puddle on the carpet in the middle of the floor - the carpet I'd put in just one week earlier.

Yes, I have a leak. From a sewer line. Insurance adjuster tells me that the carpet is a total loss. So I pull that out and dig up the floor. Then my plumber tells me that the leak isn't in the floor. It's behind the wall - the brand new double-drywall soundproofed wall that I just built. So now the plumber's cutting out a big section of that to remove and replace the broken pipe.

Even if he fixes the pipe behind the wall, the pipe below the floor also looks pretty thin, and we have concerns about that giving out eventually as well. So we're talking about either digging it totally out of the floor, or abandoning that plumbing and running a new pipe behind the wall from the back of the room (where the leaking kitchen line is) to the boiler room on the other side of the front. Basically, I need to either tear up the entire floor or the entire wall. I'm not sure which is worse.

The room is a total shambles, completely unusable, months behind schedule, and I'm out of money. I feel like I'd be better off to just level the f'ing house and start over at this point. frown.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Member
 
reynonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My advice, If your going to try something "DIY" for the first time like drywal,framing,painting,finish work ect... Find a friend or some idiot on craigslist and practice on their **** first. You might even get paid for it lol.
reynonic is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

My theater room was several thousand dollars over budget and a few weeks behind schedule, but it was about 90% complete. Construction was done. I'd painted, put up the screen and mounted the projector. The speakers were all wired up. All I needed to do was install some acoustic treatments, order new furniture, and decorate a little.

Then I felt a puddle on the carpet in the middle of the floor - the carpet I'd put in just one week earlier.

Yes, I have a leak. From a sewer line. Insurance adjuster tells me that the carpet is a total loss. So I pull that out and dig up the floor. Then my plumber tells me that the leak isn't in the floor. It's behind the wall - the brand new double-drywall soundproofed wall that I just built. So now the plumber's cutting out a big section of that to remove and replace the broken pipe.

Even if he fixes the pipe behind the wall, the pipe below the floor also looks pretty thin, and we have concerns about that giving out eventually as well. So we're talking about either digging it totally out of the floor, or abandoning that plumbing and running a new pipe behind the wall from the back of the room (where the leaking kitchen line is) to the boiler room on the other side of the front. Basically, I need to either tear up the entire floor or the entire wall. I'm not sure which is worse.

The room is a total shambles, completely unusable, months behind schedule, and I'm out of money. I feel like I'd be better off to just level the f'ing house and start over at this point. frown.gif

Man, that was painful to read, I feel for you, hopefully once you get through all of it and can enjoy the space it will seem worth it.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off