Question about my ceiling. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This year at some point I plan on dry walling my basement for my home theater. Right now I have this weird type of ceiling that I don't know the name of. In the picture below it's the stuff on the left.

I tore down some of them (they're all stapled to the ceiling so I can't easily take them down and then put them back up) just to kind of get a feel for when I tear it all down for the drywall ceiling.
(and also, that pipe that you see is nothing. I think it was just an extra pipe they had at the time. It's not connected to anything)

My question is if I should leave the boards that the tiles are stapled to or should I take those boards down too. Would there be any benefit to leaving those boards up? Would it make dry walling easier because there are more points to screw in to?

Sorry for the ignorance guys but I really don't know about this type of stuff. This will be the first room I actually re-do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
good news is those tiles are easy to take down, bad news is they may contain asbestos and you will create a health risk doing it. You may want to send a piece in for testing. If it does contain asbestos you would need a professional removal company to do the job.

As for the furring strips I'd take them off to gain the height unless they are shimmed to make up for uneven joist heights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

good news is those tiles are easy to take down, bad news is they may contain asbestos and you will create a health risk doing it. You may want to send a piece in for testing. If it does contain asbestos you would need a professional removal company to do the job.

As for the furring strips I'd take them off to gain the height unless they are shimmed to make up for uneven joist heights.

Do these types of tiles have a name? I'd like to do a bit more research on them.

And so how bad is it if I take it down myself wearing a mask and what not? Is it REALLY something I shouldn't do myself?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
I played with mercury as a kid, Our house had asbestos ceiling tiles and pipe insulation, The walls were painted with lead paint. (1954). I'm still standing. YMMV. My father installed the tiles and had to cut many by hand, he lived into his 80s.

As for doing it yourself, I'm sure many have done it. Many have not suffered any ill effects, Will you be as lucky? hard to say. Also tossing them in the trash will be illegal.

http://www.asbestos.net/exposure/products/general/ceiling-tiles

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page