Convert recessed light to power outlet for projector - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Convert recessed light to power outlet for projector

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

BigSlade's Avatar BigSlade
09:49 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 6
02-24-2013 | Posts: 209
Hi all, I just installed my projector and I have a temprory set up running a power cord along the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet, but I have a recessed light that is within 6" of my projector and I was wondering if converting this recessed light into an outlet would be a wise move. The outlet would I think only be active if I have the lights on, so I'm not sure if this is a wise move. I'm not sure if this would cause any issues with the projector losing power every time the lights are turned off. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
jdanforth's Avatar jdanforth
09:53 AM Liked: 25
post #2 of 6
02-24-2013 | Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlade View Post

Hi all, I just installed my projector and I have a temprory set up running a power cord along the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet, but I have a recessed light that is within 6" of my projector and I was wondering if converting this recessed light into an outlet would be a wise move. The outlet would I think only be active if I have the lights on, so I'm not sure if this is a wise move. I'm not sure if this would cause any issues with the projector losing power every time the lights are turned off. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You don't want to have the projector on a switched outlet. Projectors need to have standby power so that they can cool the lamp after you power it down. If the lamp doesn't cool down properly its lifespan is drastically reduced.
10:14 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 6
02-24-2013 | Posts: 209
I figued that, but thank you for the confirmation. Guess I go to plan B.
calimark's Avatar calimark
01:00 PM Liked: 11
post #4 of 6
02-25-2013 | Posts: 344
Are u sure that the light doesnt have an unswitched line next to it?
03:22 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 6
02-25-2013 | Posts: 209
No, I'm not sure if it does. How would one identify if it does or does not?
calimark's Avatar calimark
08:40 PM Liked: 11
post #6 of 6
02-25-2013 | Posts: 344
Turn off the power(breaker), pull it(the light) and look. Red/Black/White would indicate it has 2 live lines, one switched
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Subscribe to this Thread