Misguided 13'x14' HT build! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I've always wanted a HT but after seeing some of your builds I am blown away! I currently have an unfinished basement that I'm going to convert into a HT. Now I'm on somewhat of a budget and don't want to build something that I'll never use, like the pool table in my basement. Anyways I've got the room framed out but stopped to regroup. Thus this thread will begin with a purchase list that I'll need to complete the build, then will transition into buying everything, then into the build and results.

Step 1 - Needed Materials
(1) - Room with space. Mine is 13x14x8.
(2) - Projector [eye set on HD20 or HD66...3d I don't want]
(3) - Drywall [5/8 light rock]
(4) - IR lighting dimmer [lutron]
(5) - Ceiling mount
(6) - AVR, 7.1 [likely used Onkyo]
(7) - Screen, 100" 16:9 [likely electric FAVI]
(8) - 7.1 speakers [likely monoprice.com cheap set]
(9) - HDMI cable - 25ft [monoprice.com 22AWG CL2 one]
(10)- Recessed lighting - 6" IC [HALO new construction]
(11)- Paint - Mouse black
(12)- Flooring (currently have floating wood over concrete slab)
(13)- Insulation - R13 unfaced for ceiling...may go Roxul
(14)- Bass shakers + Amp [Aura Pros + 100w seperate amp]
(15)- Seating - currently sofa + Love seat
(16)- HVAC ducting - planning 2 7" supplies and 1 8" return
(17)- HVAC large registers - joists are 16" on center so going at least 12"x12"
(18)- Dehumidifier (best why to keep quiet?)
(19)- Trim - Base and Crown
(20)- Harmony remote
(21)- Door? [likely book case hidden door]
(22)- ????
(*99)-Misc - Electrical wire, Audio wire, New & old work gang box, CAT6...?

Basically this is my beginning shopping list. I'm starting small but with value in mind, I don't mind Used/Craigslist shopping for deals. Please add things I need to purchase or change for example. I will have a small 2x8 build riser for the rear sofa viewing distance about 13'6". Front love seat will be 10' viewing distance. Currently not planning a surround soffit, just 6 6" recessed cans overhead...bad idea?

Please help but try to keep things low priced, I'm not buying a $3k projector, AVR, speakers for my try.

I have search several of this questions and have answers but I'm putting all mine here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Nooooo light rock, you want the mass of Type X firecode for sound management.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well I already have some lite rock for the ceiling, can I just put a heavier 5/8 layer over it?
post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What is light rock?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

What is light rock?

Rock that's... Light. As in not as heavy.

post #6 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

The basement after demo.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

So I have the inside track on a used Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 and 4 Boston HD5s, a center JBL fix1 and surround JBL HLS410s plus a Klipsch KSW-100 8" sub. Is this a decent system? I've read Amazon reviews, does anyone have anything to say about it? Does $200 sound like a good deal for this setup?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

OK well the Onkyo 7.1 AVR was gone but I got a Pioneer HTP 071 system for $75. I know it's only 5.1 and it's sub isn't internally powered but I'll replace the sub. Although I did a quit hookup in my living room and WOW vs my factory Samsung tv speakers.

My room underlayment came in and so did the floating laminate. Remember it's on slab concrete. I plan to lay out a big area rug.

GREAT NEWS I just got a Optoma HD20 with 86 hours for $400!! I was going to go HD66 but with the HD20 deal I couldn't resist. I won't be picking up the HD20 until next week so pictures will have to wait.

Question: How big of a deal is fulling the riser with sand or should I just use insulation? Does it really matter if I'm not pumping serious bass?

Carpet: What quality should I look for in my area rug?
post #9 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger View Post

Question: How big of a deal is fulling the riser with sand or should I just use insulation? Does it really matter if I'm not pumping serious bass?

Carpet: What quality should I look for in my area rug?

Can you put sand under the stage locations where your sub will be located? Is it better, yes. Is it absolutely required, no. If you know where your sub is going to go though, I'd take the the time and create that solid foundation. It's not a major time issue (unless you get wet sand and then need to dry it out over days or weeks!), and isn't a significant cost issue.

Carpet, for the most part, is just your personal choice. If you can go dark, have dark carpet.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok update 1st.

OK I put a couple coats of dryloc paint on the exposed concrete foundation --> Never had water or moisture issues and did moisture test but better safe than sorry.

I don't have a picture of the foam board but I put 1" XPS R-max up along the foundation and cut to size for the sill plates the filled gaps with spray foam

I got the 5.1 basic surround for dirt cheap so I pulled the trigger, depending on how much I get into Audio this will be the first down the road upgrade.

R30 insulation for overhead insulation, then R13. R13 is also going in the interior walls.

Used HD20 with 91 hours for $75! I picked this puppy up at a gov't surplus auction! I was going to do HD66 but I'm lucked out!

Stopping point, sorry my makeshift office is in the basement as making room for family because of the upcoming wedding. Another reason I'm going cheaper on the equipment now. I tend to become uninterested in things if I don't use often, hence the unused pool table.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sound deadening question. So with my computer speakers, 0 bass, I can clearly hear the words upstairs. Will insulation and 5/8 drywall stop this? Everything I read says yes, if not blasting, and that the real soundproofing is needed for bass. However now is the time to decouple, GG, and double drywall. Will just insulation and drywall stop the treble from being clearly audible upstairs?

HVAC question - please confirm that one 8" return and two 2 6" feeds are adequate. I may zone this level as I already have a Honeywell four zone panel (only using two zones) have a variable speed AC and furnace.

Anyone using the Lutron IR dimmer? What is its IR degree range? I mean can I have the IR sensor at a 50 degree angle from the seats and it work with my Harmony 555 remote?

I'm waiting on my monoprice order of HDMI cables, HDMI splitter, and wall plates.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Got my Monoprice package. 22ga HDMI cables are LARGE!

Got quite a bit done. Fished my 12ga speaker wire up, finished drywall, added overhead lighting, started electrical, added insulation, started hvac, oh and a test shot of the HD20!

I'll post pictures later today.

Any help on my questions?
post #13 of 16 Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Some updates with the promised pictures. Sorry took so long I was in Chicago for St. Paddys day.

So I throw the HD20 up on the screen wall and even without any primer or paint it looks good. Although standard def and phone camera doesn't impress much in the picture. I do have a 3" dip in my concrete floor that I'm going to have to level, which really sucks. This first layer of drywall with R-5 foam board is up. I'm using roll insulation in the ceiling with R30 in the rim joists with R-5 foam board and spray foam to seal everything up.

I'm really having a HVAC problem. I'm running 2 6" sound insulated flex lines but my return is going directly into the main return and sound is going to travel way to easy here. Will an isolated box stop this?

Things are really coming along. I need to place a Green glue order!
post #14 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ok quick update, so my old hvac lines are actually 5in duct so as I'm putting in 6in flex it'll make the airflow similar to the 5in, which the hvac tech said was good. Bad news is I'm going to have to remove some old insulation to get a second 6in duct run, really bummed on this.

I got insulation completely up and ran the other hdmi cable for the avr, bluray, pj.

If I have a couch against the back wall will 7.1 provide any advantage over 5.1?

I'm going to get the soffit finished and get the last walls built then ceiling 5/8 drywall. Things are shaping up.

I'll post pictures tonight of what I accomplish.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

First layer of drywall hung. I had a buddy help so I have to take down two small soffit pieces so finish the soffit but I wanted to take advantage of my buddies help to get the ceiling done.

HVAC consists of two 6" insulated supplies and one 10x10" return.

I want the PJ as close to the ceiling as possible so I recessed it's mounting location, which is the big hole you see in the pictures. The return isn't cut in these pictures.

What does everyone think?

post #16 of 16 Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Keep up the good work! My HVAC guy is putting in two 7" supplies at the front, and one return at the rear. The return will be down at floor level behind the seating, so I hope that keeps some of the noise from getting spread throughout the house.

Did you go with clips and channels to decouple?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page