The "widow maker" theater build - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

I do hope there's going to be plenty of ridges on that rounded ceiling, otherwise it'll be focusing the ceiling reflex even stronger...

The barrel vault is in the hallway leading to the theater so unless I blow the door off my theater with my yet to be purchased speakers....I doubt it will be a problem. tongue.gif

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Is that a problem for a hallway outside the theater?

Thanks Big! You are correct, it is the hallway to the theater...

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #33 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

I'm curious about this as well. Not sure I would consider this width constrained for speaker placement. My room is one foot narrower, and all are behind a 120" wide screen with L&R toed in. There must be something that we aren't seeing just yet.

Looking good so far. Will be fun to follow this one!

I will send Shawn a message tonight and report back as to the exact reasons...I am embarrassed that I do not already know the answer...confused.gif

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #34 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

It will depend on how close the seats are to the screen. If you are closer then 30 degrees might put the speakers behind the screen. As you move further away, the speakers move further apart, and at some point you need to start moving them down the walls to get the correct placement.

Of course, this is all speculation without dimensions biggrin.gif

Man you guys are needy....now you want dimensions!!

So my screen will be ~ 2' 6.25" off the back wall, the first row of seating is 10'1" from the screen. I found this dispersion picture for one of the speakers (JTR Noesis) I am looking at, these particular speakers have a horn rather than a traditional tweeter and needs toed in to create the full sound field....or so I'm told. wink.gif
photo 900x900px-LL-6dbbacb8_Noesishorndispersion_zpsf561c9a3.jpeg

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #35 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

So true...We'll see how good Mitch is at picking up on subtle hints...tongue.gif

If you ask my wife....I am not very good with subtle hints, it usually takes a sledge hammer! tongue.gif

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #36 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
GWCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

If you ask my wife....I am not very good with subtle hints, it usually takes a sledge hammer! tongue.gif
If she misplaces it, I'm sure my wife would lend her one. She has plenty...rolleyes.gif
GWCR is online now  
post #37 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

LOL, I sure am thanks for stopping in RTROSE! I may have to hit you up for an audition of your Ascends at some point since they are one of the speakers I am looking at. My job takes me to IN a few times a month so maybe I can bribe you somehow?....as long as you do not install a lock like Vic's on your theater anytime soon . biggrin.gif

Being locked in VIk's theater is going to follow me around like Bobby Knight and the chair incident. Funny though. In fact I talked to Vik about that today. biggrin.gif Oh and I don't have a fancy schmancy door lock, just a regular schmegular door latch and handle. Someone would have to penny us in to trap us. Not likely as no one in my family even knows what that is. wink.gif

On the Ascends, they are a great speaker, and perform extraordinarily well. You would be more than welcome to audition them in my space.

Speaking of subtle hints, I think it is just a guy thing. However instead of a sledge hammer, Mrs. RTROSE usually just smacks the back of my head with her hand and is is much easier and more timely than going to get the sledge, plus a sledge is so hard to keep in your purse. Or that's what she tells me anyway.

On a serious note though. Is your overall room dimensions 21’ 7” x 13’ 5” or is that your calculated finished space not including the depth of your AT space behind the screen. My theater is right at 20 x 13.5 so seeing my space would give you a pretty good idea on what you have to work with.

Love the arched hallway and that's a pretty slick system you're using to get that done. Very cool.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #38 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

Thanks J_P_A and welcome aboard! I will be seeking out your advice on which are the best screws when I go to install my clips/channel since it looks like you are now the resident expert. wink.gif

You, sir; you are going to fit in just fine smile.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is online now  
post #39 of 54 Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

Thanks design1stcode2nd! Although I have to say...it's was tough for me to respond to a Ravens fan (huge Steelers fan here) but I am a big enough man (at least that is what the scale tells me) to say congrats on the SB win. That was really a hard game for me to watch as I really did not want either team to win; I did not want SF to tie Pitt with 6 SB wins and with the Ravens being the Steelers biggest rival it was hard for me to cheer them on. However, when all is said and done, I am glad the AFC won. All I can say is "wait til next year!" biggrin.gif

Seriously....congrats.

I think the rest of Steeler nation felt the same, my Steeler friend at work was just happy we beat Tom Brady.

With the cap issues we are going to have it's going to be an interesting off season.

Personally between you and me the only reason the Ravens won was because my theater was out of commission. I'm sure we will do terrible now that it will be done before the 2013 season.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #40 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuasha View Post

Nice suit! Saving that pic!

Looks great Mike!

Thanks Jim...If you are going to save the picture, I suggest sending it to fathead.com and get a life size version that we can hang in the Chicago office. eek.gif

FYI for the rest of you....Jim took the easy way out and decided to hire a contractor for his theater; there was some discussion about taking his "man card" from him but in the end, we just took his tool belt instead. To his credit, he is actually able to enjoy his theater while I slave away in mine. On the other hand...I know another guy (no names to protect the guilty) that has been "working" (and I use that term loosely) on this space for over 4-years and is not close to being done. However, I cannot be too hard on him as he is my boss and I like my job. biggrin.gif

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #41 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Newbie
 
charlesking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks good Mike! I'll be sure to track the progress and see how much gets done when you are supposed to be working. smile.gif
charlesking is offline  
post #42 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,370
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 307
^^^ Ruh-Roh eek.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is online now  
post #43 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Being locked in VIk's theater is going to follow me around like Bobby Knight and the chair incident. Funny though. In fact I talked to Vik about that today. biggrin.gif Oh and I don't have a fancy schmancy door lock, just a regular schmegular door latch and handle. Someone would have to penny us in to trap us. Not likely as no one in my family even knows what that is. wink.gif

On the Ascends, they are a great speaker, and perform extraordinarily well. You would be more than welcome to audition them in my space.

Speaking of subtle hints, I think it is just a guy thing. However instead of a sledge hammer, Mrs. RTROSE usually just smacks the back of my head with her hand and is is much easier and more timely than going to get the sledge, plus a sledge is so hard to keep in your purse. Or that's what she tells me anyway.

On a serious note though. Is your overall room dimensions 21’ 7” x 13’ 5” or is that your calculated finished space not including the depth of your AT space behind the screen. My theater is right at 20 x 13.5 so seeing my space would give you a pretty good idea on what you have to work with.

Love the arched hallway and that's a pretty slick system you're using to get that done. Very cool.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks RTROSE!

My overall calculated finished room dimensions will be 21' 7" x 13' 5" from wall to wall

The screen will sit 2' 6.25" from the front finished wall

The first row of seating will be 10' 1" from the front of the screen leaving ~9' for my second row...unless my math is way off as I ran out of fingers and toes pretty quick. smile.gif

[URL=http://<a href="http://s1247.beta.photobucket.com/user/mjmitchell1970/media/CountingFingersampToes_zps386264ab.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/158717/" border="0" alt=" photo CountingFingersampToes_zps386264ab.jpg"/></a>]photo CountingFingersampToes_zps386264ab.jpg[/URL]

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #44 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesking View Post

Looks good Mike! I'll be sure to track the progress and see how much gets done when you are supposed to be working. smile.gif

Honestly, my Internet connection is so slow....these updates were actually done this morning BEFORE work and were just now posted...

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #45 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

^^^ Ruh-Roh eek.gif

Tell me about it...I've got no one to blame but myself as I actually sent him the link!!! What was I thinking!! wink.gif

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #46 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Mitch,

I love the arched hallway.

I am also currently implementing a Shawn Byrne design via the pro theater layout and additional consulting. He knows his stuff.

FYI there is a speaker meet in Des Moine, Iowa on April 27th. I am hoping to go but my wife is putting her foot down with all the time and money I am spending on my own room lately. It would quite a drive for you but if you are interested in the JTR Noesis speakers they will be there.

Here is the list taken from this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460712/central-iowa-spring-audio-gtg-jtr-bamberg-seaton-salk-gr-research

"Speaker Attendance
Bamberg Series 5 Speakers brought by Phil Bamberg of Bamberg Audio
http://bambergaudio.com/products/series5/series-5-tmw.php
Phil will be in attending the event to discuss his speakers and answer any questions.

JTR Noesis Speakers brought by Jeff Permanian of JTR Speakers
http://jtrspeakers.com
Jeff will be attending the event to discuss his speakers and answer any questions.

Seaton Sound Catalyst brought by Mark Seaton of Seaton Sound
http://www.seatonsound.net/
Mark will be attending the event to discuss his speakers and answer any questions.

GR Research LS6 Line Array Speakers brought by DesertDome
http://angelcityaudio.com/products/gr-research/

Salk HT2-TL'S brought by me!
http://www.salksound.com/ht2-tl%20-%20home.htm"

Most of the designers will be there which is a pretty rare opportunity. I have met Jeff and Mark and they are cool fellows. The Noesis is also near the top of my list. I had the opportunity to listen to the demo pair that he sent around to a few of us before he actually debuted the speakers. I was literally blown away. I posted my impressions in the thread. I listened to them in the same room as Desertdomes GR Research LS6 Line Arrays which are also flat out amazing with his 8 x 15'' IB array.

One more thing I noticed that Procella is on your list. Shawn is obviously a dealer for Procella. I am not sure if you have ever heard them but the main reason I went ahead and hired Shawn was after demoing a theater with Procella speakers that Shawn did a professional calibration for. It was Randy Bessingers room and my impressions are in the Procella thread. I have never heard a more cohesive surround sound experience in my life. I can honestly say that I did not understand what surround sound could be until I heard the Master and Commander scene in that room.

-Grant
jedimastergrant is online now  
post #47 of 54 Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nightlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Sweden
Posts: 2,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

The barrel vault is in the hallway leading to the theater so unless I blow the door off my theater with my yet to be purchased speakers....I doubt it will be a problem. tongue.gif

Yeah, I already got hit on the head once before for not reading carefully enough... It was just the desire to help you avoid making a mistake with the theater room as quickly possible... For a hallway it will be absolutely lovely. smile.gif

Under construction: the Larch theater
Nightlord is online now  
post #48 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RTROSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 6,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 69
^^^^^^^^ You're not talking about me now are you?


Regards,


RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
RTROSE is offline  
post #49 of 54 Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Mitch,

I love the arched hallway.

I am also currently implementing a Shawn Byrne design via the pro theater layout and additional consulting. He knows his stuff.

FYI there is a speaker meet in Des Moine, Iowa on April 27th. I am hoping to go but my wife is putting her foot down with all the time and money I am spending on my own room lately. It would quite a drive for you but if you are interested in the JTR Noesis speakers they will be there.

Here is the list taken from this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460712/central-iowa-spring-audio-gtg-jtr-bamberg-seaton-salk-gr-research

"Speaker Attendance
Bamberg Series 5 Speakers brought by Phil Bamberg of Bamberg Audio
http://bambergaudio.com/products/series5/series-5-tmw.php
Phil will be in attending the event to discuss his speakers and answer any questions.

JTR Noesis Speakers brought by Jeff Permanian of JTR Speakers
http://jtrspeakers.com
Jeff will be attending the event to discuss his speakers and answer any questions.

Seaton Sound Catalyst brought by Mark Seaton of Seaton Sound
http://www.seatonsound.net/
Mark will be attending the event to discuss his speakers and answer any questions.

GR Research LS6 Line Array Speakers brought by DesertDome
http://angelcityaudio.com/products/gr-research/

Salk HT2-TL'S brought by me!
http://www.salksound.com/ht2-tl%20-%20home.htm"

Most of the designers will be there which is a pretty rare opportunity. I have met Jeff and Mark and they are cool fellows. The Noesis is also near the top of my list. I had the opportunity to listen to the demo pair that he sent around to a few of us before he actually debuted the speakers. I was literally blown away. I posted my impressions in the thread. I listened to them in the same room as Desertdomes GR Research LS6 Line Arrays which are also flat out amazing with his 8 x 15'' IB array.

One more thing I noticed that Procella is on your list. Shawn is obviously a dealer for Procella. I am not sure if you have ever heard them but the main reason I went ahead and hired Shawn was after demoing a theater with Procella speakers that Shawn did a professional calibration for. It was Randy Bessingers room and my impressions are in the Procella thread. I have never heard a more cohesive surround sound experience in my life. I can honestly say that I did not understand what surround sound could be until I heard the Master and Commander scene in that room.

-Grant

Thanks for stopping by Grant! Yea, Shawn has been great to work with, we have a call scheduled for this Saturday to discuss a few things about my plans that he put together.

The GTG sounds great but I will just be getting back in town from business in FL and my wife would kill me if I tell her I am leaving again for some HT fun. eek.gif

I was at CEDIA this past September at got to hear the Procella's myself and they are amazing; however, that awesomeness comes with quite a price tag. That is why the JTR 228's are currently number one on my list especially with that intro price; I am having a hard time keeping my fingers away from my credit card and not sure how much longer I can control the urge to call Jeff and order them.

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #50 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AirBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

Thanks AirBenji, yea it's been a lot of work but I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble...mostly. BTW, beautiful theater, I really like your carpet! The family and I are headed to Universal the end of March for spring break; I have heard nothing but good thing about the place and your pictures look amazing!

Thanks! I'm sure you'll enjoy Universal - I know I had a great time there.

I saw that you were asking about the QSC stuff above and are still on the fence re speakers. I don't have them in my HT, but I visited member michelmia's house for a few days in the fall and he has the full compliment. (Procella fronts and subs, Triad surrounds, QSC DSP - design by Dennis E. and calibration by Adam Pelz. Search for Chartrand Family Theater) We watched several movies and a bunch of clips - gave the gear what I'd consider a very solid test drive.

I can say without question that michelmia's room was the best audio environment I have EVER been in - commercial spaces included. The audio was nothing short of superlative. Procella obviously makes great products, but my understanding is that the QSC products allow them to do things they wouldn't otherwise be capable of in a straight receiver-to-speaker setup. Of course, everyone's financial perspective is his own, but I think most would agree that those speakers and the associated processors aren't cheap (more like a sizeable investment). But for what it's worth, they deliver something I have never heard before, and it's darn amazing. It has put the Procella & QSC combo is at the very top of my HT wish list. smile.gif

EDIT: Oops. Looks like I should read the whole thread before replying! redface.gif Just saw your post above re speakers - I have also heard (well not physically but...) that those JTR speakers are amazing as well. And yep, the Procella price tag is kind of like swallowing a handful of thumbtacks for me. smile.gif

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
AirBenji is online now  
post #51 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Thanks! I'm sure you'll enjoy Universal - I know I had a great time there.

I saw that you were asking about the QSC stuff above and are still on the fence re speakers. I don't have them in my HT, but I visited member michelmia's house for a few days in the fall and he has the full compliment. (Procella fronts and subs, Triad surrounds, QSC DSP - design by Dennis E. and calibration by Adam Pelz. Search for Chartrand Family Theater) We watched several movies and a bunch of clips - gave the gear what I'd consider a very solid test drive.

I can say without question that michelmia's room was the best audio environment I have EVER been in - commercial spaces included. The audio was nothing short of superlative. Procella obviously makes great products, but my understanding is that the QSC products allow them to do things they wouldn't otherwise be capable of in a straight receiver-to-speaker setup. Of course, everyone's financial perspective is his own, but I think most would agree that those speakers and the associated processors aren't cheap (more like a sizeable investment). But for what it's worth, they deliver something I have never heard before, and it's darn amazing. It has put the Procella & QSC combo is at the very top of my HT wish list. smile.gif

EDIT: Oops. Looks like I should read the whole thread before replying! redface.gif Just saw your post above re speakers - I have also heard (well not physically but...) that those JTR speakers are amazing as well. And yep, the Procella price tag is kind of like swallowing a handful of thumbtacks for me. smile.gif

No worries AirBenji, I know exactly what you mean about the Procella's; if money were no object, they would definitely be the speakers for my room. That reminds me...I need to go buy a Powerball ticket! smile.gif

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #52 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmitchell1970 View Post

Yep, its a shelf for the center channel....as I mentioned earlier, I will dig through my notes from Shawn as to why that was done. As you can probably tell, I still struggle with some of the concepts behind a good sounding theater, which is why I paid for the design. smile.gif

Just wanted to follow up on this one as I spoke to Shawn and my front speakers will be toed in during calibration; the modeling software also placed the two subs up front along with a balancing sub in my columns.

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
post #53 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HopefulFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,104
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Huh. I didn't notice the extra sub half way up the left wall. Thanks for the follow up. smile.gif
HopefulFred is online now  
post #54 of 54 Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mjmitchell1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So there has been some actual build progress....

I completed the plumbing for the bathroom, bar and sink in the theater hallway concession area, I also have most of the electrial complete outside of the theater. I installed a 100amp subpanel that will be dedicated for the basement and went through 1000' of 12/2 cable. I need to grab some updated pictures but hopefully these few shots of the new subpanel will suffice until I can get some pictures of the plumbing and electrical.

Main panel
photo IMG_77421_zps05ca9cd9.jpg

New subpanel
photo IMG_77391_zps2afa549f.jpg

The "Widow Maker" build thread (Caution - progress is slow)

Bottles of Advil - 2
Boxes of Band-Aids - 1
mjmitchell1970 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off