False wall fabric...Velvet at Joann's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found this fabricat joann's for $11.99/yd. If you go to the website they have 40% off coupons. I bought 8 yards for under $75.00. It is a strechable deep dark black velvet. I have been searching for a while for a good fabric for my false wall and I think this will work really well. Has anyone else used this or something similar? Just wondering about placing speakers behind it. It seems rather breathable so I don't think it will be an issue..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Well I would not suggest placing speakers behind anything less than a completely acoustically transparent fabric. You could still use that velvet for other parts your false wall as far as I know. As far as the light absorbing quality of that particular velvet I am not sure. There has been several threads discussing the merits of triple black plush vs protostar vs velvetyne and many others.

I am still unsure which black velvet I will use for my screen frame. Also not sure if I will use velvet for other areas of the false wall or go with something like gom fr701. I am even considering using speaker fabric for the part of the false wall that covers my mains. Unless I can be convinced that something like fr701 will not be detrimental in any way.
ghosthunter79 likes this.

Sunflower State Cinema -Now with JTR 212 HT's

FS: JVC RS45 bought new from AVS (PM me)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
If your mains are behind the screen and only the subs are behind the velvet you should be fine.
ghosthunter79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement