Home theater specs - pls provide any feedback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I am finalizing the planning for my home theater and would really appreciate any feedback.

Room dimensions are 12'W by 19.5'L by 9'H. Entry is from the rear side door. I am aiming for 2 rows of 3 seating...I will have to get space savers (<100 inches) in order to have enough aisle room. Considering either Palliser bullets/blades or Berklines from Roman. I am a little worried about power recline (I have 4 kids - will it break?) but everyone says go for it...

Riser: riser will be 11-12 inches high (with a step) and would be 102 inches wide by 84 inches deep. Eyes in the rear row will be about 19 ft from the screen, front row eyes will be about 12 ft from the screen.

Projector: planning on either the Panasonic AT8000 or the Sony HW50ES. Significant price difference so not sure what to do here.

Screen: aiming for either 110 inch 16:9 or 115 inch 2.35:1. I am also considering the multi format screen (106") from Monoprice - any thoughts?

Speakers: given I will have limited room on either side of the screen, I will either go with on wall or in wall speakers (which must have enclosures). Right now I am thinking of the Definitive Tech UIW-RLS II for Front/Center/Right and UIW-RSS II for surrounds. Surrounds will be in the wall in between first and second row. I have not yet selected a subwoofer. I am also wiring the rear wall in case I want to upgrade to 7.1 at a later date.

Remote: start off with Harmony 900 w/RF (components will be in a closet) and I will upgrade later once budget allows.

Other: I will use Lutron dimmers for cans in the ceiling and sconces. Room is carpeted but I assume I will need more acoustical insulation so I may just buy pre-made acoustical panels as a first step.

For all of you who have been through this daunting experience.....please let me know if this sounds like a reasonable plan!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
12x19.5 is plenty for two rows. If you are looking at a budget screen (below Carada in price) I'd recommend making your own. I think I made mine for maybe $150 and you could make it a tad cheaper and it's acoustically transparent if you were looking at a false screen wall or inwalls.

For reference the picture below is a 120" 2.35:1 screen in a 12'x15' room. That leaves me with about 15"-16" on either side of the screen after side treatments.
4F88F4E0-3A24-4061-BF4B-FCFD2F625D76-288-0000003590DA4BFC_zps02761211.jpg

I have a Pany 4k and I've heard nothing but good things about the 8k. I'd wait until you are almost complete before looking at projectors as they change quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have a hunch you might prefer to move the seating forward a little. Mostly I say that to help you get the rear row off the wall, where sound will be inferior. If you can, try out some images before you build the riser and lock in your seating positions; you may find that those screen sizes are not as large as you imagine once you see them from 12 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
It would help if you could sketch the floor plan on a napkin, take a picture and post, I'd like to see how you are going to make the rear door entrance and riser integration. For space savers you might consider the Palliser HiFi, I been sitting on one over at Landshark1's and I like the feel. A row of 3 is 94 inches wide.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
I have a Pany 4k and I've heard nothing but good things about the 8k. I'd wait until you are almost complete before looking at projectors as they change quickly.

Agreed. I just saw the 7K for the same price I paid for my 4K and I don't think there's that big of a difference between the specs of the 7K and the 8K like there is between the 4k and the 7K.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #6 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

See attached image. Sorry it is the best I can do. I drew the chairs in their upright positions. The HVAC and A/C closet will house the equipment. YOu can walk around to behind the screen - hence I was thinking of doing the in wall speakers either to the side of the screen or behind the screen itself),

I appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks
DOC542.pdf 15k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOC542.pdf (15.5 KB, 38 views)
post #7 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

That looks great. What kind of speakers are those?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
If the room isn't built I would flip the room. move the door a couple feet toward the center and build the riser sidewall to sidewall. Walk in, in front of first row. And change the swing of the furnace room door to out of the theater not in.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page