Q re riser construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have decided to build my own riser and stage after getting some seriously drug induced quotes from contractors.

I want a riser roughly 300mm high, and I am imagining that I can do it by making a simple rectangle out of 290x45mm pine cuts, using 4-6 screws per end of timber and glue to put them together like so:

(note that my tolerances will be more precise in the non-MS Paint version cool.gif )

keeping the 'joists' approx 300mm apart so that I can drop some insulation batts inside and then whack some 22mm particle board on the top and carpet.

Is this about appropriate? as a lot of people I have spoken to are either a) making it seem like this will be a flimsy piece of junk that will collapse the moment I put a chair on it, or b) that I am going to cut my thumbs and fingers off trying to build it.

A quick search seems to show that most people appear to be doing it this way - unless there is something I am missing...

Advice? Recommendations?

Thanks!!!

My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 126
If you want it to double as a bass trap, you need to let air in somewhere.

I did mine with crossed layers of 145x45mm instead and my insulation required 450mm spacing. I myself is overly fond of angle brackets, so that's what I used and it seems rock solid.
20120731.jpg

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not too fussed re bass trap, but like the crossover design. I'm concerned about horizontal stability.

My build thread:
post #4 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I'm planning to build mine with two layers of subfloor on top, to make it feel less flimsy. I wouldn't go so far as to rip down the joists I use to build it in order to allow room for two layers, but I'd try to use the dimensions that would allow two layers to come out to the right height. Horizontal stability shouldn't be a problem, especially once you screw (not nail) the subfloor to it.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608

Top was three layers of 5/8 OSB with green glue between layers, Stuffed with insulation, vents cut for bass trapping at wall riser intersections,

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD360 View Post

and glue to put them together

You can glue it together if you want but if you use deck screws it will stay together for a lifetime. I use a framing gun with nails because it is faster.

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

I like the way you used smaller timber and supported it in the center. Save money and weight.
I was thinking a layer of silicone (glue/silicone - same thing) between each meeting timber join + decking screws to ensure no rattles or vibrations - is this overkill?

Also - I feel my build is more legitimate now that Big has posted in one of my threads biggrin.gif

My build thread:
post #8 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD360 View Post

is this overkill?

I don't think the word Overkill is in the home theater enthusiast/builders vocabulary.

I think we put those things under the category of "well it can't hurt".

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page