Sound proofing my french doors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need advice.....Getting ready to drywall (staggered stud frame) and then build a custom door frame given the new thickness of the wall (of oak) to support my heavier french doors. Going to find solid wood doors which i know will weigh a lot more than my current hollow doors but need some help keeping the sound from leaking out.

Have to keep them french, per the wife so any thoughts? Please keep in mind there is a buget (already exceeding the wiffes comfort zone since i just bought the proj and screen biggrin.gif ).

IS there an option to just eep my hollow door and cover some way wih MLV, etc...? I figure solid wood doors are the way to go having reading many threads.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your biggest issue will be how to seal the doors. You will need a threshold and sealed astragal and a good seal around the entire perimeter of the door.
I am in the same boat, and made doors out of 1 3/4" firedoor slabs with a sheet of 3/4 MDF green glued and screwed to the interior face. If you are going to spend the time, floor space, and money to sound proof the walls I wouldn't go any less than a 20 minute solid core wood door. I made my own frame with a integrated toe-stubber threshold. I'm cutting the face off the old hollowcore doors and adhering it to the exterior door faces so they match the other doors in the house from outside the theater..
post #3 of 18 Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I also remember seeing threads where people have filled hollow core doors with sand or concrete.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If you're going all out on soundproofing (decoupling, double drywall, Green Glue, etc.) don't use french doors. It's as simple as that.

The bigger entrance isn't worth the reduction in isolation performance after you've put so much time and money into it.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #5 of 18 Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader View Post

Your biggest issue will be how to seal the doors. You will need a threshold and sealed astragal and a good seal around the entire perimeter of the door.
I am in the same boat, and made doors out of 1 3/4" firedoor slabs with a sheet of 3/4 MDF green glued and screwed to the interior face. If you are going to spend the time, floor space, and money to sound proof the walls I wouldn't go any less than a 20 minute solid core wood door. I made my own frame with a integrated toe-stubber threshold. I'm cutting the face off the old hollowcore doors and adhering it to the exterior door faces so they match the other doors in the house from outside the theater..

Rader, are you also working with french doors? Have you thougt of just using solid wood? I like the idea of the firedoor plus GG and mdf, but how are you cutting the face off the old hollow door?

Aaustin, I know what your saying but I have to keep y wife a little happy. Besides the room is mostly decoupled for the room that shares a wall with the bonus room. If a little get into the hallway i think it wont be enough to wake anyone up, especially not with the other rooms doors closed. Unless you know otherwise.

post #6 of 18 Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader View Post

I also remember seeing threads where people have filled hollow core doors with sand or concrete.

I doubt there are any hollow core doors that start life with a strong enough perimeter frame to stand up to normal use with the added weight and would not pursue that strategy. I've actually had some hollow core doors come apart in my life and after seeing what is on the inside it would not support the added weight. In a recent project I got a 1 3/4 inch thick solid Particle core door with wood veneer finish (Think heavy office door), mounted in a jamb with 5 commercial hinges. We also added two layers of 1/2 MDF with Green Glue and the door had a 2x4 acoustical panel on the theater side. Sucker was heavy and it was quiet. We did use Ted's perimeter seals. See my Curve Frenzy project.

If you want a sand filled door, build your own starting with a frame that would stand up to the weight. Concrete is a good sound conductor and would add mass but would not damp the sound like sand.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Myke View Post

Rader, are you also working with french doors? Have you thougt of just using solid wood? I like the idea of the firedoor plus GG and mdf, but how are you cutting the face off the old hollow door?
Double doors, but not french doors, as in the kind with windows? I used a solid hemlock interior door on my last build - it had no where near the mass of the particle core firedoor and was very thin around the panels (~1/2"). There are a lot of build threads where people have used solid wood exterior doors, and I don't recall reading any complaints.
I am going to split the old hollow door with a circular saw, straightedge guide and jig to make the cut straight and safe. Not the kind of cut I have the skill to free hand. Then screw and glue the face of the old doors to the new. It's a work in progress so who knows if it will turn out. I know it's a hack job, but I would like the doors to match all the other doors in my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I doubt there are any doors that start life with a strong enough perimeter frame to stand up to normal use with the added weight and would not pursue that strategy.

Good advise. That last reply was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek, but it never comes across right over the internet. I can imagine a standard hollow core door holding up until the door is hung and closed the first time, then blowing apart at the bottom and spilling 100lbs of sand over the new $45/yd patterned carpet. At my last house one of the doors had a hole in it from being hit by the end of a broom.
I had to google search anyway just to make sure I wasn't imagining things: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1235296/how-to-make-a-2-panel-door-into-a-sound-proof-theater-door
post #8 of 18 Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Sooo......isnt a french door and double door essentialy the same thing?

I have two doors that both operate and meet/latch together in the middle of the doorwa when they come togethery.....no windows, just upgraded interior hollow panel doors.

Btw, I like the idea of the face lift for the interior doors to match the existing doors in the house. Good luck on the cuttng!

BIGmouthinDC, was your custom door jam made of oak to support the weight? I assume you tied into the 2x4's that framed the door way also?

post #9 of 18 Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There are double doors that create an air lock between them. One opens out one opens in. The combination has a higher sound control than a single.

Yes I was able to add extra long screws to the hinges that extended into the framing. The jam was made of a paint grade finger joined wood, don't recall the species. It was what the custom millwork shop normally used, probably pine.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Gothca, the only problem with the millwork is the cost of custom, i'm reaching a point of needing to save as much as i can, i was hoping to measure out several times before cutting out the hinges. It seems to be a very percise project! I was going to use oak for the door jam and tie into the studs also with longer screws to compensate for the weight. Any insight to the process of hanging doors would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
MIke

post #11 of 18 Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I've never paid over $180 for a custom ordered door in a custom width jamb.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Really.....know any place around the Raleigh nc area that you would use or heard of? I assume it would be double for a French door setup but that's a doable price range!

post #13 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You need to figure out where the builders buy their doors in your area. It isn't Home Depot.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
You need to figure out where the builders buy their doors in your area. It isn't Home Depot.

I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING in my house came from HD. So far, I've been able to match up anything I've needed to.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #15 of 18 Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There are only so many companies that make the actual door slabs, There are many more companies that buy those slabs, mount it in frame, drill the lockset holes and call it a pre-hung door under their brand name. When I was looking for matching doors, Every one had Masonite safe and sound doors to match.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM

post #17 of 18 Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey guys, just came across this thread while googling home theater doors. I'm in the same boat and need to purchase french doors for my office, media, audio room. I am planning on double drywall, green glue, but not de-coupling. I'm not after 100% isolation or sound-proofing, but a reasonably good blend of damping and proofing. But I do want my doors to be heavy and solid to provide for as much sound isolation as possible. So.... I'm researching my door options at the moment and there isn't much to choose from at the big box stores, especially when it comes to french doors. I really wasn't expecting too much. Since my space is not huge, I've decided to go with 2 x 2' french door, instead of a larger, more standard size. At this point it looks like I need to start looking at the specialty and contractor outlet type stores in my area. I'm not in a large metro area, but any dealer can order the right doors. Right? smile.gif I'm a couple months away from finishing, so I need to find something that will work and soon. Advice?

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #18 of 18 Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 PM

The seals around the French doors will make a big difference... more so than the doors themselves. I got my door drop bottoms from Zero International.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page