Sound Proofing my neighbours bass.. Please help! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No way I'd be spending money to soundproof because of his music.. I'd buy as many 15's as I could afford and then put a few 8" port holes in the wall of the house out towards his and let it rip...

Then tell him when he wants to talk about turning his down to come talk to you. Then once you guys work it out you can sell us the extra subs you don't need at a steep discount. biggrin.gif
vikgrao likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeYs View Post

Soon i'll post a thread about the best SUBWOOFER I should get to piss of my neighbour.

"Get the Orbitshifter LF" It will make everything fall off of shelves and even peel off the paint from freshly painted walls biggrin.gif and if some one comes to you and asks about volume control you can tell about how you purchased the house so you can do what you want to biggrin.gif
post #33 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I've refrained from commenting on this until I had a chance to calm down. Most jurisdictions have sound ordinances and this could very well be a violation of the ordinance in your area. Having said that, you cannot simply claim your neighbor is violating the ordinance. You cannot simply call the local authorities with a "too loud" complaint ... it is likely the LEO (law enforcement officer) in residence will be informed before anyone comes out to investigate and if her associates don't think it is "too" loud, that will be the end of that. (BTW, if she has the same attitude as her husband, she should find other work.)

You can get an SPL meter (or get the Audio Tools App by StudioSix digital). Measure the SPL in your home when this annoyance occurs. Keep a record of the peak SPL, the date, and the time. With this documentation file a formal complaint. (The first occurance will simply result in a "don't do it again" warning to the neighbor.) Each time they repeat the noise problem, again note the peak SPL, date and time and keep filing complaints. Should this get to court, you'll likely need to have a professional verify the results ... in the end, far less expensive than the types of modifications you're planning. The fact she is an LEO works to your benefit ... she can face disciplinary action within the department should she and her husband fail to modify their behavior.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #34 of 52 Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
If his wife is a LEO, there's nothing you can do about it. My buddy has a LEO neighbor who drives four wheelers on walking/bike trails. Oddly enough the cops aren't able to do anything about it. rolleyes.gif
post #35 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Oddly enough the cops aren't able to do anything about it.
LEO's are not above the law.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #36 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

As much as I hate to say it, that is a naive statement.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #37 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 172
It's not a naive statement, IMO. The difference is that a police officer is not intimidated by your complaints. If you collect evidence and follow the procedures that lead to real enforcement, the rules work.

Regardless, a solution to this problem will not include half-measures, whether they are legal or acoustic.
post #38 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm far from a cop-hater and I didn't mean to turn this thread that way. frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Regardless, a solution to this problem will not include half-measures, whether they are legal or acoustic.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly cool.gif
post #39 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
"Invite him over and sit in the room while his system is cranked up so he can hear what it sounds like.

I'd lose it. There's no way I'd rebuild my room if it's my neighbour causing the problem. I'd fix him before I fix the room."

I agree. If he wont turn his bass down dont buy your own, obviously he likes bass. try this instead.

Get a couple of these http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-spot-flood/filter/Lumen,901,7,1000: and see if he will reason with you then.
post #40 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Print out this discussion and place in their mailbox.
post #41 of 52 Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What galaxy do you come from? Since when have LEOs not been subject to the same laws we all are?

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh9uupF06WWu97tcLT

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #42 of 52 Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

1) I wonder if your neighbor is a member here...
2) If you can't beat him - join him. Take the $ you were going to spend on fixing the room and just buy AV gear. Win-Win in my book! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan West View Post

No way I'd be spending money to soundproof because of his music.. I'd buy as many 15's as I could afford and then put a few 8" port holes in the wall of the house out towards his and let it rip...

Then tell him when he wants to talk about turning his down to come talk to you. Then once you guys work it out you can sell us the extra subs you don't need at a steep discount. biggrin.gif
I would rip out the room wall, create a massive IB installation with the drivers' rears facing directly out of the outside wall towards his house, then crank it up wink.giftongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

What galaxy do you come from? Since when have LEOs not been subject to the same laws we all are?

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh9uupF06WWu97tcLT
I think the point is that LEOs shouldn't be above the law, but it is strange how some things get 'overlooked' by those working in the same organisation who should uphold the law equally against all people... I guess some are more 'equal' than others, as the saying goes. rolleyes.gif
post #43 of 52 Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just 1 story in a million and I will leave this alone.
A long time veteran of the force showed up for work intoxicated. No one said anything to him. He went out and wrecked his cruiser. They did the mandatory toxicology and found alcohol and cocaine in his system. All they did was transfer him to another dept. No prosecution. No termination. Just gave him a different job. This happened in Philadelphia and the last time I checked that is in the same galaxy. eek.gif

post #44 of 52 Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Liked: 22
We all know that it's the neighbor that should be doing the soundproofing, not you. But clearly, from the way this situation seems to be playing out, what SHOULD happen, and what WILL happen, are 2 VERY different things.

Ya know, if someone broke into his house and stole or ruined his sub - your problem would go away.

I'm sure the wife has made several enemies in her career, I wonder how much money, I mean convincing, it would take for 1 of them to help you out LOL

jk - obviously don't do anything stupid like that - but it is fun to daydream at times tho - isn't it LOL
post #45 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Here is an update on the situation..

I'm now ready to fight!

I went to go talk to my neighbours 4 times so far and today was the last time. I also sent the guy 3-4 emails. Everytime I am very polite and I explain my situation. I gave him the opportunity to come inside my house and listen to his bass. He denied every single time. I don't understand why ? I guess he knows he's causing me trouble and if he comes inside my house he will look stupid because his bass is going to be loud!

Funny thing is I was talking with the guy and he says what's the problem, do you spend all your time in that room ? First of all, I can spend how much time as I want in that room, it's my freaking house.. But yeah I spend lots of time there, it's the playroom for my 1 year old daughter... But lately we go downstairs because during the day we only hear his damn bass..

Anyway, his policeman wife come and basically tells me that she can do whatever she wants because it's her house and tell me that she wont stop playing the bass.

So now i'm just pissed and I called the police station to get more information on the law.. And here is the LAW.. PLAIN AND SIMPLE..

"It is prohibited to use a sound system if it can be heard outside the building in which it is located."

The guy I talked to on the phone said to call every single time I hear his bass and they will send a police car.. If they can hear his sound system from outside, it will be written in a police report and they will go tell her to turn it off.

Now that the relationship with my neighbours is null, my goal is to call the cops every time I can her their bass. I'm a bit worried that it's going to be cops that knows her well that comes, but hey, if they get there and they hear the noise from outside, even if they know her, not much they can do..

I'm ready to fight guys!! I'll give you an update soon..
post #46 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds good. Good luck. Continue to be respectful and honest and I dont see how you can go wrong. It would also be helpful to record any conversations. Especially between you and the neighbor.

post #47 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
Reminds me of that movie Lakeview Terrace with Samuel l Jackson. eek.gif

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #48 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 PM

My neighbor is the best. His wall is attach to mine and he loves my sub pounding to his room . smile.gif . As above comments, I would call the police and report the problem.. He can certainly only play to some limit. He is the only one should do the soundproof. Hope that helps. I hate ****** like your neighbor , that's why a lot of ppl are crazy these days, shooting rampage...blah blah blah. People just don't know how to respect each others anymore.
post #49 of 52 Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post

My neighbor is the best. His wall is attach to mine and he loves my sub pounding to his room . smile.gif . As above comments, I would call the police and report the problem.. He can certainly only play to some limit. He is the only one should do the soundproof. Hope that helps. I hate ****** like your neighbor , that's why a lot of ppl are crazy these days, shooting rampage...blah blah blah. People just don't know how to respect each others anymore.

Tell me about it. I just had a new neighbor move in that purchased the house behind mine, and he has a dog that literally barks non stop 24/7. When approached about it, he cops an attitude. People have absolutely no respect nowadays. mad.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #50 of 52 Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Good luck with this. My inner cynic says that if she's a cop, the volume will be turned down by the time the other cops get there. rolleyes.gif
post #51 of 52 Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Whats the latest. I hope youre not in jail. tongue.gif

post #52 of 52 Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Just going to throw in my not needed 2 cents here. Fighting is never a productive answer, verbally or physically or whatever. Stay calm, stick to the facts, keep discussing the facts and only the facts with your neighbor and the authority. The sound meter and a journal sounds like a best practice to me. A video log probably wouldn't hurt either.

I speak from experience as I have an exceedingly short temper and have many run ins with people because I couldn't keep my emotions out of it. I ended up paying a price for every single one of those encounters.

Good luck.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page