green glue question please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have a question about green glue i have a home theater room in my basement that is i will finish..the 1 wall is on the exterior wall and the back wall is on the exterior wall as well..,then the other wall is in the middle of the basement..(interior wall)
i know i will put in 2 sheets of 5/8 drywall with 2 tubes of green glue in between the interior wall.. but on the walls that are on the exterrior side do i still need to put green glue inbetween the 2 sheets of 5/8 drywall?
and of course i will do the ceiling i will put green glue on the studs then put the first sheet of drywall then green glue then the other sheet of drywall..do i need to put the green glue on the studs for the first drywall sheet? or can i just put the sheet of drywall to the stud without green glue?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
You should do two sheets of drywall with Green Glue on ALL of the walls and ceiling. If not, sound will simply flank in and out of your untreated walls.

Don't put Green Glue on any of the studs, floor or ceiling. It is a product designed to be placed between two large surfaces, not on 1.5 inch pieces of wood. Save your money.

Have you thought about decoupling your drywall from the structure of the house? This can be easily done by building your exterior stud walls an inch or two off of the foundation wall. For the interior walls either build a double stud wall or use isolation clips and hat channel. For the ceiling, use isolation clips and hat channel. If you are going through the efforts to use double drywall and Green Glue, decoupling is a great way to improve your isolation without too much added cost.

Also, have you planned on a way to isolate the HVAC system for this room? What about sealing penetrations for electrical outlets and lights? And of course don't forget a heavy solid core door with good seals all the way around.

If you haven't already, stop by the Soundproofing Company website to learn a bunch.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

You should do two sheets of drywall with Green Glue on ALL of the walls and ceiling. If not, sound will simply flank in and out of your untreated walls.

Don't put Green Glue on any of the studs, floor or ceiling. It is a product designed to be placed between two large surfaces, not on 1.5 inch pieces of wood. Save your money.

Have you thought about decoupling your drywall from the structure of the house? This can be easily done by building your exterior stud walls an inch or two off of the foundation wall. For the interior walls either build a double stud wall or use isolation clips and hat channel. For the ceiling, use isolation clips and hat channel. If you are going through the efforts to use double drywall and Green Glue, decoupling is a great way to improve your isolation without too much added cost.

Also, have you planned on a way to isolate the HVAC system for this room? What about sealing penetrations for electrical outlets and lights? And of course don't forget a heavy solid core door with good seals all the way around.

If you haven't already, stop by the Soundproofing Company website to learn a bunch.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/

ok thanks but if i use green glue is a double stud wall or use isolation clips and hat channel. For the ceiling, use isolation clips and hat channel really needed? i would like to do on a budget..
thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
There are four elements to soundproofing; decoupling, insulation, mass, and damping. Mass is covered by two layers of drywall, insulation should be pink fluffy fiberglass insulation, and Green Glue is the damping agent. Decoupling provides a physical separation between both sides of your walls and ceiling. Sound likes to travel through solid surfaces by vibrations, so by splitting up the connection between two sides of a wall you remove that path.

All four of the elements of soundproofing work best when employed together. Decoupling really only requires some extra 2x4s for double walls and isolation clips and channel for the ceiling. Depending on the size of your room and which clips you buy, it won't add much to the cost; perhaps a few hundred dollars, which is well worth the investment for increased performance.

Give Ted and John a call at The Soundproofing Company. They'll treat you right and help you make a plan for your budget.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #5 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

There are four elements to soundproofing; decoupling, insulation, mass, and damping. Mass is covered by two layers of drywall, insulation should be pink fluffy fiberglass insulation, and Green Glue is the damping agent. Decoupling provides a physical separation between both sides of your walls and ceiling. Sound likes to travel through solid surfaces by vibrations, so by splitting up the connection between two sides of a wall you remove that path.

All four of the elements of soundproofing work best when employed together. Decoupling really only requires some extra 2x4s for double walls and isolation clips and channel for the ceiling. Depending on the size of your room and which clips you buy, it won't add much to the cost; perhaps a few hundred dollars, which is well worth the investment for increased performance.

Give Ted and John a call at The Soundproofing Company. They'll treat you right and help you make a plan for your budget.
+1. Very well said Austin.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page