AV Rack in fusebox closet ? good or bad idea - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys running out of room to look for a dedicated room space for AV rack .. I was think of putting a 27U rack in the same closet as where my fuse boxes are stored.. would I run into any interference or noise from electrical? Please share your thoughts.

20130225_213439.jpg 2268k .jpg file

I also have 2 more panels going in 1 switch for generator and panel for basement..

Every other wall is flushed with no other obstructions.. plain flat wall... sorry for bad lighting and pictures..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130225_213439.jpg (2.22 MB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I don't think you would have any electrical interference or noise: you certainly would have plenty of power available!

but there are electrical code clearance requirements you have to maintain for access to electrical panels

also not sure about proximity of rack to window: if window is open or broken, it could expose rack to rain or other damaging elements

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Doesn't look like it will fit. You should have 36" clear in front of the panelboard.

Tim
post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
+1 check codes for clearance to the sides and in front of a breaker box. Not sure if that closet is large enough for the breaker box, without the rack. I think it's thirty six inches in front of the panel and thirty inches side to side. It does not need to be centered in the thirty inch side to side space.

The AHJ would say no to a rack in the same closet as a breaker box, if the clearances are not met.

But, I have a similar issue with my mechanical room - not quite to code, with a sub panel breaker box near my rack, but it's almost enough space. Because it's close, I'm going to great lengths to make the rack mobile, with quick disconnect patches for all incoming cables. For speaker wires, I am planning on using Neutrik SpeakOn connectors.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking the one with the rollers, so I can roll the rack out when needed.. all speaker wire will be banana plugged..
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Doesn't look like it will fit. You should have 36" clear in front of the panelboard.

Tim

Residential requirements may be different than that of industrial (where I am more experienced) but the 36" requirement is only for objects that are ungrounded (like a stack of cardboard boxes). A grounded object needs 42" and if the object is another electrical panel the requirement is 48". I would think a rack of electronic gear would substantiate at least 42" of required service space.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page