Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Update on progress:
-Got that stupid HVAC thing moved, as I mentioned.
-Bought and put up an electrical sub-panel.
-got the entire non-theater portion of the basement rough-in wired.
-Got some Carlon adjustable gang boxes ordered from Amazon (again, stupid Canada and it's inability to carry specialized products...)
-Plumber friend came over today to look at the hot water heater and the random gas line running across my theater room. Got our plans together to get both of those moved appropriately.

Lesson of the day: do not use recycled electrical wire. I had torn down the circuit the builder put in to light the undeveloped basement, and used one of the runs of torn-down wire to re-wire that circuit as it fits in my plans. This circuit did and does contain the 3-way switch for my stair lighting (and the hot water tank plug in...). Well after I got it all hooked up, I flipped the breaker, and it tripped immediately. Tried again, same thing. I figured I wired the 3-way wrong. Went through all of it again, same result. I went back to the fixture before the light (smoke detector), unhooked the wire going from it to the 3-way. Same result. Went back one more (HWT plug), did the same thing, and it worked. I looked at the back of the plug, and it had a little piece of wire still stuck in the back hole where you can hook wires up to (not the screw attachment point). After pissing around with that for 30 minutes, I still couldn't get it. It was 9:00 last night, I gave up, went to shower up.
Once I got in the shower, I realized that the HWT tank had been off for the past 3 hours.... Pissed around with things for a bit more, plugged the tank into an extension cord, went to bed. Knew at that point in time It was either that plug or the wire from the plug to the smoke detector that was shorting.
This morning I went out and bought another plug receptacle. Swapped it out. Still shorted. So i ripped down the wire, replaced it with new, and BRAVO, it worked. Re-hooked up everything I tore apart last night, and sure enough the 3-way was wired wrong, played around with that for a bit, and now it works properly.
Looks like I'm now paying for everything going so smoothly the first week... I guess this is more like reality than last week though.

Anyways, next up:
-Rough-wire the theater room, sans gang boxes.
-HVAC.
-Vacuflow rough-in
-Move some bathroom drains, do the bathroom water rough-ins.
After that, I should be ready for all my rough-in inspections. I imagine that is still about 2 weeks away. Have to go back to work starting on Monday.... That's gonna suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Gotcha,

I was mainly speaking of the sub, not the mains and surrounds. Klipsch are excellent speakers, I did no want you to think I was bashing your choice, in fact it's not like that at all. Was just trying to make you aware of other options.

While I knew you were in Canada, I had forgotten how difficult (or expensive) it can be for you to get things from your friends here in the south. Oh, and what do you mean "real beer". The maple syrup, I'll give you that, but might just have to call you out on the beer comment. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Gotcha,

I was mainly speaking of the sub, not the mains and surrounds. Klipsch are excellent speakers, I did no want you to think I was bashing your choice, in fact it's not like that at all. Was just trying to make you aware of other options.

While I knew you were in Canada, I had forgotten how difficult (or expensive) it can be for you to get things from your friends here in the south. Oh, and what do you mean "real beer". The maple syrup, I'll give you that, but might just have to call you out on the beer comment. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Definitely appreciate any and all comments. When the time comes, I will do some comparisons of subs and see what else is out there at comparable prices, maybe see if DB is carrying any different lines at that time.

5% alcohol content as the standard is what I meant. No question, there are lots of good craft beers out of pretty much everywhere (although I have to say Alberta dn BC put out some pretty good stuff... maybe that's just because we have lots of it available where I am), but the mass-market beer is definitely better up here. Not Canadian (that's moose piss), but Kokanee, Keith's, etc are much better than Bud. Although, I will say that the good ole US of A does have original Coors, which I buy every single time I am down there. We have Coors Light here. Why would we not have Coors. I don't get it.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I've been working lots, and lots has been done, but it doesn't really look like much. Just been continuing on with the rough-in electrical.
I'm waiting for some adjustable gang boxes to arrive before I can wire the plugs in the theater room. Also need to run 3 more circuits. Pretty sure I'm going to get weird looks from the inspector with how many single-fixture circuits I have run in the basement: Beverage Center, Steam Shower, AV Rack 1, AV Rack 2, Projector, Sub-woofer.
Some pictures for the sake of showing pictures:

Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks good. Don't worry about the inspector, a $50 or two, or a case of his favorite adult beverage can erase a multitude of sins. Just kidding of course. I'm sure once you explain what you are doing they will understand what your are trying to do.

Thanks for the pics, those of us that are addicted thank you.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow you're moving along quickly. I'm looking forward to following along. Did't realize you lived so close.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

Wow you're moving along quickly. I'm looking forward to following along. Did't realize you lived so close.

I fully expect the progress to come to a screeching halt... Not nearly enough time after work to get any real work done on the weekdays.
Yup, I'm in Summit of Montreaux, backing onto the south side of 17th.

Tonight... Off to pick up some MDF, to start building some backer boxes. I guess I should also pick out some pot lights... In reality, I need to pick up a couple sheets of drywall, so the hot water tank can get moved on Saturday.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM

I completly understand how progress can take a hit at times. I have a 2 year old so can't get down there in the week and am lucky to get one day on the weekend where I can work. If spring ever decided to come I have some work to do in the yards as well which is also going to take more time away fom the basement. I think I'm on a 3 year plan now.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pretty good progress in the salt mines tonight. Got some drywall up in the future home of my hot water tank:

Got a bulkhead built around that pesky HVAC duct I moved to the bedroom:

and Started building the bulkhead in the theater room:

No, it doesn't touch anything. If you are wondering why I built it so bulky... I'm using leftovers from framing.

Still have to build a bulkhead the rest of the way along the inside theater wall, solely for the purpose of decoupling it from the beam. I will use the same methodology I used for the portion that is already up, but will use a 2x3 base rather than a 2x6 base. In the end, It will be the start of my soffit that houses the rope lights, and also the heat vents (but maybe just on the other side.... we'll see.

Time for bed.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another good day:
Worked out
Bought a bathroom fan and a couple other things
Got a massage
Going to bed.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Real progress to report this time.
Worked a bunch Friday night, and pretty much all day on Saturday.
Friday night, I got the bathroom fan installed, and the bulkhead around the fan exhaust built.

Also got a bit of the vacuflow lines run. I have to wait for AC install before I can finish it off.

Then I spent a bit of time preparing for the big hot water tank move on Saturday. Friend came over Saturday morning and we (well, mostly he) moved the HWT, and also the pesky gas line in the theater room. While he was doing that, I was able to get the rest of the bulkhead built in the theater room, and got some blocking done in the bedroom.
Entry to the utility room (no more tank in the way)

Inside the utility room:

Bedroom blocking

Theater room: no more gas line, and bulkhead built

View of entire theater room from the front

You will also notice that I now have a table saw down there. A friend dropped it off today, mine to use for as long as I like!
Yesterday, we also went to check out some tile. I THINK this is what we are set on.. for the time being.
Shower walls and seat are the big one underneath, and ceiling and floor are the little ones on top:

Close up of little ones:

The counter top is what we currently have upstairs. I think we are going to go with the opposite of that (dark with while flecks) for the counters downstairs, with a creamy white cabinet. Above the bar counter top, we are going to have 7' wide by about 5' high of this stone, with shelves hung to house booze and glasses. The one on the right.

Tomorrow... tomorrow perhaps I will start to frame up a shower base. I have some blocking to do in the hallway still, but I am out of cut-off pieces of lumber. So I want to frame something else first rather than waste good lumber. I think that's about all that I have left to do on the framing side of things. Other than the stage and riser, but I need drywall in first.
Also have to get back to wiring the theater room. Still waiting on the adjustable gang boxes to arrive, but I can rough-in all the lights, and start building backer boxes.

Questions for those who made it this far:
-if you installed dricore, did you put the riser on top of the dricore or not? Remember, mine doesn't just take up the back X feet of the room.
-Backer box material: SPC recommends MDF and cement board as materials. I don't want to have to buy a blade to cut cement board only for this. 2 layers of MDF OK?
-I want to put rope light around the soffit, connected to the grafik eye. How do you wire this? A switched plug-in in the soffit that goes to the GE? Rope lights aren't hard wired, are they?

That's all for now. More tomorrow I imagine.

Steve
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM

You're making great progress.

I put my riser on the cement but that's because it covers the back half of the theater. I didn't want to have such a big area covered by dri-core that would not be serving any purpose. It also saved a bunch of money to do it that way. I did put my stage on the dri-core. For your situation I think you could do it either way and be fine.

I built backer boxes for my speakers and some pot lights. The speaker ones were built with 3/4 OSB and 3/4 MDF. The ones for the lights are just a single layer of MDF. I probably should have used 2 layers but I was restricted in height or width in a lot of places. I think BIG has used a material like Hardi board as the second layer.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko View Post

Another good day:
Worked out
Bought a bathroom fan and a couple other things
Got a massage
Going to bed.

So was it a good day because there wasn't theater progress or was it a good day because you got to prep for theater progress, or was it a good day just because it was a good day? biggrin.gif

I used a product called platon. It is a dimpled membrane where you lay it down and then put OSB over it. Much like a DIY Dricore actually. I covered my entire basement (except the storage area) with it and then built everything on top of it. You might save yourself some money if you just place the riser on the bare concrete floor, just remember to use treated lumber if directly in contact with the floor.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So was it a good day because there wasn't theater progress or was it a good day because you got to prep for theater progress, or was it a good day just because it was a good day? biggrin.gif

I used a product called platon. It is a dimpled membrane where you lay it down and then put OSB over it. Much like a DIY Dricore actually. I covered my entire basement (except the storage area) with it and then built everything on top of it. You might save yourself some money if you just place the riser on the bare concrete floor, just remember to use treated lumber if directly in contact with the floor.

Regards,

RTROSE

What do you mean no progress? I bought a fan!
It was a good day because it was a good day.
Interesting about the Platon. i could see that being incredibly convenient in a nice rectangular room, but would start to suck once you start having to make a bunch of intricate cuts. I'll have to figure out how much of a pain and a cost savings it would be to no go under the riser....
Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're making great progress.

I put my riser on the cement but that's because it covers the back half of the theater. I didn't want to have such a big area covered by dri-core that would not be serving any purpose. It also saved a bunch of money to do it that way. I did put my stage on the dri-core. For your situation I think you could do it either way and be fine.

I built backer boxes for my speakers and some pot lights. The speaker ones were built with 3/4 OSB and 3/4 MDF. The ones for the lights are just a single layer of MDF. I probably should have used 2 layers but I was restricted in height or width in a lot of places. I think BIG has used a material like Hardi board as the second layer.

I think I'll do 2 layers of MDF. Seems easy that way, and sounds like it will work just fine.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I ALMOST got a bunch done on Sunday....

Finished Saturday night by making the decision that I was going to bust up my bathroom floor, to get all the rough-ins where I need them. Can't do anything in there until that is done after all.
Marked everything up (several times), and started jack hammering away. Lucky for me, I found the main line right between my shower drain and the bar drain will go, so that will be easy to tie in.

The vanity drain is in the right place, so I don't have to move that. Just have to move the toilet over about 16". Easy!

oh wait, whats that? weeping tile right where I need to put the toilet? yup, sure is. Well, eff. Now i'm left with a busted up bathroom, and I have to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to lay out this stupid bathroom, so that it works with where I can put the rough-ins.

After some deliberations with the wife, came up with 2 ideas:

Going to think about it before I bust up any more concrete, but I think we are going to go with Option #2. In case you were wondering, our initial plan looked a lot like #1, but with the sink and toilet swapped.

The good news is that I got my adjustable gang boxes in today, so I can get back to wiring in the theater room.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Nice work. I didn't have as much to do as you but I still found extending the shower drain a pain in the ass.

Quick question, where did you get the tile you are using for the shower floor?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd vote for option #1, but that is only based on that I like a bigger vanity and not having a big space to the side of the toilet. Also I would make the shower door swing the other way in either plan as it would make it easier to reach out and grab a towel off the rack that will undoubtedly put on the opposite wall from the sink.

Looks like good progress and glad you had a good day because it was a good day.

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice work. I didn't have as much to do as you but I still found extending the shower drain a pain in the ass.

Quick question, where did you get the tile you are using for the shower floor?

Daltile, located just off Ogden. The tile is extra grippy, intended for shower bases..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd vote for option #1, but that is only based on that I like a bigger vanity and not having a big space to the side of the toilet. Also I would make the shower door swing the other way in either plan as it would make it easier to reach out and grab a towel off the rack that will undoubtedly put on the opposite wall from the sink.

Looks like good progress and glad you had a good day because it was a good day.

Regards,

RTROSE

That's a good idea, I'm going to play around with that a bit.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 10
Excellent thread, nice and detailed with lots of pics.

Subscribed!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank ya!
Question time.. I went to install my theater room outlets, and I came away with lots of questions. Several of them I think I answered with simple google searches.
-no, I don't need to ground a plastic box
-no, I don't need to clamp the wires coming into a plastic box

But still 2 questions remain:
-I've got the adjustable single gang carlon blue plastic boxes. I can adjust them, which is good. To my calcs, I need 1/2" + 5/8" for the drywalls, plus 1" for the sound treatment. Just over 2". The box does this, but it seems unstable when its out that far. Has anyone else used them this way, that can comment on how they work when out all the way?
-putty pads. I need to get them on before the drywall obviously. Should I have the boxes all the way extended now, when I put on the putty pads? Otherwise, I feel like it would get ripped off when I adjust them out after the drywall goes up. Has anyone out there used these boxes with putty pads?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Adjust them out for the drywall only, then use additional box extenders for the last 1 inch when the time comes. Put the putty pads on to an imaginary line where the back of the drywall will sit.

I like these:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/arlington-industries/recessed-electric-box-extender.html
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Adjust them out for the drywall only, then use additional box extenders for the last 1 inch when the time comes. Put the putty pads on to an imaginary line where the back of the drywall will sit.

I like these:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/arlington-industries/recessed-electric-box-extender.html

Awesome, thanks. Do you tend to put the putty pad on the box, then mount it, or vice versa? Instructions aren't that clear, but I imagine if you want the pad all the way around the box, you'd have to do it before...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
I mount then putty, If I have access to the rear I will often use old work boxes then you can get better putty coverage.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sounds good. The vapor barrier hats on the exterior walls are going to make this a pain, but I'll make it work somehow.
Much appreciated!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm mentally planning my low voltage runs, just want to see if I'm forgetting anything:
-1 Cat5e and 1 coax from distribution panel to "spare room" at the bottom of my plan
-1 cat5e and 1 coax from distribution panel to the top of bedroom, same to bottom of bedroom.
-6 cat5E from distribution panel to AV rack
-4 coax from distribution panel to AV rack
-2 cat5e and 2 coax from AV rack to behind screen
-2 cat5e and 1HDMI from AV rack to projector (in conduit)
-2 cat5e from AV rack to riser
-7 speaker wire from AV rack, 1 to each speaker location
-2 digital coax from AV rack to behind screen for subs
-2 USB from AV rack to stage (do i do this via cat5e?)

Am I missing anything? AV rack to PJ will be the only conduit I will run, I think.

If you are wondering why cat5e and not cat6... It's because monoprice accidentally delivered 1000' of Cat5e to me in a prior order I had with them.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM

I ran 1 USB from my equipment room to the stage. I did it with a 25 or 30 foot long USB from monoprice.

I'd think about running one conduit from the rack to behind the false wall that way if any of these new configurations really take off its easy to adopt. I didn't run one and am now thinking I should have as ill probably have to run speaker wire behind the acoustic panels if I need to add more.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I was thinking I should run a USB or 2 as well to the riser. Can you run it over cat5e, or do you need to run an actual USB? I assume you can get nice mounting plates for it...