Building the Summit Theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 208 Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking pretty slick all around. I love the bar in the back.

My First Build Ever (which just so happens to be a theater!) (In progress)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482020/my-first-build-ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks!
Quick update. Theater ceiling painted black again (along with some of the remaining exposed wood that needed painted black, such as the screen frame), flooring in the rest of the basement done, baseboards done.
I am going to buy the wood for the light trey this morning, then more or less taking the rest of the weekend off. I will get that painted and put up some time next week, and hopefully the rope lights show up so I can get that installed as well and tested out.
GOM showed up yesterday. Added it to the pile of stuff in my living room.
I guess I need to start thinking about constructing my fabric frames now, and getting all the low voltage stuff terminated and electronics installed.
And I guess I should order my screen soon.
post #183 of 208 Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #184 of 208 Old 05-29-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko View Post

Thanks!
Quick update. Theater ceiling painted black again (along with some of the remaining exposed wood that needed painted black, such as the screen frame), flooring in the rest of the basement done, baseboards done.
I am going to buy the wood for the light trey this morning, then more or less taking the rest of the weekend off. I will get that painted and put up some time next week, and hopefully the rope lights show up so I can get that installed as well and tested out.
GOM showed up yesterday. Added it to the pile of stuff in my living room.
I guess I need to start thinking about constructing my fabric frames now, and getting all the low voltage stuff terminated and electronics installed.
And I guess I should order my screen soon.
You built everything else why not build your screen like I did. I used Seymour Center Stage material on a 126"x64 inch frame. Chris and Jon are great to work with I have about $550 in the screen cut on a 15 degree angle with grommets installed and the bands. I built the frame from left over wood and hung it on my BigmouthinDC approved minimalist wall. Check my signature
Quote:

!!
Whats this???

Kitty likes biggrin.gif
post #185 of 208 Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did you find any Canadian suppliers or have you found that you have to order most things out of the USA?
Looking Good!
post #186 of 208 Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

You built everything else why not build your screen like I did. I used Seymour Center Stage material on a 126"x64 inch frame. Chris and Jon are great to work with I have about $550 in the screen cut on a 15 degree angle with grommets installed and the bands. I built the frame from left over wood and hung it on my BigmouthinDC approved minimalist wall. Check my signature
Kitty likes biggrin.gif

That's a great screen! I think I would consider doing it that way, if I lived in the states... Shipping to Canada strikes, once again.
I built my screen last build (non AT), and it worked great. But i got absolutely hosed on shipping the triple crush black velvet to Canada (from the same place you got yours). Shockingly, there is no Canadian supplier. Once I combine the shipping costs for the screen materials plus the velvet for the border, I'm not actually saving that much over just buying the package from Seymour.
That, and I'm getting tired of building things. I just want to enjoy now!
post #187 of 208 Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post

Did you find any Canadian suppliers or have you found that you have to order most things out of the USA?
Looking Good!

Very few Canadian suppliers.
-I used monoprice for as many things as I possibly could. Even though they are from the US, their shipping is super reasonable. And if you choose USPS, you hardly ever get dinged at the border.
-I am going to be getting my subs from a shop out of Toronto. Shipping is reasonable, and the price of the Subs are the same as in the US.
-Had to get my GOM out of the states. There are many places that supply it, each has their own combination of product/shipping charges. Price them all up, see which one works best for your particular quantity. Got absolutely bent over on the border costs when the GOM got to my house. Something like a total $375 shipping/duty costs for $650 worth of product.
-All soundproofing stuff ordered directly from the soundproofing company. If you order it all at once, they ship it on a pallet, and the shipping isn't that unreasonable. I don't think i paid any additional customs on that,
-All other building material supplied locally.
-Most other electronics purchased through DirectBuy.

ps, I decided on using dual SVS PB-2000 subs. Those should work juuuuuust fine, me thinks. Seems like many other people who have klipsch speakers have paired it with the SVS products.
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/dual-subwoofers/dual-pb-2000#.U4dlP3ZCwsk
post #188 of 208 Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Very few Canadian suppliers.
-I used monoprice for as many things as I possibly could. Even though they are from the US, their shipping is super reasonable. And if you choose USPS, you hardly ever get dinged at the border.

There is an option for USPS on Monoprice?
Last time I ordered from them it shipped will DHL and that was a total gong show.
Two can't find address then I finally just went and got it from the Depot after they found it.
post #189 of 208 Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post

There is an option for USPS on Monoprice?
Last time I ordered from them it shipped will DHL and that was a total gong show.
Two can't find address then I finally just went and got it from the Depot after they found it.

Historically there always has been. Haven't ordered anything too recently, but I will find out soon I suppose.
post #190 of 208 Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I learned something yesterday; red rope light does not project onto a black soffit.

In other news, I re-painted my soffits red last night!! Also have all of the trim and light trey pieces painted up, will install today (if I can duck out of work early enough) or this weekend.
Basement397.jpg

Basement398.jpg

Basement399.jpg

I think i like them better red anyways...

Also, ordering the subwoofers today. Should take about a week to get here. Dual SVS PB-2000s.

Carpet should be getting installed next week sometime. Exciting!
post #191 of 208 Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:

I learned something yesterday; red rope light does not project onto a black soffit.

Your red rope doesn't, this is a black ceiling:

post #192 of 208 Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know, right?!
That's exactly why I thought it would be fine. I got the 1000 bulbs rope light that seems to be popular on here, maybe the paint I used is different?
In any case, I am happy with the final product having the red soffit, so no harm no foul.
One of the rope lights they shipped was the wrong one though, so I only have 1 side up. Will have to get the other side up when the replacement gets here.

Carpet is set for install on Friday. And couches are being delivered the following week. Subs should arrive late this week as well. It's slowly all coming together.
post #193 of 208 Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question regarding the putty on electrical boxes.... Did you nail in the boxes then put the putty around the boxes or are you only using the putty to hold the boxes to the wall?

I see you are making sound isolation a priority in your room, as well as absortion, and I am in the planning phase of designing my own home theater. I care more about absortion than isolation as this will be in the basement, as yours is, and my bedrooms are on the second floor so there is an empty floor between. How much more money would you estimate that you spent to add the sound isolation over than just sound absortion and a normal-type room, withough isolation properties?

As someone who isn't very handy looking at designing a basement with a HT and wondering what I can do compared to what I should hire out these threads are inspiring!
post #194 of 208 Old 06-04-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatogod93 View Post

Question regarding the putty on electrical boxes.... Did you nail in the boxes then put the putty around the boxes or are you only using the putty to hold the boxes to the wall?

I see you are making sound isolation a priority in your room, as well as absortion, and I am in the planning phase of designing my own home theater. I care more about absortion than isolation as this will be in the basement, as yours is, and my bedrooms are on the second floor so there is an empty floor between. How much more money would you estimate that you spent to add the sound isolation over than just sound absortion and a normal-type room, withough isolation properties?

As someone who isn't very handy looking at designing a basement with a HT and wondering what I can do compared to what I should hire out these threads are inspiring!

Secured the box to the stud, then wrapped in putty.

I haven't totaled everything up yet, but I would probably say it would be about 3-4K extra for isolation, and maybe 2K extra for adsorption. That being said, my adsorption certainly isn't going to be as elaborate as many others on here. It appears to me that if you add diffusion to the frey, that adds up fairly quickly, simply because you are then relying on fabricated pieces rather than DIY. If I was doing it all over again though, I would have a larger basement and do a complete room within a room. Even though I have putty pads and backer boxes etc, every hole poked through the wall is a potential leak spot.

One thing to consider with the isolation though is that you aren't only keeping sound in, you are also keeping sound out. Nothing more annoying than hearing the dishwasher draining while you are watching a movie, or hearing water going through pipes, or hearing someone walking upstairs. Most of this stuff can be alleviated simply by stuffing every single wall and ceiling cavity with pink insulation though.
post #195 of 208 Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 104
yea man I agree I have my Daughter's family living with us now we have a great room that has 13' ceiling compared to the rest of the house with 9'. Over the kitchen is a bath room the plumbing is in the wall seperating the kitchen and the great room. When the kids are getting ready to go to bed the noise from the water running and draining flushing etc makes it a pain to watch TV. I should have wrapped those pipes and insulated that wall. mad.gif

My sound proof theater on the other had I cannot hear a thing going on outside the door LOL biggrin.gif
post #196 of 208 Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, time for another giant update. Been working on the basement on and off, had a trip to Vegas somewhere in the middle, and here's where we are at:
Theater all cleaned up and ready for carpet:

Carpet got installed when I was down in Vegas. Came back to this:

The other rope light came in while I was gone too, so my wife got that strung up for me. As pretty much everyone has said, it is incredibly difficult to accurately capture what the rope lighting really look like.

Picked up a couple of rolls of acoustic insulation (1" duct liner). First cut a ton of 2' corner pieces to build up my bass traps, then 2 layers of the insulation across the rest of the front wall.

At the same time that I was doing all of that, couches were delivered and set up .

It's starting to feel like a theater room!!!
So I figured why not move some of the speakers from the living room downstairs.

I was planning on spending the entire weekend starting to build my fabric frames, but it seems that my wife now has some different plans for me... So I may get to pick away at it a bit, but we'll see.

Projector showed up last weekend, so that's also sitting in my front room. Ordered the screen from Seymour last week; just got notification that its built, and should ship out on Monday. I should have it by the end of this coming week. That is the last major piece of equipment that I am missing, so I'll have to fight the urge to set everything up once that comes in. It's gonna be tough.
Also ordered and received a small order from Monoprice, including a PJ mount, some banana plugs, etc.
post #197 of 208 Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First couple panels built and installed. Here's a walk-thru:
Step 1: rip all of my scrap 1/2" plywood and mdf into 2" strips

Step 2: cut 2 pieces of plywood to panel height, cut 2 pieces of MDF to panel width

Step 3: Put some wood glue on the corners. Place PDF on top of Plywood, put 1 nail on each corner.

Step 4: Using a corner square, square up the frame, and put a couple more nails in.

Step 5: Cut MDF to fit inside gaps on the top. Glue, nail.

Step 6: Repeat for Plywood on bottom.
No picture. Just imagine it.

Step 7: Router a 45 corner on the MDF all the way around the frame.
Forgot to take a picture, but you can see the result in other pics.

Step 8: Paint the face black

Step 9: cut insulation (you can see routered edge here)

Step 10: Wrap in fabric

Step 11: Attach to wall with brad nails

Step 12: Repeat x 50

Yup, this is going to take a while.
post #198 of 208 Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 AM

Great job, its really coming together.
What insulation did you use?
Are they all for acoustics?
post #199 of 208 Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Great job, its really coming together.
What insulation did you use?
Are they all for acoustics?
I'm using 1" Owens Corning QuietR Rotary Duct Liner. It's got the same overall NRC as OC 701, but a slightly different curve. Better on the high end, not as good on the low end:
http://commercial.owenscorning.com/a...e14d7284d7.pdf

125hz 250hz 500hz 1000hz 2000hz 4000hz NRC
QuietR 0.05 0.30 0.60 0.87 0.98 1.05 0.70
OC 701 0.17 0.33 0.64 0.83 0.90 0.92 0.70

Why QuietR Duct Liner? Simply because that's what I could get my hands on. Getting stuff shipped here (as I've said many many many times) is cost prohibitive. I've got a cousin who is in the HVAC business, so I was able to order this through him. I couldn't get many other products because they aren't stocked at the distributor warehouses, and they wont bring in that small of a quantity for special order.
Front wall has 2" of the duct liner. Front corners have bass traps. Bottom 2' of all other walls will be treated, and main first reflection points will be treated to ceiling. Other panels will remain untreated.

Last edited by sgolko; 06-16-2014 at 08:55 AM.
post #200 of 208 Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #201 of 208 Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Worked on the theater pretty much the entire weekend. Got a lot done!
As shown above, I got the projector hung. Also got the screen in on Friday, got it assembled while I was waiting for some paint on my frames to dry, and got it hung. I must say, the Seymour system is super easy to put together, and works really well!

Also finished off all of the lower panels (black) all the way around the room. Time consuming stuff.

Got my surrounds hung and hooked up as well.

I didn't take any pictures, but you can kind of see it in the above picture; I got all of the panels along the bottom of the soffit done as well. For those, I took 1/2" plywood cut to size, and used a jig saw to cut holes in it. Same as many other people have done. Then wrapped in fabric, and installed. Looks pretty swell. I'll have to get a picture of it next time I am snapping photos.

Also built and wrapped my first red panel, just because I wanted to see how it would look.

Probably not alot going to get done in the next little bit. I have to work this week, then off for vacation for a week. Once I get back, it's right into the Calgary Stampede, so I'm guessing not alot will get done then....

ps. I watched a couple episodes of The Pacific yesterday.. WOW. I'm happy with how things are turning out. More importantly, so is my wife!
post #202 of 208 Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Back from vacation, and I spent all day Sunday working in the basement. I even managed to keep the projector off all day!
Basically worked on getting another set of panels built. Here's some iPhone pics:

Colors are a bit off, not surprisingly. I think I got 6 panels up, with another 4 built but not wrapped. I ran out of staples (5000 used so far) so I need to make a trip to HD.
Also got 5 of the 6 sconces put up, and tested them out. They appear to work just fine.
Looks like it's going to take another couple weekends to get all of the panels built and installed, then I can start thinking about building the surround speaker covers for the columns.
post #203 of 208 Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Love the red. Sort of intense overwhelming but cool.
post #204 of 208 Old 08-24-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been pretty tardy in posting my updates. It seems summer has taken over progress.
But I'll update what HAS been done. Here goes:

Make some more red panels, but then ran out of fabric. Had to order some more, and it just arrived.

My dad finished making the AV Rack, and brought it down to Calgary. I stained it, and brought it downstairs. It's basically just a simple rack, middle shelf is fixed. The other 6 are adjustable.

In it's home:

Also got all of my Cat5 and COAX terminated at the wall and in the panel. Just waiting for an Ethernet hub to arrive before I can totally finish off the panel area.
post #205 of 208 Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This weekend, I started and finished the speaker grill covers. Procedure as below:
-Cut 2 pieces of 1/2" MDF for the top and 2 for the bottom. On one top piece and 1 bottom piece I then notched out 2 corners with a 1 1/2" square (to fit a 2x2), and in the other 2 corners, I drilled out a 3/4" hole. It is fairly important to make sure that the hole is a bit further in than 3/8" (half of 3/4"), so that the edges start to come back in. Then glue/staple the 2 tops and 2 bottoms together. Round off the bottom peice so that it follows the contour of the 3/4" drill bit. They look something like this:

-Cut 2 pieces of 2x2 to 1" less than the total height between the top column and bottom column. Glue and staple to bottom MDF,

-Cut 2 pieces of 3/4" pipe (electrical conduit) to the same length as 2x2. Actually, make sure you measure the distance at the outer edge of the column. This measurement was usually different than at the wall. Fit pipe into the drilled corners, and attach the top MDF.

It's not the end of the world if the pipe kind of falls out of the corner holes.. The fabric will hold it all together.

-Wrap in black FR 701:

-Friction fit in between upper and lower columns:

post #206 of 208 Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So that brings us to where I currently sit:

Pretty much done, right? Wrong.

Left to do:
-Finish the red panels (I think there are 5 left)
-Make some kind of a door for the AV Rack. Attach panels to it.
-Make black panels to surround the screen.
post #207 of 208 Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
boy that evokes the feel of the bacon race theater quite nicely.
post #208 of 208 Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
boy that evokes the feel of the bacon race theater quite nicely.
Well then, mission accomplished!
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page