Riser step - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm currently working on a riser in my basement theater room. Due to lack of ceiling height it is a 2x4 on edge with 3/4" plywood decking.The main area where you would step up is fine and I will do bull nose overhang and have the carpet tucked around the overhang. I'm not sure what to do with the front area of the riser. There will be a cove area in the riser for a smaller sized couch with a step down on either side. Problem is due to the basement floor being pitched towards a drain that riser step has only 2" on one side & 1-3/4""of 2x4 height on the other. Do I even want to overhang the decking or would I just be creating a toe buster. If I do overhang will the carpet guy have room to wrap around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A picture might help illustrate it for us. My first thought is 4 1/4 inches of riser isn't going to be enough for your back row to see over your front row. I'm assuming you have two rows since you are building a riser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #3 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
In case you haven't stumbled across the concept when you have a headroom issue and need to raise the height of the second row, you can also add a booster riser just under the base of the seats. When standing it isn't a factor but when seated you get the benefit. Carpet to match the riser and no one will notice it. You can experiment with finding an acceptable height by putting some temporary blocks under the base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

In case you haven't stumbled across the concept when you have a headroom issue and need to raise the height of the second row, you can also add a booster riser just under the base of the seats. When standing it isn't a factor but when seated you get the benefit. Carpet to match the riser and no one will notice it. You can experiment with finding an acceptable height by putting some temporary blocks under the base.
I'll have to look at that. I guess I consider the seating in front as overflow seating. Just a low inexpensive couch. I should really mock something up just to be sure on the line of sight.
I'm mostly concerned on how to handle that step that will be about a total of 2-3/4 inches high. Do I just make it square or over hang the decking like you would for a stair tread. Or maybe make it a ramp?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
I think square is going to work the best. The carpet installer needs to get his stapler head under a lip, So any kind of really low lip will be nearly impossible to fasten.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page