1Likes

post #511 of 521 Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridulent View Post

Man, that carpet was definitely worth waiting for. It looks amazing.

Thanks! We loved it and I certainly did not want to go thru the selection process again with the better half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 521 Old 05-17-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
So......

I went through your coffered ceiling posts and see you made legs from plywood. Couldn't tell if Maple veneer plywood or if Douglas Fir. Did you make those coffer boxes out of 3/4 or 5/8's?

Looks like your channels are 16 OC with extra channel on soffit face. Essentially we are the same in regard to framing with exception I have facade side soffits while you are framed. My back and front are frame so no issue there for me..........

Well........looks like I'll be hitting you up for suggestions..............biggrin.gif
post #513 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I was playing around with my preference setting that Jeff had left me with in my minidsp. Here is what it looks like. Any thoughts or sugestions for improvement?

post #514 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

I was playing around with my preference setting that Jeff had left me with in my minidsp. Here is what it looks like. Any thoughts or sugestions for improvement?

Are your titles correct? That is only your center channel and one or both subs? That null at around 190hz is very unusual. Looks like cancellation or phasing issue. Your subs are crossed over at 80hz so that shouldn't be cancellation unless other speakers are playing too. If other speakers are playing too, check your phases on your speakers first before you do anything else. Your room is treated so I don't think it is your room but it could be as well.

Looks like you run your subs hot too! cool.gif Love it! biggrin.gif

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #515 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Are your titles correct? That is only your center channel and one or both subs? That null at around 190hz is very unusual. Looks like cancellation or phasing issue. Your subs are crossed over at 80hz so that shouldn't be cancellation unless other speakers are playing too. If other speakers are playing too, check your phases on your speakers first before you do anything else. Your room is treated so I don't think it is your room but it could be as well.

Looks like you run your subs hot too! cool.gif Love it! biggrin.gif

The titles are correct. This is center only with both subs. I am not sure what that nul at 190hz is. Anybody?

The subs are a little hot but I have a memory for reference so let's have some fun! Any other thoughts gang?
post #516 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Can you post the graph with phase showing?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #517 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I would ignore that null. You can't hear it, and I bet if you moved the mic you couldn't measure it again... or it would move frequency a little at least.

The response looks great to me.
post #518 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The titles are correct. This is center only with both subs. I am not sure what that nul at 190hz is. Anybody?

The subs are a little hot but I have a memory for reference so let's have some fun! Any other thoughts gang?

Actually, your subs are right on............................80 hz and below should be elevated + 10 db's.

Your dip between 100-110 hz is very similar to mine..........................but I don't have a huge null at around 200  hz.  I would presume room related issue..............and to be honest, as Fred mentioned, not a big issue.  If it was more broad based, then yes, an issue.....................

Looks good.................very similar to mine. 

post #519 of 521 Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is more like the FR you want.......ie. descending 10 db's to flat around 80 hz.

Here is Roger Dressler's house curve and I finally was able to implement with MiniDSP Open in source chain.

post #520 of 521 Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

It has been awhile since I have update my build thread. I have been busy with a golf tournament that my family hosts every year. I have also been busy enjoying the theater.

We had a bunch of people over to the house after the tournament and had lots of demo's for guests that had not seen the theater.

The best part of the weekend was 5 of my buddies got in the room after most people left and I played some demo movie scenes and everybody was very impressed.

Then we started listing to some music in 2.1 and that's when the fun began. We went around the room and each person named a song and we played the track. We kept going around the room for about three hours. Many of my buddies commented on hearing subtleties in songs that they thought they knew well, especially on the bass notes.....thanks Mark!

The winning track of the night was Dire Straits Sultans of Swing at reference.

The time in the room was also a great test for the soundproofing. We were in the room pretty late and driving the system hard with 2 babies sleeping down the hall. The babies slept just fine. Thanks Ted!!!

All in all we had a great night and it was rewarding to see all the hard work put to good use and enjoyment!
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #521 of 521 Old 07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post
It has been awhile since I have update my build thread. I have been busy with a golf tournament that my family hosts every year. I have also been busy enjoying the theater.

We had a bunch of people over to the house after the tournament and had lots of demo's for guests that had not seen the theater.

The best part of the weekend was 5 of my buddies got in the room after most people left and I played some demo movie scenes and everybody was very impressed.

Then we started listing to some music in 2.1 and that's when the fun began. We went around the room and each person named a song and we played the track. We kept going around the room for about three hours. Many of my buddies commented on hearing subtleties in songs that they thought they knew well, especially on the bass notes.....thanks Mark!

The winning track of the night was Dire Straits Sultans of Swing at reference.

The time in the room was also a great test for the soundproofing. We were in the room pretty late and driving the system hard with 2 babies sleeping down the hall. The babies slept just fine. Thanks Ted!!!

All in all we had a great night and it was rewarding to see all the hard work put to good use and enjoyment!
Great to hear your theater successes! You never said you were an avid golfer! Well, if you ever get to Oregon, I have access to Bandon Dunes......quite the course. I'm not as good as I used to be due to age, but can still swing a club........had a great teacher when I was young.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page