5Likes

post #541 of 542 Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
I love the idea of some wood sheet goods in the layers. Makes it so easy to hang stuff. Just curious why the OSB in walls and Ply in ceiling? Whay not all OSB or all Ply
One of the best things I did was the OSB / PW layer. It did make hanging columns, wainscot, firing strips, etc so much easier. I spoke with Ted about the trade offs and he said they were small. I did go up to 3/4" OSB and PW to close the gap some.

I used PW in the ceiling for its ability to hold screws better. Not only will PW hold screws better I also felt if I ever had an unknown moisture issue upstairs the OSB could be a problem. It was a cost savings to not use PW on the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
Are you happy with soundproofing. I'm hpoping to do my basement later this year and was considering 2x5/8 DW and 1 x OSB or Ply.
I went back and forth on to soundproof or not early in the process. We don't have kids so why do it? I am so glad that I did. We have since had guest with kids stay with us and were able to watch movies a shade under reference with the kids down the hall without waking them.

The big thing is it makes the room dead quiet. I have had guest stand by the door and open and close it and be amazed what a difference it makes.

It is one of things that requires attention to ALL of the details. If you are going to do it do it right. I had so much help from Ted White. He is awesome to work with.

We are here to help as well.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 542 Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post
One of the best things I did was the OSB / PW layer. It did make hanging columns, wainscot, firing strips, etc so much easier. I spoke with Ted about the trade offs and he said they were small. I did go up to 3/4" OSB and PW to close the gap some.

I used PW in the ceiling for its ability to hold screws better. Not only will PW hold screws better I also felt if I ever had an unknown moisture issue upstairs the OSB could be a problem. It was a cost savings to not use PW on the walls.

I went back and forth on to soundproof or not early in the process. We don't have kids so why do it? I am so glad that I did. We have since had guest with kids stay with us and were able to watch movies a shade under reference with the kids down the hall without waking them.

The big thing is it makes the room dead quiet. I have had guest stand by the door and open and close it and be amazed what a difference it makes.

It is one of things that requires attention to ALL of the details. If you are going to do it do it right. I had so much help from Ted White. He is awesome to work with.

We are here to help as well.
Thanks

Will definitely enlist some pro help with the details
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page