The Vortex Theater Build - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #271 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Nice! Carpet looks great. I think carpet has got to be the best milestone. You can finally walk around the room without shoes on. Congrats!!

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a beautiful room! Now you can mark another item on your construction plan on the first page as DONE!
post #273 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhare View Post
It's a beautiful room! Now you can mark another item on your construction plan on the first page as DONE!
Good point!!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #274 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How do you all power on/off your remote amps that don't have a 12v trigger? The buttkicker amp and the iNuke do not have 12v triggers.

Is there a good power supply that I could use that wouldn't induce a "power on thump" and wouldn't introduce noise into the system that you can recommend?

post #275 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
How do you all power on/off your remote amps that don't have a 12v trigger? The buttkicker amp and the iNuke do not have 12v triggers.

Is there a good power supply that I could use that wouldn't induce a "power on thump" and wouldn't introduce noise into the system that you can recommend?

Check this thread out Automatically Powering on Pro Amps via Relay (guide w/ pics)

That should get your amps to turn off when your avr turns off. I have three of them and they are almost the exact same configuration.

Don't worry about the thump unless you know that you will get it. I use those remote triggers on all of my pro amps including two inukes, and I do not get a thump. I was worried that my Peavy amp would thump, but fortunately it didn't .
post #276 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Check this thread out Automatically Powering on Pro Amps via Relay (guide w/ pics)

That should get your amps to turn off when your avr turns off. I have three of them and they are almost the exact same configuration.

Don't worry about the thump unless you know that you will get it. I use those remote triggers on all of my pro amps including two inukes, and I do not get a thump. I was worried that my Peavy amp would thump, but fortunately it didn't .
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

post #277 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Your room is really looking great and I must say I love your choice of carpet!

What brand and style is that? (if you don't mind me playing copycat...I live really far away and nobody will know).
post #278 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Your room is really looking great and I must say I love your choice of carpet!

What brand and style is that? (if you don't mind me playing copycat...I live really far away and nobody will know).
More than half my build is copycat of other builds here, so go for it!

It is Kane brand, "Keyhole House - Historic District" the style, the color is "Kohl".

Here is a link to all the colors they have.
Aaron Smith likes this.

post #279 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just spent an hour looking through your cool build thread man! LOVE the stage/carpet/soffits/lights (and clever PJ box too!)

Hey, 1. I got acoustic foam for the wall behind my screen. should I have gotten the linacoustic that you are using instead??
2. what colors are your walls/ ceiling please?

thanks for taking all the time to share!
post #280 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks great! Try not to lose momentum. My carpet was installed back in June and my punch list is still a mile long.
post #281 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
just spent an hour looking through your cool build thread man! LOVE the stage/carpet/soffits/lights (and clever PJ box too!)

Hey, 1. I got acoustic foam for the wall behind my screen. should I have gotten the linacoustic that you are using instead??
2. what colors are your walls/ ceiling please?

thanks for taking all the time to share!
1) I'm not really the person to ask about that, I just am mimicking what other builds have done for acoustic treatment. Better of starting a new thread about that.

2) My walls are simply flat black. I just asked for the blackest they could make it, and they mixed it up. Wasn't anything special. The ceiling swatch is posted in a previous post in this thread (look back a page or two, it will be there).

No problem, glad to help!

post #282 of 289 Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I am not sure how I just came across your build tonight - EXCELLENT JOB!!! So many things about the room and its construction to love. I'm subbed and will be following along as you cross the finish line.

Two things on your hiss issue - have you ruled out the possibility it could be a defective gain stage in the iNuke? And second, have you tried one of the devices that take the standard .477 volt RCA output from the Marantz and ramps it up to the 1.7v expected by the iNuke input via XLR? The boxes are about $50, but the fact that you were turning your Marantz gain up to +12 is clear indication to me that you are trying to drive a weak signal....which also leads to hiss. I'll be curious to know what it ends up being when you find it.
post #283 of 289 Old Today, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I had a hum (iNuke) and when I added an inexpensive surge/power conditioner from monoprice ($99) that eliminated 95% of the hum. You also need to make sure your RCA to XLR conversion is sound. I know there are two different ways to wire that conversion. Is cable TV wired into your system? I found cable to be a major sorce of hum inducer. Again a power conditioner could help that.
post #284 of 289 Old Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
I had a hum (iNuke) and when I added an inexpensive surge/power conditioner from monoprice ($99) that eliminated 95% of the hum. You also need to make sure your RCA to XLR conversion is sound. I know there are two different ways to wire that conversion. Is cable TV wired into your system? I found cable to be a major sorce of hum inducer. Again a power conditioner could help that.
I would not put an amp on a power conditioner. I use to do the very same thing until I realized that the amp was being choked out in the ULF range. My amps would go into protection mode especially in TIH and other movies that had great dynamics and strong bass. Took the amp off the power conditioner and all those issues went away. Most common thing to get rid of a hum is to ground the chassis of the amp to the chassis of the avr. In ClemsonJeeper's case, I think TMcG is right. He has the sub trim too high on his avr and is causing some issues.
post #285 of 289 Old Today, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I would not put an amp on a power conditioner. I use to do the very same thing until I realized that the amp was being choked out in the ULF range. My amps would go into protection mode especially in TIH and other movies that had great dynamics and strong bass. Took the amp off the power conditioner and all those issues went away. Most common thing to get rid of a hum is to ground the chassis of the amp to the chassis of the avr. In ClemsonJeeper's case, I think TMcG is right. He has the sub trim too high on his avr and is causing some issues.
Right right!!! When I put all the other components (AVR) on the surge protector/conditioner my hum went away. I run my iNuke on a stand alone breaker unconditioned.
post #286 of 289 Old Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Putting EVERYTHING on an isolation transformer of the appropriate size is the definitive answer to all power gremlins, but they are a bit pricey. They are the only power protection units that can handle multiple amps and a whole rack of equipment at the same time. Lots of options to try before reaching that point, though.
post #287 of 289 Unread Today, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I am not sure how I just came across your build tonight - EXCELLENT JOB!!! So many things about the room and its construction to love. I'm subbed and will be following along as you cross the finish line.

Two things on your hiss issue - have you ruled out the possibility it could be a defective gain stage in the iNuke? And second, have you tried one of the devices that take the standard .477 volt RCA output from the Marantz and ramps it up to the 1.7v expected by the iNuke input via XLR? The boxes are about $50, but the fact that you were turning your Marantz gain up to +12 is clear indication to me that you are trying to drive a weak signal....which also leads to hiss. I'll be curious to know what it ends up being when you find it.
Thanks!!

I was just putting the Marantz up to +12 to max things out. I think that might have been part of my problem. Also, I tried a CleanBox pro (I think that's what you're referring to) and it didn't really change things. Would the defective gain stage mean the iNuke is defective? How would I diagnose this?

post #288 of 289 Unread Today, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!!

I was just putting the Marantz up to +12 to max things out. I think that might have been part of my problem. Also, I tried a CleanBox pro (I think that's what you're referring to) and it didn't really change things. Would the defective gain stage mean the iNuke is defective? How would I diagnose this?
Yeah you want your AVR sub trim at 0 and then increase the input gain on the outside of your iNuke. If the AVR output voltage isn't enough, then you would want to add the CleanBox. Just make sure whatever volume you like your subs at, the red clip lights on the amp aren't being triggered.
post #289 of 289 Unread Today, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!!

The CleanBox Pro should have done the trick as would the Talent SXC available from Parts Express and a handful of other similar devices.

I would call Behringer tech support to see if they can help you through the problem. I had an Ep4000 driving two subs and one hissed like crazy while the other was silent. I changed cables and troubleshot for hours. I called Behringer and it turned out to be a bum amplifier gain. I don't believe it is something you or I could test for, but I could be mistaken. I didn't have to worry about it because they issued a return label and fixed the unit under warranty in 3 days. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page