The Vortex Theater Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #271 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Nice! Carpet looks great. I think carpet has got to be the best milestone. You can finally walk around the room without shoes on. Congrats!!

My First Build Ever in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's a beautiful room! Now you can mark another item on your construction plan on the first page as DONE!
post #273 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhare View Post
It's a beautiful room! Now you can mark another item on your construction plan on the first page as DONE!
Good point!!

November 2015 HT of the Month: The Vortex Theater
My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #274 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How do you all power on/off your remote amps that don't have a 12v trigger? The buttkicker amp and the iNuke do not have 12v triggers.

Is there a good power supply that I could use that wouldn't induce a "power on thump" and wouldn't introduce noise into the system that you can recommend?

post #275 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
How do you all power on/off your remote amps that don't have a 12v trigger? The buttkicker amp and the iNuke do not have 12v triggers.

Is there a good power supply that I could use that wouldn't induce a "power on thump" and wouldn't introduce noise into the system that you can recommend?

Check this thread out Automatically Powering on Pro Amps via Relay (guide w/ pics)

That should get your amps to turn off when your avr turns off. I have three of them and they are almost the exact same configuration.

Don't worry about the thump unless you know that you will get it. I use those remote triggers on all of my pro amps including two inukes, and I do not get a thump. I was worried that my Peavy amp would thump, but fortunately it didn't .

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #276 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Check this thread out Automatically Powering on Pro Amps via Relay (guide w/ pics)

That should get your amps to turn off when your avr turns off. I have three of them and they are almost the exact same configuration.

Don't worry about the thump unless you know that you will get it. I use those remote triggers on all of my pro amps including two inukes, and I do not get a thump. I was worried that my Peavy amp would thump, but fortunately it didn't .
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

post #277 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Your room is really looking great and I must say I love your choice of carpet!

What brand and style is that? (if you don't mind me playing copycat...I live really far away and nobody will know).
post #278 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Your room is really looking great and I must say I love your choice of carpet!

What brand and style is that? (if you don't mind me playing copycat...I live really far away and nobody will know).
More than half my build is copycat of other builds here, so go for it!

It is Kane brand, "Keyhole House - Historic District" the style, the color is "Kohl".

Here is a link to all the colors they have.
Aaron Smith likes this.

post #279 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
just spent an hour looking through your cool build thread man! LOVE the stage/carpet/soffits/lights (and clever PJ box too!)

Hey, 1. I got acoustic foam for the wall behind my screen. should I have gotten the linacoustic that you are using instead??
2. what colors are your walls/ ceiling please?

thanks for taking all the time to share!
post #280 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks great! Try not to lose momentum. My carpet was installed back in June and my punch list is still a mile long.
post #281 of 398 Old 02-24-2015, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
just spent an hour looking through your cool build thread man! LOVE the stage/carpet/soffits/lights (and clever PJ box too!)

Hey, 1. I got acoustic foam for the wall behind my screen. should I have gotten the linacoustic that you are using instead??
2. what colors are your walls/ ceiling please?

thanks for taking all the time to share!
1) I'm not really the person to ask about that, I just am mimicking what other builds have done for acoustic treatment. Better of starting a new thread about that.

2) My walls are simply flat black. I just asked for the blackest they could make it, and they mixed it up. Wasn't anything special. The ceiling swatch is posted in a previous post in this thread (look back a page or two, it will be there).

No problem, glad to help!

post #282 of 398 Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 691
I am not sure how I just came across your build tonight - EXCELLENT JOB!!! So many things about the room and its construction to love. I'm subbed and will be following along as you cross the finish line.

Two things on your hiss issue - have you ruled out the possibility it could be a defective gain stage in the iNuke? And second, have you tried one of the devices that take the standard .477 volt RCA output from the Marantz and ramps it up to the 1.7v expected by the iNuke input via XLR? The boxes are about $50, but the fact that you were turning your Marantz gain up to +12 is clear indication to me that you are trying to drive a weak signal....which also leads to hiss. I'll be curious to know what it ends up being when you find it.
post #283 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had a hum (iNuke) and when I added an inexpensive surge/power conditioner from monoprice ($99) that eliminated 95% of the hum. You also need to make sure your RCA to XLR conversion is sound. I know there are two different ways to wire that conversion. Is cable TV wired into your system? I found cable to be a major sorce of hum inducer. Again a power conditioner could help that.
post #284 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
I had a hum (iNuke) and when I added an inexpensive surge/power conditioner from monoprice ($99) that eliminated 95% of the hum. You also need to make sure your RCA to XLR conversion is sound. I know there are two different ways to wire that conversion. Is cable TV wired into your system? I found cable to be a major sorce of hum inducer. Again a power conditioner could help that.
I would not put an amp on a power conditioner. I use to do the very same thing until I realized that the amp was being choked out in the ULF range. My amps would go into protection mode especially in TIH and other movies that had great dynamics and strong bass. Took the amp off the power conditioner and all those issues went away. Most common thing to get rid of a hum is to ground the chassis of the amp to the chassis of the avr. In ClemsonJeeper's case, I think TMcG is right. He has the sub trim too high on his avr and is causing some issues.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #285 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I would not put an amp on a power conditioner. I use to do the very same thing until I realized that the amp was being choked out in the ULF range. My amps would go into protection mode especially in TIH and other movies that had great dynamics and strong bass. Took the amp off the power conditioner and all those issues went away. Most common thing to get rid of a hum is to ground the chassis of the amp to the chassis of the avr. In ClemsonJeeper's case, I think TMcG is right. He has the sub trim too high on his avr and is causing some issues.
Right right!!! When I put all the other components (AVR) on the surge protector/conditioner my hum went away. I run my iNuke on a stand alone breaker unconditioned.
post #286 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Putting EVERYTHING on an isolation transformer of the appropriate size is the definitive answer to all power gremlins, but they are a bit pricey. They are the only power protection units that can handle multiple amps and a whole rack of equipment at the same time. Lots of options to try before reaching that point, though.
post #287 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I am not sure how I just came across your build tonight - EXCELLENT JOB!!! So many things about the room and its construction to love. I'm subbed and will be following along as you cross the finish line.

Two things on your hiss issue - have you ruled out the possibility it could be a defective gain stage in the iNuke? And second, have you tried one of the devices that take the standard .477 volt RCA output from the Marantz and ramps it up to the 1.7v expected by the iNuke input via XLR? The boxes are about $50, but the fact that you were turning your Marantz gain up to +12 is clear indication to me that you are trying to drive a weak signal....which also leads to hiss. I'll be curious to know what it ends up being when you find it.
Thanks!!

I was just putting the Marantz up to +12 to max things out. I think that might have been part of my problem. Also, I tried a CleanBox pro (I think that's what you're referring to) and it didn't really change things. Would the defective gain stage mean the iNuke is defective? How would I diagnose this?

post #288 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!!

I was just putting the Marantz up to +12 to max things out. I think that might have been part of my problem. Also, I tried a CleanBox pro (I think that's what you're referring to) and it didn't really change things. Would the defective gain stage mean the iNuke is defective? How would I diagnose this?
Yeah you want your AVR sub trim at 0 and then increase the input gain on the outside of your iNuke. If the AVR output voltage isn't enough, then you would want to add the CleanBox. Just make sure whatever volume you like your subs at, the red clip lights on the amp aren't being triggered.
post #289 of 398 Old 02-26-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!!

The CleanBox Pro should have done the trick as would the Talent SXC available from Parts Express and a handful of other similar devices.

I would call Behringer tech support to see if they can help you through the problem. I had an Ep4000 driving two subs and one hissed like crazy while the other was silent. I changed cables and troubleshot for hours. I called Behringer and it turned out to be a bum amplifier gain. I don't believe it is something you or I could test for, but I could be mistaken. I didn't have to worry about it because they issued a return label and fixed the unit under warranty in 3 days. YMMV.
post #290 of 398 Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Speaker assembly
While building speakers, special delivery showed up:

Build is looking great! However, I have an off topic question for you - I also live in Ashburn - your grass looks great - what lawn service do you use? You can PM me if you like
ClemsonJeeper likes this.
post #291 of 398 Old 03-01-2015, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post
Build is looking great! However, I have an off topic question for you - I also live in Ashburn - your grass looks great - what lawn service do you use? You can PM me if you like
Hah! Congrats on probably the most random, off-topic quote in a dedicated home theater thread ever.

No lawn service - I work on it myself. Seed it twice a year, irrigation system installed, and fertilize appropriately.

I actually bought a John Deere to mow my own lawn since I actually find it cathartic and enjoy disappearing from reality for an hour while riding around mowing my lawn.... I guess I must be getting old...

Where in Ashburn are you?

I'd actually be interested in hosting a local NoVA get together of people who might be interested in seeing the finished product when I'm done.... If there's actually interest...

post #292 of 398 Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'd actually be interested in hosting a local NoVA get together of people who might be interested in seeing the finished product when I'm done.... If there's actually interest...
+1 for a NoVA meet-up. I'm just down the road in Stone Ridge
post #293 of 398 Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Where in Ashburn are you?

I am in Broadlands. I would love to see your theater when it is done! Count me in for a NOVA meet.

One of these days I hope to have my theater finally completed. Waiting for it to warm up so I can work in the garage again.
post #294 of 398 Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More updates from the weekend.

Finishing up the outside of the theater, painted the walls and hung my portrait-mounted LCD outside the theater. The idea is have it display whatever is going on in the theater (movie poster of whats showing) or if nothing is going on in the theater, just cycle through cool movie posters I like. I have a Raspberry Pi 2 feeding it with some custom software I wrote (still a work in progress). The cool part is I can control the TV's power using CEC from the RPi so I can have the TV power off if the theater isn't in use for a while, and have it turn on when my motion sensor in the basement from my security system gets triggered.

I also had an issue with 2 of my amps (Buttkicker & iNuke) don't have remote triggers, so I built a outlet with a relay in it that gets powered on when the AVR does. I still have a thump issue which I need to diagnose.

Also built the (extremely) minimalstic screen wall. My main speakers needed to be lifted about 6" too to get the waveguide at ear level with the front row, so I built speaker stands out of sliced up 3/4" particle board screwed together and then painted. Doesn't have to be fancy since it will be behind the screen wall.

Photos!

Just an idea of what my basement has looked like for the better part of a year. Keep this in mind if you ever decide to build a home theater.

The relay box switched outlet for my amps:

The front of the theater with the LCD movie poster display:

The screen wall built:

The speaker stands built:

Speakers on the stands:

Hopefully get my screen this week and Jeff from night sky murals is coming this weekend to get the ceiling painted!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	579185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	579193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	579201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	579209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	579217  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	579225  
4AlexF and T-Town like this.

post #295 of 398 Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 182
post #296 of 398 Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm having such difficulty picking out an accent color for the fabric panels... ugh.

post #297 of 398 Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I'm having such difficulty picking out an accent color for the fabric panels... ugh.

Still a couple of these rolls of dark blue GOM left: I bought one yesterday.. might match your ceiling really well. Probably WAY more material than you need though..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221606181509?rmvSB=true
post #298 of 398 Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
thats what I went with as well cant beat 66c a yard

JVC RS400 4K PJ | Denon x7200WA 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X | Emotiva XPA-5 gen2 |Emotiva XPA-200 gen2 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | (4) VOLT 6 sidesurrounds/Back Surrounds | (4) VOLT 6 ATMOS | 1 - PSA XS30 | (2) DIY SI-HT18 sealed (2) DIY SI18 DS4 sealed| (2) inuke6000dp | Samsung K8500 4k UHD BDP | 16x11x7.5 sealed HT
FS: PSA mt110 pair
FS: Panasonic ae8000 w/ 4 sets of 3d glasses
post #299 of 398 Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
thats what I went with as well cant beat 66c a yard
I'm SOOOO glad I found that thread.. I hadn't really factored in GOM or alternatives for my wall panels into my total budget yet.. I knew it would be expensive.. but finding this deal saved me a huge amount of money.
post #300 of 398 Old 03-03-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
I'm SOOOO glad I found that thread.. I hadn't really factored in GOM or alternatives for my wall panels into my total budget yet.. I knew it would be expensive.. but finding this deal saved me a huge amount of money.
What thread are you referring to? If theres other deals on GOM I'd gladly take a look at them...

I'm really leaning toward the Cobalt GOM though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page