Updated w/ PICS! My first dedicated home theater room! Input needed before I begin - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been into home theater for a lil over a decade but never had the oppurtunity to have a dedicated theater room.
Most of the epuipment will be entry level so I really think the design is going to play the biggest role.

htpc:
amd liano powered in an htpc case. pretty generic, running xbmc. I also have a server with all my music and movies etc.

avr: pioneer vsx 1022
front channels: pioneer fs51
center: pioneer cs21
surrounds: pioneer bs41
sub: acoustech pl200

projector: JVC DLA-X30

screen: DIY

Here is the demensions of the room and a short description of each wall. The cieling is 8ft.and unfinished and the
floor is concrete.

wall
A is a exterior wall and has two inches of foam already. it is called insulfoam http://www.insulfoam.com/

B is also an exterior wall with 2 inches of foam.

C connects to a storage room. no sheet rock hung thats not a door its a lil closest. tight fit but
i think it will fit all the equipment

D there is no wall built yet. That is as far left as the the door can go because of a closet
in a small bedroom connects there.

My plan is for a screen on wall A anywhere from 90-120 inches wide. I am shooting for a 10 ft. seating distance
and the seating will be a pit style couch. 2x4 2 inch thick sound absorption panels at the first reflection point
and a couple 2x4 4 in. thick absorption panels on the rear wall. Bass traps floor to cieling in the corners of the rear
wall and a 2x4 2in thick absorpion panel (or dshould I go with a diffuser?) on the cieling at the first reflection point as well.
The projector I wanted to build its own housing in the storage room
behing wall C. Any input about lighting would be great. Also other concerns I have are the foam on the walls,
should I get more foam for the other walls?

this shows the walls with foam

This shows the cutout on wall C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Leave the DIY screen until last. Get your projector and shine it on the primed but unpainted wall in your space. experiment with different image sizes and see what you like best. No need to try to guesstimate your needs.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Why not just use Goo Systems Goo Screen paint, for a 1.3 gain? Excellent product.

The video side is very solid. Will the room get symmetrical side walls?
post #4 of 10 Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I don't think you will need a 1.3 gain screen with the JVC. I'm projecting on a DIY blackout fabric screen with an RS2 and it looks great.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #5 of 10 Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Leave the DIY screen until last. Get your projector and shine it on the primed but unpainted wall in your space. experiment with different image sizes and see what you like best. No need to try to guesstimate your needs.

good point. I def. want to find that sweet spot on the zoom lense. I'm by no means locked in on a actual # for screen size, of course seating is only 10 ft away so that sets my boundries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Why not just use Goo Systems Goo Screen paint, for a 1.3 gain? Excellent product.

The video side is very solid. Will the room get symmetrical side walls?
I have never heard of the goo paint before. I will have to research. and by symmetrical side walls do you mean parallel? or if its an exact square room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

I don't think you will need a 1.3 gain screen with the JVC. I'm projecting on a DIY blackout fabric screen with an RS2 and it looks great.
this is the input i need. I'm not sure about the screen or the accoustics of the room thought the accoustics part is really a crap shoot cause every room is diff. I can def. say that the room will be dark and the projector is the jvc at around a 15ft throw max. screen size from 90 to 120 diagonal. hoping to find the middle ground with great contrast and a super crisp picture.

thanks for the input so far. im still learning but very eager. I know the design will make or break this room so i'm very cautious to begin without a thorough plan.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Parallel side walls (so the front speakers have reflective walls). Ideally, you don't want a square room.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Best way to get help is to draw it out, post it, then request feedback. You'll got quite a bit I'm sure.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
post #8 of 10 Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

^^
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Liked: 11
As for DIY screens check out the forum. There are some very helpful ppl there. they helped me make a 120" SilverFire screen that I am/was really proud of (moved into new home and am not using it currently). If done correctly it is said to be comparable to some very nice screens. thats a debate for another day. Nice thing about SilverFire is you can customize the gain to the needs of room and the mixing and spraying is very easy. Believe I spent around ~250 for extruded PVC, paints, and HPLV sprayer.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Looks like you are going to have a great space. I'll second the DIY painted screen. I went with another type of painted screen and I'm very happy with its performance. Do some lurking in the DIY screen thread, it will be very informative.

As far as sound treatments go, the more you read about that (the acoustical treatments master thread is a great way to start), the more you realize there is voodoo, black magic, and alchemy. Before reading there bring some Advil or Excedrin you'll need it after a few pages in.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page