Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #541 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is my favorite theater you have done Big, I am blown away by this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
When is the back bar counter top being installed?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #543 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. While I made have provided a lot of the hands on experience to get it done, NYGF23 made a huge commitment of time to lead the planning of the finished look and learning new skills that he put to use during the project, I had him cutting boards, screwing up isolation clips, fastening the bottom plates (I think his favorite because he got to shoot the gun), Pulling wires into position, installing the insulation. Lifting one end of the drywall, caulking, painting, bringing in ALL the sand, Carrying all the gear/chairs around and gennerally helping whenever he could. Most important he brought his check book to the table. It is always more fun playing with other peoples money and I thank him for the opportunity to play with my tools one more time and to spend the time working with someone who truly has the passion. I wish it was just down the block as I'd be begging for an invitation for a good flick and some of the the Wife's great Salmon dish that I was luckily enough to sample a couple of times.

While there are a few tasks before he can fully enjoy his space he is getting really close to living his dream. Getting the granite counter will happen soon. He also needs to run the Denon through it's set-up paces and adjust the sound, program the remote, and hook up his hard wired ethernet connection.

At some point the neighbor who has a "beginner" grade theater (and very proud of it) and has been asking GF "how is the theater coming?" will need to be invited over and properly humbled. Not that we AVSer's are into oneupmanship. but sometimes you just need the mines bigger than yours ego fix.
post #544 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Excellent job guys, that looks like a comfy theater! Gotta love the JTR's.

I may have missed it but, what was the screen width? What subs are you running?
post #545 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I am betting you may end up with a new customer once the neighbor sees this space. The amazing part to me is most if not all when they just see this beautiful room will have no idea the obstacles that had to be overcome to make this space a reality. My hat is off not only to big for yet another beautiful build but also to NYGiantsFan23 for not comprising when faced with such a big obstacle as he was faced with having to have a engineer get involved and moving poles around. I think most would have scaled back there design or taken an easier path. I think everything that was spent and time put into in this space was worth every penny and every ounce of sweat put into it. Cant wait to see it in person again.
I hope to see this theater featured in another electronic house article.
post #546 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Fantastic.  It's a great looking room.  Amazing that it got assembled so quickly considering the pace that my space is coming together.  

Looking forward to some first-hand reports of how movies look and sound in there!

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #547 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All I can say is WOW! Beautiful theater. You guys have some great talents.

post #548 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
So jealous of those dimensions.
post #549 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Today was a 12 hour ball buster but still a ways to go. While I hovered over the carpet layers, who were very good. I hooked up the two supplies and two returns to the main ducts in an adjacent room, Cutting holes in sheet metal not a favorite of mine. NYGF23 finally reclaimed the garage and hauled all the various boxes down and staged them outside the room. We finished the sand weighted speaker stands and got the front stage sound installed. We did load up the area behind the front columns with roxul safe and sound. The screen was hung again and the surrounding frames made and painted black (NYGF23).

The electrician on site who was doing work on the rest of the basement finished a couple hours early and said "Jeff, is there anything I can help you with?"

Wrong question, He ended up installing the surface mount ceiling light in the equipment room, all the outlets and step lights in the theater.

Updated pictures including the location for the equipment.

Jeff, would you mind telling me the size of the registers you put into the riser broadband? Could you tell me where you bought them as they are very nice?

Also, how deep is the riser? 10'?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #550 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Thanks Kevin G, no you did not miss the equipment list.. I posted it sporadically, but when I get home I will figure out how to make a list and finally nail down a name for my theater.

You mean the "Beam and Pole Interruptus NOT" is not its "official" name?

Once again, awesome awesome job. My favorite build on AVS, it just all works so well with nothing tacky or over the top.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #551 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

Jeff, would you mind telling me the size of the registers you put into the riser broadband? Could you tell me where you bought them as they are very nice?

Also, how deep is the riser? 10'?

the riser is 11 and change deep.

I'm not qualified to advise you on the size of the riser vents but I got them here: http://www.hvacquick.com/products.php/residential/Grilles-Registers/Bar-Linear-Grilles/Dayus-Bar-Linear-FLOOR-Grilles-and-Registers#price

Select the floor return with no damper option, as it turns out they are made in Windsor, Canada.

http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_files/Dayus_dafg_Cut_Sheet.pdf

in this picture you can see what started out as 12 ft boards and what we used for the center supports is the part we cut off.

900x900px-LL-f60a9856_IMG_0019_zpsd3809b63.jpeg
post #552 of 838 Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I used Sherwin Williams Emerald matte finish on the walls and ceiling, and their signature series semi gloss.

Quote:

*NEW PICS* Well, the painting is 98% complete; just need to hang some ceiling moldings.

AppleMark

WOW!!!!!! Great job guys, theater is looking awesome. nygiantsfan23 which paint colors did you use walls and ceiling?
post #553 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Excellent job guys, that looks like a comfy theater! Gotta love the JTR's.

I may have missed it but, what was the screen width? What subs are you running?

It is a 130 inch wide Falcon screen and the subs are a pair of Hsu's.
post #554 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Big,

Did you paint the moulding around the fabric panels before or after you attached the moulding?
post #555 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

GF painted them laying on saw horses. Then they were cut to length and nailed to the walls. GF dabbed filler in the nail holes and touched up the paint on the wall being careful not to get any on the fabric.
post #556 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

in this picture you can see what started out as 12 ft boards and what we used for the center supports is the part we cut off.

why is the riser separated from the floor? is that for sound isolation? are you getting enough structural support for the weight of people and chairs?

Jeff I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your finishing work with trim. I feel like I could do (or find someone to do) about 2 / 3's of what I see in your pictures but your work with trim is second to none.
post #557 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the riser is 11 and change deep.

I'm not qualified to advise you on the size of the riser vents but I got them here: http://www.hvacquick.com/products.php/residential/Grilles-Registers/Bar-Linear-Grilles/Dayus-Bar-Linear-FLOOR-Grilles-and-Registers#price

Select the floor return with no damper option, as it turns out they are made in Windsor, Canada.

http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_files/Dayus_dafg_Cut_Sheet.pdf

It appears that the returns are built 15 minutes from my house. Thanks for the info.

My rise is virtually the same size as yours as is my room. Would you mind sharing the grill dimensions in the back and in front of the rack?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #558 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

GF painted them laying on saw horses. Then they were cut to length and nailed to the walls. GF dabbed filler in the nail holes and touched up the paint on the wall being careful not to get any on the fabric.

Thanks, I figured it is nearly impossible to paint the trim without hitting the fabric
post #559 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

why is the riser separated from the floor? is that for sound isolation? are you getting enough structural support for the weight of people and chairs?

but your work with trim is second to none.

For the record GF and I collaborated on the molding design but for economics we had our Drywall guy hang it as he was a little younger, cheaper and faster. I did the columns and the fabric frames.

The riser is actually over engineered. what in the picture makes you think it is not? The span on those 2x10s is about 6 ft and they are spaced 16 inches on center, look it up in a span table and tell us what you find.

http://www.awc.org/technical/spantables/tutorial.html

The purpose of lifting it off the floor is twofold, it allows the riser to function as one large volume for bass management and second it saves money both in materials and the fact that you only have to level and shim the perimeter not each board that might encounter a high spot in the middle of the room.
post #560 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Some more pics.

I tried to color correct these the best I could. Carpet is still darker in person.

Where we started

For Rich - Falcon Screens, his first client screen serial #00001 , thanks for all the help!

BIG, again your hands got more touch than Picasso. With nygiantsfan23 working triples to up his savings for the items he bought for the theater smile.gif lol. Do you mind sharing the paint colors you used for ceiling and walls before installing the panels?
post #561 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I'm home but look what I left behind!

Theater looks great! Another fantastic Build!

How are the speaker stands built?
post #562 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post

Theater looks great! Another fantastic Build!

How are the speaker stands built?

MDF boxes glued and nailed. Tossed a bag of sand intact in the bottom and filled the rest of the space with insulation. The result was an 80 lb. box.
post #563 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks Big - Perfect Timing - I am at this stage in my build and have about 10 bags of sand left over.

Awesome stuff as always!
post #564 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

A lesson I've learned in life, the hard way. Only make it as heavy as you are prepared to lift. Don't think "well I'll just make it in place and I'll never be reconfiguring my speakers".
post #565 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

NYGF23 and I are keeping the budget in mind on this project and for the built in equipment rack are considering this "value". While the mid-atlantic slim 5 series with custom face plates is pretty slick (Staggered wall panel theater) it is going to run 2-3x this unit. Any other suggestions for a $500 rack complete are welcome

it is a 77 inch tall rack that I can pick up locally from an importer (HTdepot.com)

We will probably have to leave the back door off, we'll see.

Does anyone have a model number for the rack? I do not see this one on the HTDepot.com site. I see a $649 assembled one

Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #566 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

$649 is the free shipping price, $499 is the pick up at the store price, I'm not sure if it comes assembled. $499 didn't.
post #567 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM

OK - Big - gotta ask about screws again eek.gif for the 3/4" MDF. I am predrilling the holes when joining two pieces of MDF at a right angle and using 3" course drywall screws but when I put the screw into the end piece it cracks.

Just want to make sure to get the stands correct so they can hold the weight of the sand.

Can you go into more detail about the speaker stands?

Thanks!
post #568 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Sorry there was a typo, I corrected it earlier today but you probably already started on your project. I just shot 2 inch 18 gauge finish nails in to hold it together until the glue dried.

I have used screws in the past for MDF but nothing longer than 1 5/8
post #569 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks Big - I assume "liquid nails for projects" ?
post #570 of 838 Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page