Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 809 Old 03-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Given you don't have much space between the ceiling and the floor above, I'm curious what percentage of the low frequency vibrations are making their way up to the space above (I believe it was a Kitchen?). It would seem to me based on the details you posted that a subwoofer of any significance would be felt and heard loudly if the volume in the room approached anywhere close to reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 809 Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

6 1/2 seat back to seat back.

Sweeeet, thanks for the reply sir! Looks like plenty of room with the tributes
post #783 of 809 Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyguy666 View Post

Given you don't have much space between the ceiling and the floor above, I'm curious what percentage of the low frequency vibrations are making their way up to the space above (I believe it was a Kitchen?). It would seem to me based on the details you posted that a subwoofer of any significance would be felt and heard loudly if the volume in the room approached anywhere close to reference.

At near reference volume, you can definitely can feel more than hear. I rarely ever listen to my system at reference. that only occurs when i have a few buddies over and I want to show off for a few minutes.
post #784 of 809 Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the honest feedback.

Out of curiosity why didn't you utilize Quiet Rock suspended via deflection coil springs at the ceiling? It seems to me that that would have been a much better solution especially for minimizing the lower frequencies that you acknowledge are being felt in the space above.

Also, have you tested the ft/lamberts off your screen? My research indicates that fully-calibrated your PJ would likely produce around 13-14ft/lamberts on a screen that size and that's with a brand new bulb and a total black environment. So I'm guessing you may be getting less?

Thanks again!
post #785 of 809 Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
just wanted to say thank you for posting so much detail on this and all your other projects DC. They are a big inspiration and i learn a lot of stuff i can apply to my own setup. Even if it doesnt turn out quite as nice cool.gif

NYGIANTSFAN23, Congrats for having your theater recognized. It is an awesome setup. Theres so much i like about it. The colors. The overall design. Its a dedicated theater but doesnt have that cheesy theater look that a lot of dedicated theaters have. Its nice and warm. Its just a great space.

I will definitely be coming back to this thread a lot when i start my theater.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #786 of 809 Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:

Thanks for the honest feedback.

Out of curiosity why didn't you utilize Quiet Rock suspended via deflection coil springs at the ceiling? It seems to me that that would have been a much better solution especially for minimizing the lower frequencies that you acknowledge are being felt in the space above.

I am of the opinion that two layers of 5/8 drywall with a field applied constrained dampening layer (Green Glue) offers the advantage of extra mass over a single sheet of Quiet Rock. We did use springs they are spring arms, different brand different approach, do you have test data comparing deflection coil springs to spring arms?

We could have added damped mass to the bottom of the sub-floor but in the planning it was determined that we were shooting for a 7 out of 10.
post #787 of 809 Old 03-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I am of the opinion that two layers of 5/8 drywall with a field applied constrained dampening layer (Green Glue) offers the advantage of extra mass over a single sheet of Quiet Rock. We did use springs they are spring arms, different brand different approach, do you have test data comparing deflection coil springs to spring arms?

We could have added damped mass to the bottom of the sub-floor but in the planning it was determined that we were shooting for a 7 out of 10.

Two layers of quiet rock sandwiched together via green glue would have taken the same space but provided an enormous benefit with respect to soundproofing. Deflection coils are typically better at absorbing sound especially at the lower frequencies according to data from PMI.

Ideally, one would use computer models to determine the best resistance for the coils throughout the room as some areas of the room will need stiffer coils whereas others could benefit from slightly less rigidity.

All in all, a 7 out of 10 is a solid C. But for $50,000, that is a good deal!
post #788 of 809 Old 03-09-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this pad and carpet over the poured floor or did you guys put in a sub floor?

post #789 of 809 Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Hey Brian, thanks for the compliment.

The only portion of the floor where the carpet is on concrete is the area between the stage and the riser. When are you planning to start your theater?
post #790 of 809 Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Two layers of quiet rock sandwiched together via green glue would have taken the same space but provided an enormous benefit with respect to soundproofing. Deflection coils are typically better at absorbing sound especially at the lower frequencies according to data from PMI.

I used Kinetic Noise Control ICW isolation hangers for my last theater and they worked fantastically, even for the low frequencies at reference level. The best way to describe the noise that did come through was a quiet rumble of distant thunder....very distant thunder to the point of almost inaudibility. But I think what NYGIANTSFAN and BIG did was really smart and represented a really good value with the clips / channel / double 5/8" with Green Glue. The least expensive Quietrock 525 is still almost $70 per sheet vs. $13 per sheet for the same size 5/8" panel. The coil springs also require cold rolled steel c-channel and lots of installation detail, not to mention the high price tag for each of the coil springs. By getting 90%+ of the soundproofing effect for 15% of the cost of your proposed alternative is hitting WAY higher than 7 out of 10 when it comes to value.
Quote:

Ideally, one would use computer models to determine the best resistance for the coils throughout the room as some areas of the room will need stiffer coils whereas others could benefit from slightly less rigidity.

Can you explain this? I've only ever seen these coils based (and rated) on static weight load and not intensity of sound waves. And vibrational energy from home theater subs is very easily handled by the coil springs. I've never seen any isolation springs rated on anything different other than load.
post #791 of 809 Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Hey Brian, thanks for the compliment.

The only portion of the floor where the carpet is on concrete is the area between the stage and the riser. When are you planning to start your theater?

ok, thats what i was thinking, thanks. so the first row is on the slab.

time till new theater build = not soon enough, but not anytime soon. i may start framing this spring/summer. the entire basement is unfinished. im not sure if i should only focus on just the theater or finish the whole basement. it looks like you just did the theater? how is that working for you? do you plan on finishing the rest of the basement?

post #792 of 809 Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

ok, thats what i was thinking, thanks. so the first row is on the slab.

time till new theater build = not soon enough, but not anytime soon. i may start framing this spring/summer. the entire basement is unfinished. im not sure if i should only focus on just the theater or finish the whole basement. it looks like you just did the theater? how is that working for you? do you plan on finishing the rest of the basement?

The basement is now completely finished. I am in the process of getting the basement floor tiled and then I will be working on my bar. My theater room was more important to me at the time so I decided to get that done first. Things are coming together, but it seems like I can't run out of ideas which makes it hard to make a final decision.
post #793 of 809 Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 PM

6 1/2
post #794 of 809 Old 03-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How are the surrounds performing in terms of directivity? Do you find that the dispersion covers your seating positions fairly well? Did you put them near ear height or did you aim them down at all?

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #795 of 809 Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

How are the surrounds performing in terms of directivity? Do you find that the dispersion covers your seating positions fairly well? Did you put them near ear height or did you aim them down at all?

I'd be interested in hearing BigmouthinDC's input on this. I'm looking at a similar (very similar) option for my build, dual sides, for each row- and SEOS family DIY speakers. The other option is the new Coaxial Volt Series which seems to offer better dispersion, but with two sets of sides and proper positioning I don't know if the controlled directivity of the speakers is a bad thing or now.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #796 of 809 Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'd be interested in hearing BigmouthinDC's input on this. I'm looking at a similar (very similar) option for my build, dual sides, for each row- and SEOS family DIY speakers. The other option is the new Coaxial Volt Series which seems to offer better dispersion, but with two sets of sides and proper positioning I don't know if the controlled directivity of the speakers is a bad thing or now.

The Minions that he used have the same waveguide and compression driver that my Alchemy's have so I suspect they will behave very similarly in the columns. I had not heard back from NYGiantsFan so I asked Bagby who designed the Alchemy's about it in my theater. He knows the dimensions and felt there would be no issue, so I suspect NYGiantsFan is very happy with his. Especially with two side surrounds.

The Alchemy's use a less expensive woofer than the Minions and the crossover parts are less as well, but I went with Fusion Tempests as my mains and the Alchemy's were designed to be surround speakers specifically for them. (though they are often used as mains by people with good results)

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #797 of 809 Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post

The Minions that he used have the same waveguide and compression driver that my Alchemy's have so I suspect they will behave very similarly in the columns. I had not heard back from NYGiantsFan so I asked Bagby who designed the Alchemy's about it in my theater. He knows the dimensions and felt there would be no issue, so I suspect NYGiantsFan is very happy with his. Especially with two side surrounds.

The Alchemy's use a less expensive woofer than the Minions and the crossover parts are less as well, but I went with Fusion Tempests as my mains and the Alchemy's were designed to be surround speakers specifically for them. (though they are often used as mains by people with good results)

Sorry for the delay guys, I don't get on the forum as much as I would like. I am going to try and answer your question as best as I can. The speakers are near ear height and they sound great to me. There is a slight difference sitting in the front row VS the second row. Sitting in the second row, I am in between the 4 sides and I get a better sound VS sitting in the first row with just 2 sides. I am completely happy the minions. They really compliment my set up.
post #798 of 809 Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Liked: 11
NYGIantsFan,

Just wanted to say congratulations and that your thread above so many others has been my inspiration for my own build as well. I'm in a similiar situation in that I have a unfinished basement with a similar plan of an acoustic wall, 2 rows, and a back bar. So this has been a great start.

I'm not sure if you have this buried in the thread somewhere (I do intend to read it all cover to cover) but would be curious to know what you went with as far as the spacing between the back wall and the screen, the stage (length and height) as well as the distance and height to your riser (looks like just the one riser and then the back bar isn't a second step up, which I think makes sense).

Anyway given that my builders are into building houses, not really home theaters, I figure as much as I can know before they start putting the walls up the better, as far as what cabling I need to run (which I want to do myself), insulation, and other particulars that they would normally skip when building a "regular" room . Anything we can do before the drywall goes up is a plus, even if we can't; finish it all, I at least want to have the shell done right.

A PM is fine to go into detail, or pop over to my thread if you would be so kind, as I think this thread needs to continue to be about your theater and the awesomeness of it. Just hoping I might be able to get some more deets from you as I just love it.

Thanks again and congrats.
post #799 of 809 Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 AM

I've read through this thread and loved the progress and work. Good job guys!

I am buying a new home and my room size will be very similar if not slightly larger with the current drywall/stud setup. The current owner used the space as a TV room but had a Rear projector TV in the room so it needs some serious love... I am trying to plan for great sound proofing since the room above the theater is the dining room and kitchen.

I do have a few questions that could help me in my future builds since my space is going to be similar to the space here:

1. Since I will be demoing the room and there are currently walls in place would you recommend if possible to demo the walls to allow for clips to be placed on the walls like it was done in this build or would it be better to stagger then use the clips+dw+GG+dw method instead? I think once I tear down the drywall I could evaluate the current walls and see if I can replace them with the clip system.
  2. Can you explain quiet box you purchased for this build as to what it was used for and why?
  3. I noticed you put carpet down and the floor is poured concrete. Did you put any type of sub floor down or how did the carpet layers put the carpet down?

Thanks!
post #800 of 809 Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

NYGIantsFan,

Just wanted to say congratulations and that your thread above so many others has been my inspiration for my own build as well. I'm in a similiar situation in that I have a unfinished basement with a similar plan of an acoustic wall, 2 rows, and a back bar. So this has been a great start.

I'm not sure if you have this buried in the thread somewhere (I do intend to read it all cover to cover) but would be curious to know what you went with as far as the spacing between the back wall and the screen, the stage (length and height) as well as the distance and height to your riser (looks like just the one riser and then the back bar isn't a second step up, which I think makes sense).

Anyway given that my builders are into building houses, not really home theaters, I figure as much as I can know before they start putting the walls up the better, as far as what cabling I need to run (which I want to do myself), insulation, and other particulars that they would normally skip when building a "regular" room . Anything we can do before the drywall goes up is a plus, even if we can't; finish it all, I at least want to have the shell done right.

A PM is fine to go into detail, or pop over to my thread if you would be so kind, as I think this thread needs to continue to be about your theater and the awesomeness of it. Just hoping I might be able to get some more deets from you as I just love it.

Thanks again and congrats.

I will PM you this evening
post #801 of 809 Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

What is done to finish off around the screen and cover the speaker stands and such? Is it just wrapped with fabric?

i have a budget bigger than my budget.

post #802 of 809 Old 05-02-2014, 06:10 PM

Yes it is just wrapped with fabric.
post #803 of 809 Old 05-02-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

speaker stands were black paint, front wall is black linacoustic, speakers are black. the velvet wrapped on the frames surrounding the screen is black.
post #804 of 809 Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Hey Brad,

Check your in box
post #805 of 809 Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

I have all of my seating and I am working on the carpet this w/e. we still have a few cosmetics to address before we put the carpet down and we still have to build the bar top.

Hello NY Giants Fan!

Great Theater!

I see pictures of the seating, and other posters referencing "Fusions" and "Tributes", so, but, I don't see specifically the name of the chairs you used.  I am guessing they are the Fusion Tribute model, but wasn't positive.

I am considering 2 of the HSU VTF15s as well... all in all, are you happy with them?  

Thanks,

Kevin

post #806 of 809 Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Liked: 11
Freaking amazing theater! WOW! How far are your first and second row of seats from your screen? Do you like the size of your screen? Also how are you doing your 4 sets of side speakers. Are they set to different volumes than each other? Are they directly to the side of the listening positions or slightly forward or rear. Again tremendous work!
post #807 of 809 Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any instructions on how the windiw was covered? Plywood then pink fluffy then plywood? is this enough for moisture?
post #808 of 809 Old 07-05-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

usually plywood, fluffy, then the drywall. Moisture is not an issue.
post #809 of 809 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Thanks Big.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page