Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Some time ago NYGF23 posted pictures of a great space for a theater in his unfinished basement except for a stupid, pole. So he grabbed his check book hired an engineer and now we have space, But it still has a low hanging beam that we intend to disguise.

Original Space:

AS is CUSTOM now that the theater project is complete a couple of finished shots are previewed here:

arttu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The pole got moved and replaced with two poles spread closer to the perimeter. We intend to hide them in speaker columns. Today the well pump expansion tank got moved out of the way and we worked on framing with IB3 clips. More pics to follow when the room is framed

The room when framed will be 25-3 by 17-6 The ceiling is 105 inches

We are planning two rows of 4 seats, and a back sit at bar. Equipment will be in an adjacent closet with rear access. More to come
post #3 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
WOO HOO!!

I've been waiting anxiously for season eight!

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #4 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #5 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looks like I have another thread to follow! However, I really don't like doing the math for how many HTs BIG has finished off while I'm still on number 1...rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cool, looking forward to this one!

post #7 of 819 Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Five28 likes this.

War Eagle!
post #8 of 819 Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Looks like a great space to work with.

I'll be watching you.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #9 of 819 Old 03-23-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Looks like a great space to work with.

I'll be watching you.

As long as your watching and not Loganing we should be fine.

Great space, looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #10 of 819 Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Looks like I have another thread to follow! However, I really don't like doing the math for how many HTs BIG has finished off while I'm still on number 1...rolleyes.gif

Cant relate more!

Although, I hung my screen and pj so.........
post #11 of 819 Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
This one should be fun to follow. It looks like a great space!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #12 of 819 Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

We finished the framing yesterday morning, all walls with IB3 clips. One oddity is that we had to clip the front left corner of the theater to allow room to acess the future mechanical room. It will be hidden behind the screen wall. Window got covered,

post #13 of 819 Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I assume there is a short stud hiding behind the post in the picture, below the beam, but I wonder what you did to the top plate above/around the beam - is it continuous? How are the two wall segments held together?
post #14 of 819 Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah......Trick photography......gets em every time. Actually I'm pretty sure it's a CGI'd stud wall that's how it's done these days. Maybe it's a shy stud, that doesn't want to be photographed. Or could be just the camera angle. biggrin.gif

Still I'm a little sick as to the "cleanliness" of the "work space/construction area". I'd just be happy if my theater would stay that clean now!

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #15 of 819 Old 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Trust me there is a stud every 16 inches.

Today was more prep work which included running cat 6 from first floor office with the homes modem and network router to the equipment stack location and running two RG6 cables from the satellite multi switch location to the stack. Also needed to move and tighten up some wiring run under the ceiling joists in the theater. Last we screwed up 109 clips for the channel.We needed to add some blocking between the 24 inch OC ceiling joists to anchor the ends of the clips.

Tomorrow we need to move a duct and work on conduits and HVAC issues. Hopefully get the channel up and start on the backer boxes
post #16 of 819 Old 03-26-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Any updates, progress, or details?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #17 of 819 Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

We have made progress, I will post pics of everything prior to insulation hopefully tomorrow night. NYGF23 is now an official AVS theater builder as he personally hung all of the channel today but more importantly he crossed over the line and became an elite builder when he banged a finger with a hammer and developed a pea sized blood blister on his finger.
post #18 of 819 Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey RTROSE, I left you a message in your inbox. We ( more of Big than me) were able to accomplish a good bit today. I put up the channel while Big worked on the conduits and HVAC tasks. We ran into a few issues, but nothing MCGYVER aka Big could not figure out. Being new to the forum and having very limited carpentry skills, I must admit that Big has taught me a lot and he is very patient. I'm quite sure at times he must think to his self what the hell is he doing over there now... Lol. Well, we ended the day by starting on the backer boxes. I will keep you guys posted.
post #19 of 819 Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Just seeing this thread and subscribed! Congratulations NYGIANTSFAN23. You have an awesome space and great ceiling height. Its a treat to see Big's work unfold again. I see some familiar tools in the picture smile.gif and miss holding them.
post #20 of 819 Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

We have made progress, I will post pics of everything prior to insulation hopefully tomorrow night. NYGF23 is now an official AVS theater builder as he personally hung all of the channel today but more importantly he crossed over the line and became an elite builder when he banged a finger with a hammer and developed a pea sized blood blister on his finger.

It's not a true AVS build until blood is spilled! Now it's a true build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Hey RTROSE, I left you a message in your inbox. We ( more of Big than me) were able to accomplish a good bit today. I put up the channel while Big worked on the conduits and HVAC tasks. We ran into a few issues, but nothing MCGYVER aka Big could not figure out. Being new to the forum and having very limited carpentry skills, I must admit that Big has taught me a lot and he is very patient. I'm quite sure at times he must think to his self what the hell is he doing over there now... Lol. Well, we ended the day by starting on the backer boxes. I will keep you guys posted.

PM received and reply sent. We all will be holding you to keeping us updated. Having Big there brings a certain level of attention, with that level of attention certain requirements are implied, like moment to moment updates and hundreds upon hundreds of photos.

Good luck and I (along with 1000's of others) will be eagerly watching,waiting, heckling and throwing the occasional compliment. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

post #21 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 AM

Thanks Vik, I have viewed your HT thread along with Landsharks thread and the bacon race thread probably 100 times each looking for ideas. So far this has been a great experience. Learning how to use some of bigs tools and actively helping with him watching me has made me want to quit my job and start doing this full time. But then I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps in both legs, lower back aching, and a busted finger wondering what the hell am I thinking Lol.
Well, 95% of the insulation is complete and either big or I will post recent pics real soon. We are taking a brief break and will resume soon.
post #22 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^New to the process and already starting with picture teases. You are cruel!

Looking forward to seeing the construction photos.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #23 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Liked: 15
Subscribed... but Nobody likes a pic tease... biggrin.gif
post #24 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Learning how to use some of bigs tools and actively helping with him watching me has made me want to quit my job and start doing this full time. But then I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps in both legs, lower back aching, and a busted finger wondering what the hell am I thinking Lol.
Well, 95% of the insulation is complete and either big or I will post recent pics real soon. We are taking a brief break and will resume soon.

It will all payoff at the end! Good to take a brief breaks!. In the mean time if you have already decided can you give us some details on the screen, projector, speakers and other equipment you will be using in your theater. Are you guys following a design plan for this build from AVS or Erskine group?
post #25 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm sorting through the pics, trying to find some that tell an interesting story.
post #26 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Subscribed. Should be fun..

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #27 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Big,

With you involved isn't always an interesting story? I though you automatically had interest "built into" all that you do. I tell you though that it's gonna get ugly if the natives don't get their pic fix. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

post #28 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Summary of chapter ONE - getting ready for drywall.

The original space was pretty wide open however there were several items that needed to be adressed prior to a building out the theater

1) The biggest was moving the pole in the center of the space. An engineer was called out, a plan was developed, the pole moved and the beam reinforced. $$$
2)The water expansion tank for the well was moved about 10 ft to get more room up front. (Plumber)
3) A sub-panel was installed in the adjacent utility room (Electrician)
4) One eight inch round metal duct was running down the center of a joist bay, we wanted to also run a supply duct to the theater in that space, so I removed and patched the original take off from the main line and moved it over a foot.
5) Oddly there was a electrical junction box tucked up in the ceiling which would have been covered by the drywall (Code violation) so we rewired it and moved it outside the theater to an accessible location.
6)There were two pull chain lights on electrical boxes on the ceiling which we removed, unfortonately they were in the middle of a circuit with a sump pump at the end, so we rewired that circuit
7) The lone small window which is under the deck got covered with plywood and insulation.

In the beginning was some raw space, it had a pole and the pole was moved, it was replaced by two poles farther apart. You can spot the footprint of the original pole just behind the far saw horse.

A small window is only a small problem, it's under the deck anyway. We'll just cover it.

Framing was pretty easy, just measure and build wall in sections one inch shorter than the shortest measurement. Stand them up and attach the tops with IB3 clips and the bottoms with the power gun.

Clipped the front for clearance issues with the furnace

I can only imagine that when they wired up the kitchen power supply to the under the sink counter island that the wire they had was a little short so they just added a junction box and another piece of wire, you can not leave a junction box buried in the ceiling. So, $30 later for a piece of 3 conductor wire and the problem was solved.

Somebody said where is the stud behind the pole, here is a different angle. Of note up at the ceiling joists is the extra blocking added for the wall clips and to secure the ends of the ceiling clips, PIA. Each piece cut to fit and toe screwed in place.

On the other side we were able to get away with smaller blocking

We installed 11 backer boxes, I tried some available on-line boxes because the time it would take to build plus materials would have ended up costing more, The jury is out on these boxes we had issues and I'm going to call the guy Monday. The name is QuietBox.

1 1/2 inch conduit for projector and power supply for projector.

Some wires and a shot showing the pole inside the theater, soon to be in a column

I let NYGF23 have all the fun and play with the putty on all the electrical boxes

Site of two future dedicated 20amp circuits for the equipment rack

I'm attempting to show that once the channels were hung when we attach the drywall it will hang below the water pipes and existing wiring. We did have to replace the bulky pipe clamps with a flatter version. I'm now having nightmares about the drywall crew not hitting the channel and putting a screw into a pipe. same for any soffits in the front of the theater. Bucket is on standby and I know where the closest shut off valve is.

Last day NYGF23 and I started in on the insulation, a little left as homework before my next trip back.

The last day was a special breakfast of champions, I thought cutting them in half was a nice touch to encourage us not to be be pigs, I hopped in my truck and headed to the golden arches for the BIG breakfast platter. Not sure if it was an omen but McD was out of forks, had to eat my pancakes with a spoon.

post #29 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Expecting eggs or sausage patties?? I hope you reminded the front desk that theater builders need protein.
post #30 of 819 Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Actually every other day they had a hot item or two to fulfill their marketing pledge of a Hot Breakfast. On my last day the morning "cook" was nowhere to be seen and I have to assume this was the best the dude working the desk could rustle up.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page