please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, i have just brought an optoma projector and want to connect it to my samsumg sound bar and my tv and dvd etc, the sound bar has an optical connection but the projector does not but they both have hdmi s shall i just connect with that? also when connecting the ps3 to the printer i use the optical lead that they both have what other lead do i need as is it true that the optical lead only carries sound?. sorry if i sound dumb but i am really new to all this

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Welcome to the forums.

TV, DVD, PS3, PJ and what else? Do you want the projector and the TV both to play with the soundbar? (simultaneously, or just one or the other based on your mood?)

It's hard to know how you might have them connected, but I'll assume that all the sources are connected to the soundbar, and then video is sent from there to the TV, via HDMI. If that's the case, there must be either two HDMI outputs from the soundbar (not likely, but possible), or you'll need an external HDMI switch. On the other hand, if the soundbar has other video outputs, you could run the HDMI to the PJ and then component or whatever to the TV.

Can you diagram how you have them connected? or can you describe how you want the system to operate?

And yes, optical cables only carry audio in this context - not video. I don't know much about playstations, but I've never heard on one being connected to a printer.

Fred
post #3 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

sorry i am setting them up tomorrow they are not set up yet, i will only play one thing at a time but would like it all set up to just switch about rather than unplug and move about all the time, what other cable do i need for picture then if using the optical lead
post #4 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Ok,

Let me see if I can help you with the confusion. You basically now have two displays (TV and PJ), a couple of sources (DVD, PS3,) and a sound bar.

Typically in most cases you would have your source, DVD player, connected to the TV via HDMI, and then optical from the TV to the soundbar, or HDMI from the DVD player to the TV and optical from the DVD player to the soundbar. If you don't have some type of AV receiver/switcher then you will have to swap HDMI cables from the display you want to the source you want. So it might be better if you get a AV receiver that can do the switching for you or go to monoprice and get an HDMI switcher so you don't have to swap cables all the time.

To answer your question, you will need an audio cable (optical or digital coax if so equiped) and a video cable (HDMI, component, composite, Svideo) to carry video signals.

Without knowing exactly what you have this is the best advise I can give you at the moment.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can post the model number of your soundbar, maybe we can help you through the owners guide to set it up to do what you want.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

That is it sounds good thanks, lets pretend i have no cables/leads at the moment i have a sone bravia tv, an optoma projector hd600lxv with no optical output but does have hdmi and the other standard ones a samsung airtrack hw e-450, a samsung dvd player bd e5500 a xbox 360, a wii and a ps3
post #7 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 761
This not going to simple, you need to connect your projector and TV to the HDMI output of the soundbar and it only has one output. There are other ways but one solution is to get an HDMI splitter.

Or you get something in the way of a switching receiver or Pre-amp that can take all your source gear and switch it to a dual HDMI output, then connect the receiver to the soundbar.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

i do have a copy of splitters i really wondered what cables for each piece of equipment and in what way it should all be done, i may buy a receiver in the near future but at the moment im a bit skint
post #9 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1970 View Post

That is it sounds good thanks, lets pretend i have no cables/leads at the moment i have a sone bravia tv, an optoma projector hd600lxv with no optical output but does have hdmi and the other standard ones a samsung airtrack hw e-450, a samsung dvd player bd e5500 a xbox 360, a wii and a ps3

Ok your blu ray player, Xbox and the PS3 will need HDMI cables to connect to the sound bar
The Wii will need composite with stereo audio or component with stereo audio

The problem is your sound bar only has one HDMI and two audio inputs (3 with HDMI) so you are asking the sound bar to do what it can't and switch sources and handle all the audio needs.

If you wanted to simplify you could take the Samsung BR player out and just use the PS3 for that. Use the optical and RCA audio inputs for the Xbox adn Wii, then you would only have to worry about switching the HDMI for the TV and the projector.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #10 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, can the wii/ps3/xbox connect to the projector (one at a time) ans then connect the pojector to the sound bar via the hdmi?
post #11 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Does your projector have ANY outputs? I doubt there is any way to pass a signal on to another device.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to understand that the soundbar takes the place of an AV receiver, but the AV receiver is designed to be a switch, while the soundbar is not. This is the heart of the problem. HDMI switching and splitting is an active process - any device that does it is powered and has microprocessors in it. Running two displays is not an entry-level feature.

Normally, as RTROSE was alluding to, each of your sources would connect to an AVR. You would use the AVR to select which device's video feed you wanted to send out (by selecting the input for that source), and the AVR would send out that video to the display on it's (typically) single HDMI or other video output, meanwhile it would process and amplify the sound for playback in separate loudspeakers. Your soundbar is capable of doing that for for only a few sources - the 1 HDMI, the 1 optical, and the 1 stereo analog (then there's the USB, which is useless in this scenario). You could connect your Blu-ray player or PS3 via HDMI, then the XBox via optical (if it has that?) and the Wii via stereo analog. Skip the DVD player, because you don't have enough inputs, and its function is made redundant by the Blu-ray player or PS3.

At that point you have all your playback options fed into your soundbar, and you just have to decide how you want to manage the single video output - the HDMI out. You could route two HDMI cables to the soundbar - one for the PJ and one for the TV, and then you would have to reach back there and swap cables when you swap displays. I wouldn't recommend this in general, because it is untidy, a hassle, and will wear out the port or the cables as you unplug them all the time. The other option is a HDMI splitter or switch. It often comes with a remote (and could be programmed to a universal, I expect) but needs a power outlet and will require an extra cable. So you run one HDMI cable from the soundbar output to the switch, and then two more cables - one to each display. You can get a switch for as little as about $12. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8150&seq=1&format=2
post #13 of 14 Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks everyone for the info, what i have decided to do for now till i get a receiver is forget the samsung dvd player and use the ps3 as one, the only thing is that on the ps3 i have the audio and vision set to hdmi so the ps3 has hdmi to the projector and an optical cable from the ps3 to the sound bar but as the ps3 is set to hdmi does anyone know how i can still have the vison through hdmibut unset the sound on the ps3 so it goes through the optical
post #14 of 14 Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the best I can do for you on the audio settings.

Hope this helps.

CLICKIE This should provide you a couple of options that will walk you through the process. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page