Door slab vs. safe & sound for soundproofing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm soundproofing my bonus room and running into a big issue....doors and french doors at that!

I can get safe and sound from HD prehung which is ideal since i have staggered stud the room and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall giving me a 7" depth total. And did i mention their french? Wife loves them too so forget telling me to go with a single.

The safe and sound is multiple layers of particle, mdf, etc..and epoxy which i would think is good, comprable to a slab?? It looks much better than the slab (think wife) and matchs the rest of the upstairs doors.

Any thoughts and particular products? I know i need to seal it too and the french aspect adds difficulty. One door will have a stop jam and I plan on sealing the doors at all sides, with at least the same stuff that seals your exteriors doors.

Please think budget, the doors alone are the max of my "door budget" if they are pre-hung and im thinking of getting HD to install them since they are HEAVY and im a one man show.

All advice is welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I think your wife has already made this decision for you. it is what it is. Just draw up a contract that says she is selecting a less than optimal door from a sound control perspective (double) and that she will not come down and yell at you to turn it down when she need to go to bed early. Have her sign it and and have it laminated. Keep it handy in the theater. When standard pre-hung door jambs are not wide enough I just add some pieces of wood/mdf extending them.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big, though not exactly the advise I was hoping for. Aside from the wife what were your thoughts on the safe and sound doors? Or is it the fact i'm tryng to go with french doors that make this so difficult? I was thinking of finding a way to use a slab door but superimpose a panel door (or look).

post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have been tempted to write an article for guys with french door wives. Seriously, it's that common. So no worries.

At the end of the day the door is rated based on its mass and seals. Get the heavier door.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #5 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
1Myke please forgive the thread jack... Can you just replace the door with the Safe and Sound Door or does the whole frame need to be replaced?

This one weighs 90lbs...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Safe-N-Sound-Textured-2-Panel-Arch-Top-Solid-Core-Primed-Composite-Prehung-Interior-Door-19068/202872595

Our Space
PSN: brotj7
post #6 of 12 Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ted and rfbrang, I was thinking i know im not the onl only comprimising here. That safe and sound door at HD is similiar to the one i was looking at, i was trying to get the thicker one, i think 1.75" if i recall correctly.

I was going to have them prehang it for me since they're double doors and no doubt require precision that i might not be able to replicate. They'll even install it for something like $90 i think which sounds like money well spent when you think if the size and weight. Since i did the staggered stud, DD (5/8",) and GG (thank you John Hile) I need the new door jam to fit the bigger frame. They can even install all the weather stripping seals like an exterior door. Then i figure i can save up and buy a door sealant system like sound proofing co or raven sells. I could also add the sweeper (sealing) systems in conjunction with the weather ealants till i buy the better system.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Have you thought about a slow close door hinges? Would it help avoid pinched fingers with the heavy doors?

Our Space
post #8 of 12 Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 10
How would this 90 lb molded door's performance compare to a 65 lb flush solid core door? This is a potential choice for me:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masonite-Smooth-Flush-Hardwood-Solid-Core-Unfinished-Composite-Interior-Door-Slab-605093/100088372#specifications
post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM

Liked: 25
I just ordered this safe & sound door for my theater room build & even got it on sale! Having it shipped to a Portland store so I can save the sales tax too! smile.gif

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202872600?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&productId=202872600&R=202872600#.UVvR-XDB420

post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Good thing you posted, the sale ends today. Can anyone tell me if we can take off 1-2 inches off the top and bottom of these?

We have two odd sized doors because of our ducting, and possibly 1 more frame that is not quite square. I don't know if I need to install the whole frame, or if I can just put these in the existing frames.

Our Space
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I can't see but are those 1 3/4" thick and I would also need 6 9/16" jam for double doors? Thanks and those are the ones Im looking at in hd too. They have a promo here to upgrade from hollow which I think is similiar.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 223
The link to HD is for a 1 3/8 door (click specifications)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page