10x18 dedicater theater possible? basement layout picture included - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy
We are in the middle of building a new home and are trying to lay out our basement floor plan. Below is what we have as of now. The only things set in stone is the bedrooms, staircase, and storage area locations/sizes. The over all basement is 28x62. As it currently stands with our best ideas puts the theater in the current shown location and is 10' wide by 18' deep. We are worried that that width cannot be accomplished. We also as of now intend to have the rear of the theater area open to the bar area but have a heavy curtain system to close off the theater from the bar if we choose or possibly wide french doors or something to where we have the option to seperate the rooms or leave them open to each other.
Having said all of that the overall layout is not set in stone other than the afore mentioned rooms. Bar, theater, bathroom, furnace room and the open pool table area can all be re arranged and we would very much appreciate your input and advice/ideas. Thanks for your time. Fred and Amber

P.S. to see a bigger picture go here http://akita.net/junk/basementtest.jpg thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I'll let others chime in about redesigning your space for you. smile.gif

To answer your current space question; yes that size can work out fine for a dedicated room. I'm just finishing up a 10' 7" x 22' theater room, and while it's certainly narrower than I'd have liked, it's going to work out fine.

One area that I see an issue with is the seating. Going three wide straight in a 10' wide room is no easy task (curved makes it pretty much impossible). You will have to have one against the wall to allow enough room for a walkway. I am running one of the narrowest versions I could find in a 3 wide setup, and allowing for a 24" walkway on one side, I have only a few inches on the other. If you center them in the room I don't see having enough room to move about comfortably. Also plan on about 4 - 5' in between the first and second row.

Are you planning on trying to squeeze a false wall in there or hang the screen on the front wall?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'll let others chime in about redesigning your space for you. smile.gif

To answer your current space question; yes that size can work out fine for a dedicated room. I'm just finishing up a 10' 7" x 22' theater room, and while it's certainly narrower than I'd have liked, it's going to work out fine.

One area that I see an issue with is the seating. Going three wide straight in a 10' wide room is no easy task (curved makes it pretty much impossible). You will have to have one against the wall to allow enough room for a walkway. I am running one of the narrowest versions I could find in a 3 wide setup, and allowing for a 24" walkway on one side, I have only a few inches on the other. If you center them in the room I don't see having enough room to move about comfortably. Also plan on about 4 - 5' in between the first and second row.

Are you planning on trying to squeeze a false wall in there or hang the screen on the front wall?

The seating isnt to scale or realistic. I do not have photo shop skills so i just cut and pasted them to get some seats in the area. I am just starting to get into this whole research thing so i do not know about a false front wall yet. Biggest concern at the moment is the overall layout and if it will work or not. I appreciate you chiming in already! Thanks!
post #4 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
No way you can steal three feet from the storage space? I assume the blue squares are structural columns. Considering this is new construction, 10' could work but would be compromised.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #5 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM

Fitting three rows into 18' will be impossible if you're using recliners. Just a thought.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing i really have to have is that storage area, that is set in stone. The rest i guess is subjective other than needing 2 bedrooms and a bath. How about this layout instead? http://akita.net/junk/basementtest2.jpg

post #7 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a million times better. You will be much happier with the space. That also provides a nice place where you can put the equipment rack in the back of the room and access it from the storage area. You could also use the storage area to house the projector with it firing through a window. I'd kill for that type of setup.

Achievement Unlocked

post #8 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Greetings and welcome to the forum/madness. You have just entered the HT Zone (cue creepy music).

I like your second proposal much better than the first. If fact I like it so much I used that exact same size for my theater. No kidding! I would have loved to be a couple of feet wider and about four to six feet deeper. Having said that the 13 x 20 is a very workable space and size to get a great theater. You will have to have realistic expectations on what you can do with the size.

You might have a hard time fitting two rows of chairs/recliners and a 3rd row bar. With the side entrance as you have it you might have to push the back row over against the wall to make room for the door swing/opening. With only 20ft of depth you will be a little on the short side to do AT screen and two rows. That is one of the main reasons why I did not go AT, I did not want to loose the floor space. Good thing as my oldest son regularly has 12-14 people in my 7 seat theater so that front real estate is very valuable.

Would like you to steal some additional space from the storage area in the back of the theater so you could do two rows and a bar seating or AT screen or if you take it all then you could do both pretty easily.

Will be looking forward to watching this come together. As this is a made from scratch build now is the time to maybe look into one of the design services and look at sound isolation/insulation. The only problem with AVS is that more more you learn and read the more you realize that you need to learn and read.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd also highly recommend visiting HERE.

Achievement Unlocked

post #10 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Second go-round looks much better. I'd flip the bar so you enter the theater at the lowest level. Or an alternative would be to flip the theater and reconfigure the closet and storage to get access to the storage space from the office/bedroom.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #11 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Talk to your building dept before finalizing your plans. Your Bedroom/Office has a closet, but no egress window. In my area, that's a huge no-no.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post

Talk to your building dept before finalizing your plans. Your Bedroom/Office has a closet, but no egress window. In my area, that's a huge no-no.

One will be there, i just didnt add it in this redo
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page