What are people using for step lights now days? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have search for a couple days and see most threads from like '07 where people use rope lighting, others using some sort of outdoor step lighting. I didnt really want to use rope lighting as I am thinking it might be too bright. I'd rather something more subtle so that you can see where my platform is. I picked up 3 of these (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Malibu-Low-Voltage-Half-Brick-Deck-Light-8301-2402-01/203202178) yesterday and a transformer all of which suggest outdoor use only. So i am planning on take them back. Is there anything else someone can suggest? My platform is 129" by 58". One side of the 58" is up against the wall. I planned on two lights in the front and one on the side. I have and outlet low enough on the wall that these lights will be turned on by a dedicated switch.

Theater Build thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I used these although i will add a caution as they are very bright and non-dimmable. http://www.pegasuslighting.com/led-mini-step-lights-louvers.html

I'm using colored gels to reduce the light output.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #3 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

actually, those were on my possible list to purchase once returning these malibu lights. I guess i was hoping for some low voltage lights, although that doesnt really matter. I was hoping the louvered design would help keep the light output rather low. Can you elaborate on the gels that your using? Sounds like something might need to purchase if i decide to use these lights. Also, i planned on running greenfield from the outlet in the wall to the electrical boxes in the platform. I want to also have an access panel somewhere to that outlet. These lights require their own boxes and conduit to install (which isnt a huge deal)

I'm not expert in this field as my basement theater section isnt going to come close to pictures of what i see on this site (man, some are sweet).

Are there any LED strip lights with transformers or something? Like i said, I'm planning on a projector and this light shouldnt really bleed to the screen if its not too bright.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You can find the gel sheets here I used a red gel but it cuts the light more than I want so I'll be ordering a lighter color.

My riser is only 9' from the screen and the lights were installed in the riser front. Without the gel installed there is too much light shining on the screen but some of that is because the riser step is so close so it reflects upward. It's not as bad on the side that doesn't have the step.

A number of people have used tape LED lights that you can attach to the underside of the riser lip and it has worked pretty well for them. You can have them plugged into a standard outlet and they are multi-color with a remote.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #5 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here's what I'm using.

Royal Pacific

Line level, so might not be quite what you are looking for, but they work just fine for me.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

actually those are not that bad. Much cheaper than the $30 led ones. Do the bulbs last quite some time? I assume they are dimmable since it is using a regular incandescent bulb

post #7 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Here's what I'm using.

Royal Pacific

Line level, so might not be quite what you are looking for, but they work just fine for me.

+1 on the Mini Royal Pacific step light, only I got mine from Wayfair. These were mentioned by "BIG" in another thread. They use a Christmas tree type bulb and are dimable. I am not sure you would want to dim them though as they give off just about the right amount of light the way they are. Mine say indoor/outdoor in the directions but the ones from Amazon just say indoor. Funny thing is that they are the same part number from both Amazon and Wayfair. They come with two faceplates. One with the louvres going horizontally and one with the louvers going vertically. They fit in and over a standard electrical box. You can easily spray paint the white covers to what ever color you might want. Overall, they are very nice step lights for the low cost.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thinking that maybe these would be worth the extra cash since they are led (last longer and less heat).
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Pacific-8908WH-Light-0-8-Watt/dp/B003D438YK

post #9 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post

Thinking that maybe these would be worth the extra cash since they are led (last longer and less heat).

The reviews say those are very bright and not dimable if that is important to you. With those being almost double the cost I think I like the others better and the others provide more options.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post

I haven't noticed any heat from mine. The 7 Watt bulb doesn't put out that much heat, and the amount of light for the step seems perfect to me. Enought to know where the step is when you need it, not enough to really draw your eye or reflect off the screen when you don't.

The longer lasting bit I will agree with. Already had to replace one bulb, but they are not expensive at all. Pretty sure that had more to do with my adjusting the different scenes on my light controller though. The initial dimming timer was set to 30 seconds from on to off. Haven't had a problem since I changed it to 10.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 21
These are the LED strip lights I ordered for underside of riser steps and lip.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
are folks putting the step lights on its own switch or connected with other lights? if other lights, which ones?
post #13 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 787
post #14 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235 View Post

These are the LED strip lights I ordered for underside of riser steps and lip.

A lot of people are using LED strips now instead of individual step lights. They will sometimes border an entire step, the entire riser lip, or even their entire base moulding.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I use the smd led light tape. Real easy to use and quite inexpensive. You can get 30ft of the stuff for under 20 bucks on ebay.
post #16 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Does anybody use step lights in their house? Meaning besides the theater? I'd like to do this on a couple of 10 step stairways in my house, for going to bed at night and getting up in the middle of the night smile.gif
post #17 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Nick. We have step lights on the stairway going down to the basement. They are mounted in the wall and have a frosted glass cover on them. They were installed by the electrician when we built the house, so I don't know the brand. However, they are similar to these.

Frosted Glass Step Light

I believe there are 4 of them installed and it is a split staircase (6-7 steps to a landing, then turn and 6-7 more steps to basement). They do a great job of illuminating the entire staircase, instead of just a step or two that they are close to.
post #18 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Thanks for that link. I'm not in a hurry to do this, but I think it'd help in my case, though only half the stairway is enclosed. And with the carpet treads, i'm not sure how those louvered ones would work. smile.gif
post #19 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the LED ones. I thought I'd share some pictures of them.

post #20 of 24 Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Does anybody use step lights in their house? Meaning besides the theater? I'd like to do this on a couple of 10 step stairways in my house, for going to bed at night and getting up in the middle of the night smile.gif

IGO2XS used the Dek Dots in a stairway in his house and I think they look outstanding. His build is "Mark's from the ground up cinema build" I believe. The product is Dekor Dek Dots.

For others who may be interested, I used these step lights in my HT and like them a lot.
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?sku=5969941&linkloc=singleSearchResult

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #21 of 24 Old 06-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldown768 View Post
I decided to go with the LED ones. I thought I'd share some pictures of them.

Which ones are those? Are they dimmable?

Thanks.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I believe these are the ones i used:
http://www.wayfair.com/Royal-Pacific...L-RYP2562.html

They are not dimmable. after the time and money i used putting them in, i hardly use them in my setup. I also probably only need the 1 and not the 3. I thought about trying to get something to maybe change the color slightly as well.

Because I have a carpeted platform, i didnt want to use incandescent. I wanted something cool that didnt produce a lot of heat.

post #23 of 24 Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Liked: 0
Yeah, my riser will be carpeted and i was thinking one on the step, and then one on each side of the riser to help illuminate the platform. The riser will be 12" high. Looking for something, just don't want it to be too bright.

My thought was to put them on a motion sensor so they turn on when you enter the room so you can see.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I used those with a Leviton motion sensor. Works fine but the swith won't shut them off completely, they are still just barely emitting light when it auto shuts off.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction