My HT quest begins...HELP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a home and am about to embark on my first home theater build. The room that I will be using is 12'6" x 15' and was constructed as a media room with a 12" riser. I want to finish this room with all the items that I need to enjoy 3D movies, streaming with Netflix & Hulu and the occasional XBox/PS3 gaming session. I want deep bass and at least a 7.2 surround system.

Here are some items that I am considering thus far:

Projector
I am considering an Epson 5020UB 3D projector.

Screen
I want a fixed 120" screen with 16:9 format, but have been reading about a curved screen that is designed a more immersed 3D experience.

Receiver:
I am considering an Onkyo TXNR5009 as my receiver.

HTPC
I am thinking about getting an HTPC with XBMC, but I am not to familiar with what set up to get and how to integrate it into my system. I do, however, like the format of XBMC and the idea of storing my movies on a hard drive. So, any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Speakers
I am considering two HSU VTF-15's for my subs or the HSU Ultimate 7.2.1 speaker system.

Seating
I am considering two rows of 3 power recliners

Beside the items listed above, what else will be bendficial or needed? Power amps/conditioner, etc..

I have budgeted $12k for the entire set up. I need help with choosing my system components and speakers. So, any advice on the items listed above will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigWill09 View Post

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a home and am about to embark on my first home theater build. The room that I will be using is 12'6" x 15' and was constructed as a media room with a 12" riser. I want to finish this room with all the items that I need to enjoy 3D movies, streaming with Netflix & Hulu and the occasional XBox/PS3 gaming session. I want deep bass and at least a 7.2 surround system.

Here are some items that I am considering thus far:

Projector
I am considering an Epson 5020UB 3D projector.

Screen
I want a fixed 120" screen with 16:9 format, but have been reading about a curved screen that is designed a more immersed 3D experience.

Receiver:
I am considering an Onkyo TXNR5009 as my receiver.

HTPC
I am thinking about getting an HTPC with XBMC, but I am not to familiar with what set up to get and how to integrate it into my system. I do, however, like the format of XBMC and the idea of storing my movies on a hard drive. So, any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Speakers
I am considering two HSU VTF-15's for my subs or the HSU Ultimate 7.2.1 speaker system.

Seating
I am considering two rows of 3 power recliners

Beside the items listed above, what else will be bendficial or needed? Power amps/conditioner, etc..

I have budgeted $12k for the entire set up. I need help with choosing my system components and speakers. So, any advice on the items listed above will be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum and the madness we call HT.

Photos of the room would be great, this will help me and others give advise on what you say and what we see as well. Sometimes a picture is truly worth a thousand words.

Epson 5020 - Excellent choice in a projector. I have seen one in action and it is a stellar performer.

I might be wrong, but I think a curved screen might only be available in 2.35:1. I am not aware of any 16:9 curved screens, but I could be wrong.

The Onkyo is a good choice. I would check out the specific owners forums and see what others are experiencing in their real world use of the product, goes for anything here not just receivers.

I know nothing about HTPC's others can chime in.

HSU subs and speakers are top notch. In that size of room with two solid subs like the ones you listed will really rock the house.

I think you will be hard pressed in fitting two rows of seats in that size of theater, you can do it but it will be very tight and the seating choices might be very limited.

Yes most certainly you can consider power conditioners and amps.

I'll give others a chance to chime in and provide some input.

Again welcome to the forum.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my bare bones theater room. I have a 8'6" ceiling.

Front right corner

Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a nice space you have there, a good starting point for sure. What is the distance from the wall to the riser? That will be your first row viewing distance I'm guessing. How deep is the riser? That will help in determining if a second row of chairs can go. You also might want to think of other seating options like bar or counter seating for the rear row.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a 13x 16 room and think my 110 screen is too big. Wish id went with a 100 instead

Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

I have a 13x 16 room and think my 110 screen is too big. Wish id went with a 100 instead

Blasphemy! biggrin.gif

Seriously, if it's too big you could just mask it off. Adjust the zoom and project a smaller, brighter image.

OTOH, if you put a screen in and think it's too small.. you're SOL.

Tim
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

RTROSE:

Thanks for the words of wisdom. My 12" riser is 7' deep and 8' from the front wall. After you mentioned a bar for the riser, I am growing warm to that idea because I do enjoy eating while watching a movie. I am thinking of a three person bar with two theater recliners for the front row.

You are right about the 2.35:1 for the curved screen. I just I proved how much I know about screens, lol.

Being that I am collecting a lot of 3-D movies, will a curved screen be better choice than a traditional flat screen? Do I need an anamorphic lens for the Epson 5020UB or does it matter? If I do need one, what is an appropriate one to get?

I am also considering putting in bump out columns where the sconces are. What would be a good depth, 3" 6"...?

Thanks!

vikgrao:

Thanks for the HTPC links. I will thoroughly educate myself on either building or buying an appropriate system for my needs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the HSU Utimate 7.2.1 surround system and whether the Onkyo TXNR5009 will be sufficient to drive the surrounds?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigWill09 View Post

RTROSE:

Thanks for the words of wisdom. My 12" riser is 7' deep and 8' from the front wall. After you mentioned a bar for the riser, I am growing warm to that idea because I do enjoy eating while watching a movie. I am thinking of a three person bar with two theater recliners for the front row.

You are right about the 2.35:1 for the curved screen. I just I proved how much I know about screens, lol.

Being that I am collecting a lot of 3-D movies, will a curved screen be better choice than a traditional flat screen? Do I need an anamorphic lens for the Epson 5020UB or does it matter? If I do need one, what is an appropriate one to get?

I am also considering putting in bump out columns where the sconces are. What would be a good depth, 3" 6"...?

Thanks!

vikgrao:

Thanks for the HTPC links. I will thoroughly educate myself on either building or buying an appropriate system for my needs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the HSU Utimate 7.2.1 surround system and whether the Onkyo TXNR5009 will be sufficient to drive the surrounds?

If you get the Epson yes you will need a lens. The lens "squeezes" the image to make it fit on the screen. Flat vs. curved well there are others here that can better answer the question but typically it comes into play with larger screens to help with some of the image issues associated with lenses. If you really wanted to have some valuable input go to the CIH forum here at AVS, they will answer anything you may ask and know what they are talking about.

Your columns size will be dictated by the size of the speaker you use, unless you are not going to use the columns to house the surround sound speakers. Then I would say if they are for aesthetic purposes then at least 6" to start with.

Welcome to the realm of the more you know, the more you know you need to know. Ya know? biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am not familiar with the HSU but try posting your query in the speaker section of this forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/89/speakers
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer your other question, the Onkyo will have no problem driving the HSU speakers.

Regards,

RTROSE