Door weight question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking to replace a hollow core interior door with a solid core door to block sound coming in. However, I'm having difficulty choosing one. First, it all depends on finding a source that I can order easily from and can deliver to the New York area. I would also like them to install it if available. Home Depot is my local area store.

The dimensions I need are 30" x 80" x 1.375". I will need to trim one inch from the top to make it 79" tall.

I would prefer to have installed the normal door knob set, but would it be worth it to use pull handles to avoid making the hole into which sound can leak in? Can I keep the door in place with magnets, for instance?

My Home Depot carries a JELD-WEN interior flush hardwood solid core door (composite), but I don't know it's weight.

On their website, there is this door claims to weigh 65 lbs with 90% wood content: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masonite-Smooth-Flush-Hardwood-Solid-Core-Unfinished-Composite-Interior-Door-Slab-605093/100088372#specifications

Then, there are plenty of doors around 26 lbs, such as this non-flush Masonite Safe n Sound:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masonite-Safe-N-Sound-Smooth-6-Panel-Solid-Core-Primed-Composite-Interior-Door-Slab-16784/202768988#.UVF-Vlcd-vg

Is this door's composition such that it would block as much sound as the heavier door? If so, the lighter door would be preferable. If not, what door weight or door composition would be ideal for the average interior without going overkill?

Do doors mentioning wood types such as maple, oak , etc ,as their wood types have better sound deadening than composite doors? I will be painting the door.

Also What type of screws and hinges should I need for mounting these doors?

Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 14
Don't know about the performance difference between the 65lb and 90 lb doors. But, in 1Myke's thread he noted HD will install it for you for ~$90.

I used "safe and sound door" as my search criteria which gave me the 90lb doors. It looks like they are ~107 for a 30"w x 80"h door.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Safe-N-Sound-Textured-6-Panel-Solid-Core-Primed-Composite-Prehung-Interior-Door-18863/202872573

I am really interested in what you find.

-Robb
post #3 of 3 Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I must have been deluged by all the information........ I didn't notice there was another thread asking almost exactly the same.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page