sound proofing a wall between my duplex and neigbhoor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I need some of your help. Just bought a 1920 duplex, brick with plater wall separating me from the neighboors duplex. I can hear conversations and banging doors. I really need to sound proof the wall and gain some privacy . I do not want to loose to much floor space because the house is already small. I have been looking into so many options i am confused. First has any one heard of Peacemaker ? it is a absorbent for sound made of recycled tires, Saw it on the Audiomute web site. I was thinking of putting one sheet of peacemaker on the wall then a sheet of Quiet rock and maybe green glue ? Maybe i am overdoing it ? Any way this is my first adventure in sound proofing and i need your advice and experience , thank you for sharing

Kathb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Do you own both sides?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

no i do not
post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 620
This is advice you can trust.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-solutions/soundproofing-walls/

I want to caution you that simply treating a wall may have disappointing results if there are flanking pathways like floor and ceiling joist spaces. Back to back outlet boxes and shared duct work can be other problems. Sound can also travel from your neighbors ceiling to the attic to your ceiling. You can't think of sound as traveling in a straight line,

Do you have any idea how the partition wall between your units is constructed? Today's standard their would be a massive wall from foundation up through to the roof.

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice.
I did look up the soundproofing company, i will phone them.

I am no expert on construction but from what i can see , because downstairs we openned a part of the wall is that it is brick and stone covered with layers of plaster..no wood on the that wall.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page