Shrader's new HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New to posting over here, figured I would start with a short thread on my new theater/bar build, and get some feedback from you guys. Comments, and criticism are welcome.

all the work was done by my brother-in-law, and myself, we stated the end of March 2012, and finished Dec. 22nd 2012. The basement was an unfinished block open space 25'x28'x8' we started by completely waterproofing the walls, never had an issue in ten years, rather be safe than sorry though.

in the beginning......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

In this pic you will see the beginning of the a/v rack framing on the far wall under where the 100"screen will be.....

This is the back wall, separating the utilities from the bar/ht area, and also where the bathroom will go in the right corner....

Bathroom framing...

bar framing.....

back side of bar area....

post #3 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

During the build, I seemed to run out of money quite often (shocker hey?) so I did smaller projects while saving money for the bigger ones, if that makes any sense? I wanted to build my own sub, after doing a ton of research on it, decided I could get more bang for my buck that way. I ordered a CSS Trio12APR15 from Bob at CSS, while waiting for it to arrive, I built the cabinet for it on a sunday afternoon.....

post #4 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

After the cabinet was "roughed in" I dropped it off at a buddies for the piano black finish, more on the sub later....

post #6 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

At this point, I had most of the framing all done, and started all of the wiring, I do not have many (if any )pics of that process, but there is 2 separate 20A circuits for the theater, and bar area, and another 20A circuit for the lighting. The lighting is in 2 seperate zones, one for the bar area, on dimmers, and another for the theater area on dimmers. Also ran a cat5 from the utility room, as well as coax,phone,speaker wires, and installed 2 2" sections of conduit in the wall behind the a/v rack, for future upgrades. After all of that we started hanging drywall....eek.gif

behind the bar...

post #7 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

the "closet" you see in the last pic is for the Beer storage unit:D

screen wall, a/v rack, and storage wall

Bathroom...

After all the drywall was hung, it was then a waiting game for the finisher to come do his parts, as that is something I WILL not do myself, then after he was done, it was the flooring guy waiting game (another thing i can not do).

Some goodies came in while waiting on the "hired help"

post #8 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

the drywall is finished, and the painting the wife and i did one night after work, and after the painting was finished, the flooring guy (another brother in law) mad quick work of the ceremic tile in the bar area, and the bathroom, and carpet in the ht area.....

looking at the screen wall....

also faced the bar with some free pine tongue and groove planks left over from a friends remodel.......

post #9 of 16 Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

More to come later...........

Thanks for looking!

post #10 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

next project was the drop ceiling, which was a HUGE PITA, I will never do another one as long as I live, we wanted a black ceiling, but after pricing the ceiling tiles, I was shocked at what they get for that syuff, so the search began on craigslist, we were able to find all of the 2x2 panels in white, and I painted them myself in the garage with a wagner paint crew sprayer. It was a huge mess, but saved a ton of money I did not take any pics of the process, mainly because I did not want any memory of what a nightmare it was.lol. There are pics of it in the finished project you will see shortly. I had ordered the furniture along the way, which came in, so we had to install it as there was no place to store it, along with that came some of the trim work.....

next I finished up the top and trim for the a/v rack and storage, the a/v area in the center is 20" high x 36" long, with an adjustable shelf, and each end is for storage, and the top is three pieces, all hinged to open separately, also had to open up some speakers and set them up temporarily as it was killing me to look at them every day in the boxes........

post #11 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

next it was back to the bar area, I decided to try and save some money on the bar top and back bar by doing the formica laminate myself, ended up being the easiest project of the build. We cut the 3/4 MDF to fit the top first, and fastened it all to the framing, then simply glued the laminate to it with contact cement (thanks, guy on you tube)......

post #12 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

at this point, there was still a lot of trim work to do yet, but the projector came in, so I naturally had to get that up and running. I ended up going with the Panasonic PT AR100U over the epson 8350, and could not be happier with it. I mostly watch sports with people over, so I wanted a PJ that could handle some ambient light, cuz watching sports with a bunch of guys in the dark seems a little creepy. I bought the PJ from Projectorpeople.com. and made my own mount from a tv wall bracket and some plumbing parts, cost was less than 20$

post #13 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

the sub made it's way back home, the pics really do not do it justice, my buddy did an amazing job on the finish, 8 hand sanded and buffed coats of clear, looks a foot deep in person.....

there is a grill on the front now, and am planning on selling this one, as it is not big enough for the room it is in, planning 2 stereo integrity 18" sealed one for each side of the a/v rack

post #14 of 16 Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Getting pretty close to finished now, the screen is in and up, and made some sound panels to help with the square room.

added a little neon to the room also

post #15 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

the finished product (for now lol)

Coming down the stairs.....

from the bottom of the landing.........

looking left from the landing .......

left of the bar..............

post #16 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter