Just Received a Bid for my Home Theater - PLEASE HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am putting out three bids for my media room (25ft x 16ft) and will have 3 LED Tvs (a 70in in the center; and two 55ins on each side). I received my first quote back today, and would appreciate any/all advice regarding the quote and your expertise advice/thoughts. Much appreciated:

- Snap AV Strong 21U Rack Package -- $1,020
- Furman MX-8x2 8 outlet power conditioner -- $198
- Apple TV 3rd Generation -- $99
- Netgear 8 port Gigabit switch -- $79
- Liberty 6 Meter HDMI (x3) -- $82 -- $246
- Liberty 2 Meter HDMI (x5) -- $39 -- $195
- XANTEXH 283M Blink Mouse Emitter (x12) -- $15 -- $180
- Integra DTR-40.4 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver -- $1,200
- Wyrestorm SP0104 1x4 HDMI Splitter (x2) -- $199 -- $398
- Fixed Mount with 0-5degree Tilt (x3) -- $279 -- $837
- Paradigm Millenia 20 - LCR (x3) -- $579 -- $1,737
- Paradigm Millenia ADP Surround Sound (x2) -- $749 -- $1,498
- Paradigm AMS-100R - In-Ceilin/In-Wall -- $219
- Paradigm DSP-3200 Subwoofer -- $849
- Materials, Interconnects, Etc -- $175
- AirPort Extreme Base Station -- $179
- Savant SSC-0007-10 Smart Control (x2) -- $700 -- $1,400
- Savant HST-4001-00 Savant Host Controller (1U Rack Space) -- $2,800
- Installation and Programming -- $5,000

Discount (5%) -- ($956.86)
Tax (8%) -- $1,130

TOTAL: $19,311
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A home theater is more than a bunch of electronic boxes. Do you have a room to install all of this in yet?

Price talk is generally frowned upon here.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
What's the question?

Looks like you're building a sports / media room, not a theater. For movie watching, you've sacrificed a large amount of screen real estate on the main screen for such large secondary screens. A projection system with a much larger screen and a DVDO switcher could get you a nice PIP solution (two images instead of three, though).

The Savant gear isn't doing much for all the money involved, IMO... You will need a solution for input switching the TVs, assuming they don't have RS232 (and you have to rely on routed IR). I don't see any sources listed, are there more than two (which is what the HDMI splitters indicate).

As petew said, we'd have to know the room details to provide better feedback - and some goals as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses and feedback. I am new, so didn't know the taboo discussion around disclosing prices (I did so to see if others out there could provide clues on if those are fair prices or not).

My goal is to primarily use the room for sports, but to have a designated larger center TV for movies, SuperBowl, etc. I like the idea of using a Savant system (or something similar) to eventually extend its use to the rest of the home for other automation items.

Jeff, each TV will have its own designated DirectTV box.

Given I want an advanced 3-TV system, I get the sense from PeteW that this is too over the top? Wouldn't the Snap Rack hold all the components? The company that put together this bid came out to the property and saw the amount of space I would be utilizing, so I assumed this wasn't too much for the space, but appreciate further input.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It all depends on how confident you are about DIY.

Most here would not be willing to spend half the budget on Savant control, installation + programming. The last three items really stand out.

Cheers,
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Savant, like any other professionally installed control system, is going to be expensive. It is what it is. If you don't want to spend a crap ton of time learning and programming, and want a single GUI, that's what you have to spend.

I don't think that's an unusual amount of money to spend on a top of the line control system.

If you can demo the control system in a reference home, you could confirm that the install company is good for it, before dropping the cash.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Neurorad. That is a very helpful response. I work about 70hr weeks and am not terribly technologically inclined. It is a significant amount of money for me, but will be spending a lot of time in that room enjoying it - so having a great system that is fairly user friendly (on top of eventually using the system for security system, lighting, shades, thermostat, etc) is important to me. I appreciate the responses.