Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 129 Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post

Did you have someone design the acoustical treatment layout or was that all DIY?

Trying to get a feel for the depth of the walls. Looks like 2" of OC70x covered by fabric frames.

What is the depth of your columns from the wall?

What is the depth of the frames covering the OC70x?

Hey Jimmy,

DIY on the acoustic layout. I put enough hours in studying this forum to know 85% what needed to be done. I traded a few e-mails with Brian Pape at http://www.gikacoustics.com/ for some thoughts too. He is awesome....I didn't end up buying anything from them but their site and his posts on home theater shack were very helpful. I also read just about everything Ethan Winer published too.

I like a room with a bit of acoustic "control" vs an overly loose sound, so it's an absorption focused plan. If I had a bit more room depth to play with I would have incorporated more diffusion.

I planed and had the fabric frames built so I could do some tweaking on acoustics after it was done....but it turned out just as I hoped. smile.gif

You are right, 2" OC703 glued to the wall and then covered with fabric frames. Here is a bit more detail in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465533/like-a-boss-theater-build/30#post_24052874

The columns are 8" from the wall. (14" wide) We debated on the depth of the columns for a bit. I mocked up several as I wanted depth but didn't want to block too much of the access to the stairs. The 8" x 14" turned out to be a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Wow, what an inspiration.  I'll be working with an 18x18 space and my biggest concern was fitting enough seating in there for two rows (also going with the Jives).  I see that at 19x19, you were able to comfortably fit two rows in here, so I'm no longer worried :-)

Thanks

We like the chairs...and the trays are awesome! They are not quite as "stout" as larger chairs as there is a bit of "wiggle" to the arms. But you can't beat the width of them.

Two rows will be fine for you. Just know that he last row is so close to the back wall that the bass is too boomy when sitting there for action movies. Front row is our money seat for blu-ray and even DVD movies. But we move to the back row for HDTV. (just too compressed) Most of the TV programming we watch lacks heavy LFE so it works for us.

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I was taking some pictures and looking at the SDE vs the weave....and thought I would do a screen shot:

Here is my build thread:

post #123 of 129 Old 04-28-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'm not sure what you are showing here?
Is the Screen Door Effect of the Epson LCD visible from your seating distance? You chose the EluneVision AudioWeave 4k over Centerstage XD to eliminate visible weave. Surely that isn't impacting the image...which looks fabulous by the way.

I almost missed the completion of your theater. Nice contrasting color choices and a great classic look.

post #124 of 129 Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I'm not sure what you are showing here?
Is the Screen Door Effect of the Epson LCD visible from your seating distance? You chose the EluneVision AudioWeave 4k over Centerstage XD to eliminate visible weave. Surely that isn't impacting the image...which looks fabulous by the way.

I almost missed the completion of your theater. Nice contrasting color choices and a great classic look.

Ya sorry that was a confusing post. I should have just said, here are some screen shots. smile.gif

The SDE is not visible 99% of the time especially with bluray. In bright light monotone, especially all white, scenes I can see it a bit. Every once in a while I'll take a close look to see if I'm noticing SDE or weave...it's the SDE. My wife claims she can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Thanks!

Ok here is another set of shots:

No A-lens:

With A-lens:

Here is my build thread:

post #125 of 129 Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yowza!
Yup, I don't know how people watch scope movies on a 16:9 screen.
These two shots you posted say it all.

post #126 of 129 Old 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Great looking room!!! Your dimensions are pretty similar to mine but I didn't see posted anywhere the height of your ceiling, I was just curious how tall it is so I can compare with different design ideas I'm contemplating?
post #127 of 129 Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogloraptor View Post

Great looking room!!! Your dimensions are pretty similar to mine but I didn't see posted anywhere the height of your ceiling, I was just curious how tall it is so I can compare with different design ideas I'm contemplating?

Thanks!

My ceiling is 12' at max. The soffit is at about 9' 10"

Hope that helps

Here is my build thread:

post #128 of 129 Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks! And it does help.
My room is 22x24 (pre construction) but I only have a 10ft ceiling.
So I'll probably steal some design ideas from you if ya don't mind and I'm sure I'll be back for plenty more questions once the construction begins smile.gif
post #129 of 129 Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogloraptor View Post

Thanks! And it does help.
My room is 22x24 (pre construction) but I only have a 10ft ceiling.
So I'll probably steal some design ideas from you if ya don't mind and I'm sure I'll be back for plenty more questions once the construction begins smile.gif

Steal away! All my ideas came from AVS smile.gif

Here is my build thread:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Triad , Subwoofers , Triad Inwall Gold 6 Lcr
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page