Hello all. First time to post but have been perusing these boards for a couple years now. It is finally time for me to start down the road to a home theater and looking for ideas, nudges, kicks in the butts to reality, etc.
My wife and I built a house about 18 months ago and had them add a framed unfinished space for the theater on the second floor. Live in Oklahoma so not many basements here with the water table. The main dimensions are approximately 19'8" X 12' on a 9 foot plate. See simple diagram below.
The overall goal is a Dedicated Movie Room only. I have a 450 square foot gameroom for sports and consoles with a multitude of TVs, pool table, poker table and wet bar which is about 10 foot away. Budget is TBD
, as I have so many unknowns such as equipment, most of my AV equipment is a little old. I will sacrifice the equipment to get the bones correct and use my HK AVR630 temporarily if the budget goes a little wild. I would like to do a lot of it myself but with time constraints will probably farm out some items to speed up progress.
Right now I am working on the following so any help is appreciated:
1) Soundproofing. I have read articles upon articles on this and gleamed a lot of insight. I plan to call The Soundproofing Company to discuss in the next day or two. The only sketchy part I have is the inclusion of a second wall for the screen so I can hide the front speakers. I currently have Axiom M60 Fronts and a VPS 150 center channel. How deep should this be, hows the best way to hide access point?
2) AV Rack - To begin the framing on this part, need to choose a rack. I am looking at the Middle Atlantic Slim 5 29U as it will be sitting on a 3-4 foot ledge of the adjoining attic (bottom 3 foot is Living room cieling and then the trusses). I dont think I need anymore then that size wise as I have a central AV room for the house which holds all the gear for the whole home audio and video setups and NASs. Looked like CustomerAVRack had good pricing on this but havent seen them mentioned does anyone use them?
3) Snack Bar - I havent seen it, but I may have missed it, but thinking of doing a hidden snack area as I dont want to impact the design. Plan is to mount a Movie Picture trimmed out on hinges to cover a fridge and microwave, etc. and have a matching one on the opposite wall.
4) Seating - I really like the idea of 2 rows plus a bar height section. Will this fit, I havent researched the exact chair I want, but want the HT reclining models. I believe on some of the build threads, people were doing 20 foot deep theatres with the 3 rows, but not sure what screen size they were looking at.
5) I like the tray ceiling with the accent lighting, but with the ceiling framing done, is it recommended to do on a 9 foot plate especially when I need to do some major soundproofing below which might eat up height? Doubt I would want to undertake raising the ceiling joists that are in place.
6) Plan is for 2 sconces on each side at 1/3rds which could become columns if the space is there after the soundproofing, so is TBD
7) HVAC: have the cpacity for this room, but no ducting ran at this point. Any pointers on what to watch for besides making to cool the AV rack appropriately with vent.
8) Where would you all see placing the projector. Not sure if I could center it in the back wall or not, which would then need to be cooled I would guess. I have no idea on projector, want 1080P, no 3D, mid level I guess. There are no windows.
9) Professional Design, something most definately will look into as I havent the slightest on placements of the speakers and so forth.
10) Curtains/Diffusers/Treatment Panels
I will add pictures of the space when I get home, forgot to bring them with me.
Any design elements I have missed in my research? Mostly at the point of just budgeting out the framing, soundproofing, HVAC and getting pieces laid out.