Power use / design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have gutted a room to build a theater and I want to make sure the I am on the right track for wiring before I start drywall / soundproofing.

The room is 11'6" x 20 x 9. I have access to one currently unused 20 amp circuit, and a couple of lightly used 15 amp circuits.

Here's what I am thinking:

15 amp - all lighting via Grafik Eye (screen wash cans, soffit cans / ropes, riser step). Would also like to have all outlets, and the projector on this circuit.

15 amp - Equipment Rack. I am going to frame in a counter outside the room, and I am planning to install two MA SRSR 16u racks for the equipment (hoping the 2 racks make sense).

20 amp - Two SVS PC 12 NSD subs located behind the screen wall.

My understanding at this point is that I can run the power into the room through 1 hole, and do all additional wiring mounting through soffit, columns, stage and riser. Does this sound accurate?

My question is whether or not this plan sounds sufficient / appropriate. Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I'd put the subs on the 15A not used for lighting, and move the projector onto the dedicated 20A circuit with the rack(s). That also allows you to run the projector off of conditioned / UPS power from your rack if you so desire...

Dedicating the 20A circuit to the subs with 800W between them leaves a lot of power capacity "stranded", IMO.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff,

Thanks, and I will do that. I was reading through your thread this morning. Awesome build and I love the way you laid out the thread. I am going to go back and study your wiring / HVAC sections. I want to get the prewire and HVAC done so I can get the insulation and drywall done before it gets hot in AZ.

So the plan is:

1. Run the 20 amp to the rack location (outside the dw bunker) and a powerbridge coming off of the conditioned rack to the pj location.
2. Run the 15 amp to the GE location (outside the room, left of the equipment rack).
3. Run two more (lightly used) 15 amp circuits directly in the room (one for subs, one for outlets).

4. All power (powerbridge, zone runs from GE, 2 addition 15 amp circuits) into the room from a single drywall bunker hole.
5. Run and mount all lighting / outlets inside the bunker using soffit / columns / stage / riser.

Does this sound accurate?

Thanks,
Pat
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page