New House and New Dedicator Theatre Room... Will this work for a projector and screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So we are moving into a new house in a couple of months and this is the room I have to work with to build the theater. Not ideal but workable I think.

I plan to refinish it with drywall and new flooring but the dimensions will mostly stay as is (though I might loose an inch in floor to ceiling height due to floating floor.

I want to do a projector and given the layout of the doors, etc. I will likely project onto the left wall in the picture, sitting against the right wall. Its almost a square room, and their are no windows in the room (they are in the laundry and study room). Unfortunately there is a large bulkhead covering duct work. I'll put the servers and maybe the components in the workshop (already has built in shelving).

Ideally I'd be projecting against the wall opposite the stairs but the wife is against the idea of our backs towards the stairs (I don't really blame her) so Ive got to make the left wall work.

Whats my best bet? I am mulling something between a 106" to 92" screen. I am not sure a ceiling mount would work give the bulkhead. I'd have to drop it about 2 feet to clear the bulk head.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Figure out your seating arrangement and room layout first, then worry about the projector and screen size. The projector can be mounted on the ceiling, it will "clear" the bulkhead as long as the screen is not above the bottom of the bulkhead (easily).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The picture will help the smart guys here see what you are dealing with for bulkheads however a floor plan drawing would be helpful as well. Draw it out or use paint with dimensions and you will get helpful suggestions.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRich View Post

Ideally I'd be projecting against the wall opposite the stairs but the wife is against the idea of our backs towards the stairs (I don't really blame her)

I'm sorry...but I have to ask. confused.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Feng Shui. Its bad Feng Shui to have your back to a doorway. Apparently. ;-)

I don't go for that but in some respects I could see how it could be unnerving if intently watching something, to have someone sneak up behind you unawares as you back is to the main room entrance.

I'll work on a floorplan diagram next (need to take a few more measurements first).
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 03:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I was just explaining to my wife your plight while extolling her virtues as I'm lucky enough to have a wife who absolutely appreciates the design of the theatre around function. My wife requested I post her reccomendations in your thread.

1. Orient the room the way you want it for optimum audio and video (There is no exception to this.).
2. For seating use an L shape sectional couch, if she sits in the corner L she can easily see the stairway to her side with minimal immersion loss.
3. Go 11.2 surround sound so that she is so immersed that she forgets about the stair case.
4. Get a new wife.

Seriously though, the sectional L couch might be a great compromise.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page